Did a stupid thing !

It is better to tap into the CP lead and terminate that. Cutting the mains supply to the car suddenly can cause voltage spikes which could damage the charge controller.
I don't understand this and I'll explain why.
There are occasions when the car has been charging overnight and continues to charge even at 8am when I disconnect charging (at the house socket end).

By your logic this could create a spike and cause damage to the car but :
A. I've never suffered any bad issues and
B. As far as I'm aware there is no warning listed in the owners manual, to this effect ?

Dave

I don't understand this and I'll explain why.
There are occasions when the car has been charging overnight and continues to charge even at 8am when I disconnect charging (at the house socket end).

By your logic this could create a spike and cause damage to the car but :
A. I've never suffered any bad issues and
B. As far as I'm aware there is no warning listed in the owners manual, to this effect ?

Dave
OK. It's your £30,000 car. I personally wouldn't risk it. If you unlock the car, the BMS performs a soft shutdown of the AC charger in the car.

In point "A", you should have added "yet". It all depends where on the AC sine wave the power cuts off. For each cycle you have a 1 in 180 degree chance of hitting the positive peak, and 1 in 180 degree chance of hitting the negative peak. It's a roll of the 180 faced dice. :)

Hi Tim, as I said earlier, the granny charger wasn't connected to the car, it was merely laid across the trapdoor ready to be connected at midnight
a possible future tip/precaution. Plug cable into car, leave plug end unplugged, dangling cable might be less damaging. Don`t know but EV might not even allow you to drive, plugged in ???. I`m sure someone on here knows that?

Hi Boys & Girls, prepare yourselves for a shock !!

On thurs I received a voicemail message at mid-day saying that my car was - wait for it - ready for collection !!!!!

A pal drove me down and I found my ZS EV washed, updated, door mirrors working perfectly, sunroof no longer clicking and fully charged .

On the way back - about 100 kms of mountain and forest roads - she performed beautifully and if anything more economical that before ??????

Tonight with be the first time in nearly 5 months since I charged her at home, so looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Thanks to you all for your support, it's been a pretty sh*tty time but now I'm hoping I can renew my love affaire with my EV.

Cheers

Dave
After all of your aggravation, I`ll bet that you`ll NEVER ever casually drape the cable anywhere again. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 😒
Enjoy renewing le`love affaire, she`s worth it 😍
live long and prosper BigLad 🖖

Well of course it was never going to be that straightforward was it ?

Since getting my EV back I've only used it 3 or 4 times so not much charging involved.

But as I was going a bit more of a distance (birthday lunch) I thought I'd connect up and charge overnight. To my complete surprise there were no rubber bungs for the charging sockets - there were two rubber socket covers in the car before I handed my car in for repairs, but no longer ????

Also the rubber door seal on the front passenger door opening is torn ...

Another e-mail to my esteemed supplier of electric driven pleasure "Please replace these missing and faulty items, any time soon would do .

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom