Difference between Eco, normal and sport modes

You want to try having big feet and being a retired bus driver. Probably explains why my m/kWh are low 🤣

This explains a lot.. I was driving behind a red MG4 last week and it pulled into every bus stop, let a few passengers out, then pulled out right in front of me every time I went to overtake 🤔😂

Old habits die hard, eh? 😜

This explains a lot.. I was driving behind a red MG4 last week and it pulled into every bus stop, let a few passengers out, then pulled out right in front of me every time I went to overtake 🤔😂

Old habits die hard, eh? 😜
Sorry I thought you were letting me out by flashing your lights and sounding your horn. I'm sure I waved at least one finger at you in thanks 🤣

You may joke but it has been known for me to find myself using a bus lane in my car. Luckily it wasn't covered by cameras 😁

Sorry I thought you were letting me out by flashing your lights and sounding your horn. I'm sure I waved at least one finger at you in thanks 🤣

You may joke but it has been known for me to find myself using a bus lane in my car. Luckily it wasn't covered by cameras 😁

Ahh yes, I did see the old One Finger Salute, and I thought to myself 'what a thoroughly nice bloke' 😂

Hey, we've all been there, It once took me a week or so of driving back towards my old house after work before I convinced myself we'd moved house and started driving to the right house. It is only a mile away, though 😂

Pretty sure the new tenants got a shock when I walked in every day and put my keys in the bowl 🤔

Apart from any effects it has on the car's systems - and in Eco I believe the AC can drop into a low power mode as well - Eco mode promotes efficient driving in the mind of driver, partly achieved through the dulling of the throttle response and partly through the visual reminder that the car is in "eke-out-the-range" mode.

Psychological factors like this only work with certain people - which is why when they enable Eco mode and drive differently, they then report their great results and praise Eco mode.

Others drive the same way regardless of mode and even compensate for it - eg push the accelerator harder to get the same response - and then loudly complain how Eco does nothing / is useless / etc...

For people who drive their cars hard, Eco is particularly irrelevant (why would you), but then they will complain "the car only does 2m/kWh" when in fact it is a driver limitation, not the vehicle.

Is there any difference for xpower, like 4 wheel drive or only rear wheel drive in certain modes (eco?)

Is there any difference for xpower, like 4 wheel drive or only rear wheel drive in certain modes (eco?)
Yes. I think Sport & Snow are AWD and Normal & ECO are RWD (unless you "kickdown" then the front motor joins in). All shown in the energy consumption graphics. Custom by its very nature can be customised to various power outputs.

Last edited:
Yes. I think Sport & Snow are AWD and Normal & ECO are RWD (unless you "kickdown" then the front motor joins in). All shown in the energy consumption graphics. Custom by its very nature can be customised to various power outputs.
As per testing my Xpower on the snow, and looking at the energy consumption graphic to show where the power is going, I can get the Xpower to be RWD even in snow mode, if I very gently use the throttle. But the threshold of adding the front axle is very low on the throttle, and immediately when wheel spin occurs it will go over to AWD anyway. But I can manage to get it to creep very slowly in snow mode and AWD up a hill if traction is sufficient. The energy consumption graphic is supported by the feel of the car to be accurate.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back