Disappointing journey home

Welcome to the forum also, firstly off don’t get disheartened as you stated in your first post your new to EV motoring and it’s a learning curve that most people have gone through, as you are doing.
One thing I don’t understand is you said you started a 95 mile journey to Cardiff with 175 on the GOM ( Guess O meter ) and had 30 miles left after your trip so you used 145 Gom miles to do your trip of 95 miles.

So first thing you have learned is that you can’t really rely on the GOM as it changes in lots of ways, just some are the way and how fast you drive, also the types of roads you are driving on, another is what you are using, you said you had the A/C on well that alone will use around 15% of your Gom range radio won’t use much as that runs from the 12 volt battery, but HVAC for cooling or heating takes a lot from the main traction battery and will reduce your range quite a bit but you will learn what’s best for your car and the way you use it,
just give yourself time and don’t get disheartened, and as I have said above a little bit of forward planning gets you almost anywhere you want to go with an EV.

Les.
Great advice from Les !.
Can I also suggest, that when taking on a NEW long unknown journey next time, that before you set off reset BOTH of your trip counters.
As your estimated / predicted range will be based on your historical driving data.
Your previous results may have been achieved in good weather and with not HVAC being used and with some town driving.
If you then commence a unknown trip of motorway driving, in poor weather conditions that requires the use of the heater etc.
Then your predicted range on the GOM will fall faster than you expected, as the car recalculates / reevaluates the changes.
This will see you coming up short
on the original predicted range, unless you reset the trips B4 you set off.
The accumulative counter ( if not reset for a while ) tends to be the one that will be at fault.
But reset BOTH to be sure !.

Last edited:
Long round trip to Cardiff yesterday - hoping to do a 150kW rapid charge at BP Newport as we had <30%.

Both bays were taken but we waited thinking that they would be quick - one Kona driver fell asleep and charged to 92%, an Audi E-tron S5 Quattro charged to 96%!

After a >30min wait we had our chance #sigh Not sure about the etiquette but it’s a pain - can’t expect everyone to be thoughtful I guess.

Long round trip to Cardiff yesterday - hoping to do a 150kW rapid charge at BP Newport as we had <30%.

Both bays were taken but we waited thinking that they would be quick - one Kona driver fell asleep and charged to 92%, an Audi E-tron S5 Quattro charged to 96%!

After a >30min wait we had our chance #sigh Not sure about the etiquette but it’s a pain - can’t expect everyone to be thoughtful I guess.
Tesla style overstay fees are likely needed. Possibly kicking in after 90% on rapids.

My 38kwh Ioniq was a pretty slow charger and range limited, and occasionally I would need to go to about 95% to avoid stopping again on a long trip, but charge operators need to start with over stay fees.

No laws on running a cable across the pavement if you're charging 😁

I've not needed to since upgrading from 30kwh leaf to MG5 EV but if I did need to charge at home I'd probably use a cable cover.

But can definitely feel your pain, being in that leaf in 2019 it was quite rough... Having to get towed to a Tesco 7kw (so 3kw in leaf) because both north and southbound chargers at Taunton were broken 🤦.

Honestly looking forward to my next long drive now I've got the MG, hopefully won't have to study zapmap quite so much!
You could always use one of these to CYA.
A tenner on Amazoo.

Attachments

• D8A2FA9D-67C5-4551-93D2-BBFDB6B7606F.png
    D8A2FA9D-67C5-4551-93D2-BBFDB6B7606F.png
    714.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DB9C1584-A067-449E-B0FA-788AE4C48B6C.png
    DB9C1584-A067-449E-B0FA-788AE4C48B6C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Great advice from Les !.
Can I also suggest, that when taking on a NEW long unknown journey next time, that before you set off reset BOTH of your trip counters.
As your estimated / predicted range will be based on your historical driving data.
Your previous results may have been achieved in good weather and with not HVAC being used and with some town driving.
If you then commence a unknown trip of motorway driving, in poor weather conditions that requires the use of the heater etc.
Then your predicted range on the GOM will fall faster than you expected, as the car recalculates / reevaluates the changes.
This will see you coming up short
on the original predicted range, unless you reset the trips B4 you set off.
The accumulative counter ( if not reset for a while ) tends to be the one that will be at fault.
But reset BOTH to be sure !.
I don't really understand the logic of resetting the trip counters. You're swapping a guess based on past driving for a guess based on a SAIC unknown constant. Surely the advice here is to realise it's a guess and start learning to work out yourself how driving affects the state of charge. In an ICE did anyone only ever look only at the guess o'meter? I think the petrol gauge is the main indicator of range for an ICE in the same way the state of charge should be for an EV.

I never reset the trip counters in my last 2 EV's. The GOM is just an indicator of when you should start looking for a charger. How low you want to take it is down to personal choice. :)

This is all good verified points, but we have to remember that some new EV drivers can be fooled into believing that the range predicted by long term trip, is actually achievable in actual range in the real world by the car !.
Based on what the GOM predicts as a possible / achievable range that is predicted on what the car has been used for previously on any historical trips.
E.g - This may have been as a result of taking short journeys via town use at low speeds with no HVAC use, in good weather conditions.
A new EV owner maybe fooled into believing that this predicted long term range on the GOM and then sets off on a new unknown trip in poor weather conditions.
with the HVAC now in use.
The new EV owner is left finding it hard to understand why his estimated range is falling faster than he / she first thought !.
The GOM is purely that, it is basing its estimate / prediction of range on your previous historical driving patterns.
It is easy for a new EV owner to be fooled into believing that this predicted range is actually achievable in real terms.
We have all seen on the forum, new EV owners actually reporting a predicted range figure, that can be higher than the official WLTP figure of the car ?.
Why - Because they trust the figures of the GOM to much !.
The GOM is called that rightly so, for that very reason.
But it can be trusted a little more accurately
IF the base line it is working from is more accurate by resetting the trip.
More experienced EV owners are very likely not to bother, but do know their cars a little better.
Horses for courses I guess !.

Last edited:
Hi guys

How do I rest the trip meters as
I need to know the mileage of each trip? Can’t find it in the online manual😩

Hi guys

How do I rest the trip meters as
I need to know the mileage of each trip? Can’t find it in the online manual😩
Go to the screens that show the current journey or the accumulated total and look at the bottom of the screen, it shows the instructions on how to reset, namely press and hold OK.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom