Discharge for power tools

regnak23

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Bought a discharge cable and was trying it out for the first time in anger on Monday after testing with a hair dryer. The reciprocating saw worked fine (@1400w) but the large 9" angle grinder tripped something and didn't work. Only 2000w so had to use mains for that. Pity! Probably best for lighter use or multiple small loads. The startup load is probably the issue - Makita GA9020S/2. Had hoped the 3000w discharge would be enough. Oh well, off to buy a genie for my house build...!

Depends on what the V2L cable is rated for. (There's a resistor in the Type 2 plug, and the value tells the car how much power to deliver. Mine will give the best part of 7kW).

It might not be the power requirement. I bought a V2L adaptor to run my tumble drier using free work electricity but as soon as I plug it in the car trips out. Everything else I've tried works fine.

Depends on what the V2L cable is rated for. (There's a resistor in the Type 2 plug, and the value tells the car how much power to deliver. Mine will give the best part of 7kW).
Coulnt agree more, mine will run the dishwasher & washer/dryer, at the same time via V2L.

The cable is meant to be good to 2.5kW and the RCD is 13amp so ok to just over 3kW. I'll test the angle grinder on a main/meter and see what it peaks to. The car itself cuts off, the RCD is fine, have to restart at the car end to get it working again.
Where did you get a 7kW discharge cable?! Think I read about self made ones here somewhere....

The cable is meant to be good to 2.5kW and the RCD is 13amp so ok to just over 3kW. I'll test the angle grinder on a main/meter and see what it peaks to. The car itself cuts off, the RCD is fine, have to restart at the car end to get it working again.
Where did you get a 7kW discharge cable?! Think I read about self made ones here somewhere....
Try without the RCD. I used to trip the circuit breaker in the local church hall if I plugged my drill into the RCD plug which was plugged into their 13amp socket.

Thanks - tried without RCD and it worked fine. Will feed back to cable supplier for their thoughts on RCD and also will look into double isolated tools for protection....

Bought a discharge cable and was trying it out for the first time in anger on Monday after testing with a hair dryer. The reciprocating saw worked fine (@1400w) but the large 9" angle grinder tripped something and didn't work. Only 2000w so had to use mains for that. Pity! Probably best for lighter use or multiple small loads. The startup load is probably the issue - Makita GA9020S/2. Had hoped the 3000w discharge would be enough. Oh well, off to buy a genie for my house build...!
Yep an angle grinder will not behave like a resistive load, it is more of an inductive load. Look up 'power factor' if you want to nerd out ;)

You could probably connect up a 3000W kettle and it would work without issue.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back