DIY V2L cable "waterproof"? Or

In another thread I commented that because the 470 ohms resistor delivers more kilowatts than the stock 2000 ohm V2L cable doesn’t mean you should use it.

I expect that V2L use is recorded in the car’s software event log. A claim against the warranty for a blown inverter when the vehicle log shows the use of non-standard V2L cable may well be denied.

This is speculation not gospel, but manufacturers of modern electronic system do log heaps of datapoints to help with debug.

How do you wire this to the 3 pin sockets, which only have brown blue and yellow wires. The Type 2 seems to have more than 3 colours of wires as per photo. Thanks
V2Lwiring.jpg

Note that the resistor shown was determined by an electronics expert using trial and error - it has since been released by MG that the resistor should be 2K Ohms, limiting discharge to 2.2kW

How do you wire this to the 3 pin sockets, which only have brown blue and yellow wires. The Type 2 seems to have more than 3 colours of wires as per photo. Thanks
I would say get an MG one to use it safely. What are you going to use it for?

Maybe the electric motor in the washing machine draws too much current the moment you switch it on? The stationary motor draws much higher inrush currents than motors that are already running.

Another explanation would be that the voltage and current of the motor are not in phase (due to the inductive nature of the motor). Therefore, it may be consuming more apparent power than real power.

My guess is inrush currents. Some washing machines have a smoother start-up of the motor that does not consume as much power in the initial phase.
Ditto to @crunchy's comments. Washing machine motors are a very reactive load, especially during motor start. The inverter in the MG4 won't tolerate the poor power factor and surge current involved.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back