DIY V2L cable

Jester27

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Made up my V2L cable tonight based on info from elsewhere in the group.

Bought a 5m 16A type 2 Cable with a wired end from AliExpress.

£47.29 55%OFF | feyree 32A 8KW EV Charger Plug Type2 Cable 16A 1Phase Car Charging Station 3Phase 11KW 22KW IEC62196-2 Cord for Electric Vehicle
Screenshot_20221108_213834_AliExpress.jpg

some 470 ohm 1w resistors
10 x 470 Ohm 1W Metal Film Resistor 1% Tolerance (Pack of 10) Amazon.co.uk
Screenshot_20221108_215018_Amazon Shopping.jpg

And a double waterproof plug socket

Double Outdoor Socket Waterproof Outside Plug Socket Weatherproof IP66 Wall Electrical Outlet, 13Amp 2Gang Storm Switched Power Socket Box. Amazon.co.uk
Screenshot_20221108_211711_Amazon Shopping.jpg

You need to change the internal resistor inside the type 2 plug from 680 ohm to 470 ohm.
Which is just a case of opening it up and cutting the resistor out of the thin blue wire.
20221108_165331.jpg

Then replace it with the 470 ohm version, making sure to heat shrink the soldered connections and the resistor itself like the one you remove.
20221108_165311.jpg

Then put it back together and move to the socket end.
Putting the cable through the waterproof connector seal in the housing and trimming the end of each wire (earth, live and neutral, which are all tagged for you on each wire, I also soldered the ends up for better connection) ready for fitting to their relevent fittings on the back of the socket
20221108_173235.jpg

There is also a thin grey wire that needs to be cut and shielded as it won't be used (see looped wire in pic above)
Once all connected just fasten the plug socket to the housing and screw in each corner then fitting the screw covers.
20221108_211322.jpg

That should be it....
The test will be tomorrow when I bring my car home and give it a whirl.

I'm sure it will be fine I've checked, double checked and triple checked all the connectors.
Will post back tomorrow with an update on whether it works, though it should be fine, the resistor carrys very little, it's just there to tell the car that it's a discharge cable, MG use a lower ohm resistor than normal, hence the switch from 680 to 470 ohm. (Probably so they can sell their own cables as others won't work)
All in its cost me around £70, which is much cheaper than the competition.

Last edited:
Well done. Let us know if this worked. You have made it look very simple.
I watched a video posted on here where a guy shows how he did his.
It wasn't totally obvious at first but after a few watches it became clear.
Also have a wiring diagram from here too, but that didn't match how the cable came wired up with the resistor on this one.
It was between PP and PE
20221108_224234.jpg

The connector it used in the diagram was PP to CP i.e the one that you cap off and as it's not used it kind of didn't make sense either.
Hopefully it will be fine as I've not changed the actual power wiring, so that should work anyway so long as the resistor tells the car the right info so it seems a discharge cable.

I also checked the sockets on the plug with a multimeter and it showed 470 ohm across PP and PE which showed 680 ohm with original resistor.
So fingers crossed it'll be all good.

Last edited:
Well done Jester27 and I hope it is fine for you several others have done this on YT as I’m sure you have watched but as you my know I got my V2L from the dealer yeh not cheap £270 I think it was so a £200 saving for you, but as it’s not my car if something where to give any kind of issue a DIY made adaptor could not be to blame.

But the chap on YouTube he run around 3.2 kw on V2L with he’s ZS which is rated at 2.5kw I think and it’s the same on the MG4, and all seems fine although it was only for a very short time, anyhow yesterday I plugged the cable into the MG4 SE SR just to check everything worked and it was fine funny thing was the discharge screen was showing Discharging 1.6kw yet I was using a 2.2kw fan heater on it, so I thought made be this heater is not 2.2 so turn off every thing I could around the house switch the heater back on again on the house 13A plug checked on my Zappi it showed the house pulling 2.2kw so nothing wrong with the heater pluged it back into the car and the screen still said Discharging 1.6kw.
Les

It is quite possible that the output from the car is 220 Volts, which would give a lower power output on a simple fan heater. Have you got a plug in power meter you could test it with, handy devices and pretty cheap to buy

Well done Jester27 and I hope it is fine for you several others have done this on YT as I’m sure you have watched but as you my know I got my V2L from the dealer yeh not cheap £270 I think it was so a £200 saving for you, but as it’s not my car if something where to give any kind of issue a DIY made adaptor could not be to blame.

But the chap on YouTube he run around 3.2 kw on V2L with he’s ZS which is rated at 2.5kw I think and it’s the same on the MG4, and all seems fine although it was only for a very short time, anyhow yesterday I plugged the cable into the MG4 SE SR just to check everything worked and it was fine funny thing was the discharge screen was showing Discharging 1.6kw yet I was using a 2.2kw fan heater on it, so I thought made be this heater is not 2.2 so turn off every thing I could around the house switch the heater back on again on the house 13A plug checked on my Zappi it showed the house pulling 2.2kw so nothing wrong with the heater pluged it back into the car and the screen still said Discharging 1.6kw.
Les
Cheers les
thats definitely a weird one
to be fair it’s only for all this talk of blackouts, thought for less than £100 I’d give it a go.
so we can power a table lamp and maybe the router and TV if we get any.
handy to have for trips out too for making a brew

Those lamps on the double-socket unit are using 300W? 😲
They weren't even switched on at that point so don't know where that comes from
probably the radio still on and interior lights drawing something.
while it's unlocked it also has the headlights on.
but thankfully once locked they go out and the power continues to flow.
just need to remember to start the discharge before getting out.

Interesting ... I wouldn't have associated power drain by the car as being a discharge, but rather consumption (i.e. the next tab on the screen). :)

I have no idea
Just guessing really.
I'll see if it shows anytjing in the app, once it's locked
No you can't see discharge on the app.
Shame...
But I switched both switches off on the socket and it still shows 0.3kw

So not sure why it says that when there's nothing plugged in or turned on.

Maybe try connecting a hair dryer or similar and see what drain is shown? (The rating of the hair dryer should be shown on it).

Do you have a multimeter (set to AC voltage) to test the actual voltage output from the converter?

Maybe try connecting a hair dryer or similar and see what drain is shown? (The rating of the hair dryer should be shown on it).

Do you have a multimeter (set to AC voltage) to test the actual voltage output from the converter?
I'll check it tomorrow if I get chance

Just wondered how easy it was to open the type2 connector? Looks like it just unscrewed at the end, is that correct?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back