DIY V2L cable

Sometimes they are the security version with a pip in the centre, so check first. Depending on the manufacturers they are often in deep narrow recesses so if using a separate bit type driver that the driver itself is not too large a diameter.

Sometimes they are the security version with a pip in the centre, so check first. Depending on the manufacturers they are often in deep narrow recesses so if using a separate bit type driver that the driver itself is not too large a diameter.
No pip on these ones thankfully as I don't think I have one to fit.

PP and PE
Most cables already have a 680 in place already between those 2 so its just a case of swapping it out.

View attachment 12586

I must admit that I've been away on holiday in the depth of wales for the past 10 days - I wished I had kept an eye on this forum, as I managed to do the same, whilst away - albeit a bit more challening in that in the post I used was to connect CP & PP (I left the PP & PE 680 resistor in place) - interestingly the MG4 gave an orange indication (around the charge plug) - anyway another review from Julian Ilett (fellow subscriber?) )via youtube demonstrated that you simply need to resolder in a 470 inplace of the 680 resistor in the charge cable head.

The long term plan is to connect up the MG4 to my ESS (VE Multiplus II GX) (i.e. V2H)- but baby steps needed on this, at this stage.

I must admit that I've been away on holiday in the depth of wales for the past 10 days - I wished I had kept an eye on this forum, as I managed to do the same, whilst away - albeit a bit more challening in that in the post I used was to connect CP & PP (I left the PP & PE 680 resistor in place) - interestingly the MG4 gave an orange indication (around the charge plug) - anyway another review from Julian Ilett (fellow subscriber?) )via youtube demonstrated that you simply need to resolder in a 470 inplace of the 680 resistor in the charge cable head.

The long term plan is to connect up the MG4 to my ESS (VE Multiplus II GX) (i.e. V2H)- but baby steps needed on this, at this stage.
Love to know more about the intention. If you were to do this, potentially run your house via the Multiplus?

Love to know more about the intention. If you were to do this, potentially run your house via the Multiplus?
.... will do! - I'll provide detailed feedback around christmas time (very busy with work), but what i will say is that moving to an EV / off-peak / on-peak tariff & a simple ESS set-up is saving a combined total of around £200-£400 / month (at least for the month of November in the UK) (I'm including the previous diesel fuel/ £200/month here), using a small amount of backup from the MG4 to the ESS (if I go over 7kWh/day) - I'll get better figures as time goes-by - as my supplier EDF only managed to get my smart meter working from 1st Nov 22... but the MG4 is costing 1p/mile at present to run & the house is running at 4.5p / kWh for electric. (heating is currently provided by kero 28)
1669167489800.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
.... will do! - I'll provide detailed feedback around christmas time (very busy with work), but what i will say is that moving to an EV / off-peak / on-peak tarrif & a simple ESS set-up is saving a combined total of around £200-£400 / month (at least for the month of November in the UK) (I'm including the previous diesel fuel/ £200/month here), using a small amount of backup from the MG4 to the ESS (if I go over 7kw/day) - I'll get better figures as time goes-by - as my supplier EDF only managed to get my smart meter working from 1st Nov 22... but the MG4 is costing 1p/mile at present to run & the house is running at 4.5p / Kwhr for electric. (heating is currently provided by kero 28)
View attachment 12958
Would be very interested to talk and get details of what you are planning. I have been thinking along similar lines i.e. possibly using my MG4 (still awaiting delivery) for houshold mains/load balancing using the Octopus Tariff. I was considering a solar installation but non of the companies that I can get to quote will quote me for a fully-fledged backup system. They all want to disconnect fully from the mains and will not switch over to backup automatically.

I am trying to find a UPS type solution even if I have to design it myself (I understand the need to prevent power from feeding back out to the grid under fault conditions). It might be that I have to put solar on hold until I can sort out auto switch over and I notice on the victron website that the VE Multiplus II GX you mention can do this. I have some experience in designing and building house automation systems based around node-red so perhaps we can share best practice. It would be great if you could share what you are doing.

Would be very interested to talk and get details of what you are planning. I have been thinking along similar lines i.e. possibly using my MG4 (still awaiting delivery) for houshold mains/load balancing using the Octopus Tariff. I was considering a solar installation but non of the companies that I can get to quote will quote me for a fully-fledged backup system. They all want to disconnect fully from the mains and will not switch over to backup automatically.

I am trying to find a UPS type solution even if I have to design it myself (I understand the need to prevent power from feeding back out to the grid under fault conditions). It might be that I have to put solar on hold until I can sort out auto switch over and I notice on the victron website that the VE Multiplus II GX you mention can do this. I have some experience in designing and building house automation systems based around node-red so perhaps we can share best practice. It would be great if you could share what you are doing.
The reason they won't quote for a full backup is because of the requirements of G99 requiring full isolation unless you have your own grid level earthing system and DNO compliant protection scheme which is usually in the £10000s of pounds and requires the DNO to have equipment to force your system to disconnect if your equipment causes damage / problems on their network.

You may also find your house insurance won't be valid if it doesn't meet those criteria above as you'll be liable for any non-type tested equipment back feeding into the grid, if they fail.

The reason they won't quote for a full backup is because of the requirements of G99 requiring full isolation unless you have your own grid level earthing system and DNO compliant protection scheme which is usually in the £10000s of pounds and requires the DNO to have equipment to force your system to disconnect if your equipment causes damage / problems on their network.

You may also find your house insurance won't be valid if it doesn't meet those criteria above as you'll be liable for any non-type tested equipment back feeding into the grid, if they fail.
Appreciate your reply, Interesting stuff, and does explain why I can't get a quote. In my last house and in my present one I have a professionally fitted manual switchover that disconnects the grid in the event of a grid failure and allows me to run my house directly from my backup generator (or I was assuming in the future my MG4 and or Solar battery).

I am aware of automatic switches which react on grid failure but I have never used one and have no experience of using them but assumed it should be possible to do. However, from what you are saying this is not easy without jumping through considerable hoops.

I was hoping that the victron MulltiPlus might do that job for me allowing me to use Solar, Batteries and my EV Battery with the grid in one unified system but It seems I could be talking rubbish. Happy to get advice from others with more detailed knowledge. It might be worth starting a new thread to explore how to correctly use the VTL capabilities of the MG4.

Appreciate your reply, Interesting stuff, and does explain why I can't get a quote. In my last house and in my present one I have a professionally fitted manual switchover that disconnects the grid in the event of a grid failure and allows me to run my house directly from my backup generator (or I was assuming in the future my MG4 and or Solar battery).

I am aware of automatic switches which react on grid failure but I have never used one and have no experience of using them but assumed it should be possible to do. However, from what you are saying this is not easy without jumping through considerable hoops.

I was hoping that the victron MulltiPlus might do that job for me allowing me to use Solar, Batteries and my EV Battery with the grid in one unified system but It seems I could be talking rubbish. Happy to get advice from others with more detailed knowledge. It might be worth starting a new thread to explore how to correctly use the VTL capabilities of the MG4.

If the inverter / generator is type tested for off-grid operation it's not as arduous but not many domestic sized inverters are as it leaves them open to being liable should something to wrong so generally don't offer this option.

Backup generators have been around for along time and offer islanding as its a tried and tested technology, and how the change over works is well understood and protection systems are tried and tested where as again with island mode inverters this is not, even your giant solar farms have to disconnect at loss of mains, at voltages such as 11/33/66kV

Made up my V2L cable tonight based on info from elsewhere in the group.

Bought a 5m 16A type 2 Cable with a wired end from AliExpress.

£47.29 55%OFF | feyree 32A 8KW EV Charger Plug Type2 Cable 16A 1Phase Car Charging Station 3Phase 11KW 22KW IEC62196-2 Cord for Electric Vehicle
View attachment 12579

some 470 ohm 1w resistors
10 x 470 Ohm 1W Metal Film Resistor 1% Tolerance (Pack of 10) Amazon.co.uk
View attachment 12580

And a double waterproof plug socket

Double Outdoor Socket Waterproof Outside Plug Socket Weatherproof IP66 Wall Electrical Outlet, 13Amp 2Gang Storm Switched Power Socket Box. Amazon.co.uk
View attachment 12581

You need to change the internal resistor inside the type 2 plug from 680 ohm to 470 ohm.
Which is just a case of opening it up and cutting the resistor out of the thin blue wire.
View attachment 12582
Then replace it with the 470 ohm version, making sure to heat shrink the soldered connections and the resistor itself like the one you remove.
View attachment 12585
Then put it back together and move to the socket end.
Putting the cable through the waterproof connector seal in the housing and trimming the end of each wire (earth, live and neutral, which are all tagged for you on each wire, I also soldered the ends up for better connection) ready for fitting to their relevent fittings on the back of the socket
View attachment 12583
There is also a thin grey wire that needs to be cut and shielded as it won't be used (see looped wire in pic above)
Once all connected just fasten the plug socket to the housing and screw in each corner then fitting the screw covers.
View attachment 12584
That should be it....
The test will be tomorrow when I bring my car home and give it a whirl.

I'm sure it will be fine I've checked, double checked and triple checked all the connectors.
Will post back tomorrow with an update on whether it works, though it should be fine, the resistor carrys very little, it's just there to tell the car that it's a discharge cable, MG use a lower ohm resistor than normal, hence the switch from 680 to 470 ohm. (Probably so they can sell their own cables as others won't work)
All in its cost me around £70, which is much cheaper than the competition.
You tuber, Toms man shed bought an adapter, just over £30, small and neat..

.... but its not your responsibility, its the DNO to sort out all these challenges, I moved into a very old house 2 years ago, and as part of the mortgage offer (which I didnt use in the end), was that i needed an EICR? report (£99?), turned out was that the earth was from the 50's, but the DNO came and sorted out everything (I think the neutral & earth was combined?) and replaced all the wires and poles, it took about 10 men (apols no women in sight), but only 2 were working at a time!! about 2 weeks to resolve, they even fitted me a isolator switch, and all new wiring. (I had a similar thing with BT open reach with my broadband - live in the middle of no-where but have 900mbps+ 24/7)

but its not your responsibility, its the DNO to sort out all these challenges

Sadly it is your problem if you have micro-generation. And the DNO makes the rules if you want to connect the micro-generation to their network.

.... but its not your responsibility, its the DNO to sort out all these challenges, I moved into a very old house 2 years ago, and as part of the mortgage offer (which I didnt use in the end), was that i needed an EICR? report (£99?), turned out was that the earth was from the 50's, but the DNO came and sorted out everything (I think the neutral & earth was combined?) and replaced all the wires and poles, it took about 10 men (apols no women in sight), but only 2 were working at a time!! about 2 weeks to resolve, they even fitted me a isolator switch, and all new wiring. (I had a similar thing with BT open reach with my broadband - live in the middle of no-where but have 900mbps+ 24/7)
Incorrect any equipment you have that can back feed into the DNOs network is your responsibility not the DNOs

So now the MG4's have both gone back I have no need for the V2L cable that I built at the begining of this thread.
Only powered up to test it, never used since.
Parts are roughly £70 plus time to make it work with the mg4 and the other MG's.

So if anyone is interested and doesn't have the skills to make one up themselves.
I'm offering this one up for sale if anyone is interested.
Just looking to get my money back for the parts, but you will receive a fully rewired for MGs and working V2L cable and I will also include tracked and insured delivery in the price which will be a tenner probably too.
Like I say never been used apart from powering up to test it then it went back in the box as I rejected both my MG4's
5 meter cable
waterproof sockets

Looking for £70
Send me a pm if interested

now sold
Cheers guys

1000001510.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%