Do I wait for my zs ev or mg5

Jones886

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all as you have probably all seen my ugly face cropping up on the shipping updates and constantly moaning about my mgzs ev order.....

I've been Shopping around tonight and have noticed that zen auto have some mg5 estate ev 4-6 week delivery available and been honist giving the shower of sh*t excuses we've all had from mg call centre emails I'm quite tempted to ditch and run for it

What's everyone's thoughts ?

Hi all as you have probably all seen my ugly face cropping up on the shipping updates and constantly moaning about my mgzs ev order.....

I've been Shopping around tonight and have noticed that zen auto have some mg5 estate ev 4-6 week delivery available and been honist giving the shower of sh*t excuses we've all had from mg call centre emails I'm quite tempted to ditch and run for it

I answered someone else's questions about the 2 cars in a different thread, but will say it again here, assuming you're talking about the non facelift MG5.

I bought the MG5, though I prefer the looks of the ZS. What clinched it for me was the bigger boot space in the 5, which I need.

A couple other factors decided me - the parcel shelf in the ZS looked really cheap and flimsy (the whole boot really) and I didn't fancy the lack of autodimming rear view mirror.

However, I would love the 360 camera, the app, the updated infotainment display and the LED headlights of the ZS.

I do love the 5 though, despite the dated looks. It's comfortable to drive, it costs me little to nothing and I love smoking boy racers at the lights.

I've had a petrol courtesy car for the past week while the gods awful dealer fixes my vibrating tail gate and have just had to put £10 petrol in it today to give me an estimated range of 80 miles. (Honda Jazz - lawnmower on wheels) though I imagine the real range to be 50-60 miles. Having to deal with petrol prices again has been a shock to the system, I tell you.

I answered someone else's questions about the 2 cars in a different thread, but will say it again here, assuming you're talking about the non facelift MG5.

I bought the MG5, though I prefer the looks of the ZS. What clinched it for me was the bigger boot space in the 5, which I need.

A couple other factors decided me - the parcel shelf in the ZS looked really cheap and flimsy (the whole boot really) and I didn't fancy the lack of autodimming rear view mirror.

However, I would love the 360 camera, the app, the updated infotainment display and the LED headlights of the ZS.

I do love the 5 though, despite the dated looks. It's comfortable to drive, it costs me little to nothing and I love smoking boy racers at the lights.

I've had a petrol courtesy car for the past week while the gods awful dealer fixes my vibrating tail gate and have just had to put £10 petrol in it today to give me an estimated range of 80 miles. (Honda Jazz - lawnmower on wheels) though I imagine the real range to be 50-60 miles. Having to deal with petrol prices again has been a shock to the system, I tell you.
Your smoking boy racers at lights , yep I’ve done that a few times this week end
Fun int it 😉 just make sure you have both hands on the wheel

I'd only do a deal for "in stock", no lead times. There are cars out there.

Thankyou for the info im slightly confused as zen auto is showing the facelift car in the picture with a 4-6 week lead time for the mg5 361 a month 11k a year on a 4 year deal ( i am assuming that it is the old model but heard on the podcast the new mg5 is now open for order)

My thinking is if i can get it in that time frame then im tempted to jump to take advantage of the free charging at work only thing i hate on the old model mg5 is the wheels and would prefer the new infotainment system along with the Pan roof thats the zs ev had but Beggers can't be choosers .

Last edited:
Thankyou for the info im slightly confused as zen auto is showing the facelift car in the picture with a 4-6 week lead time for the mg5 361 a month 11k a year on a 4 year deal ( i am assuming that it is the old model but heard on the podcast the new mg5 is now open for order)

My thinking is if i can get it in that time frame then im tempted to jump to take advantage of the free charging at work only thing i hate on the old model mg5 is the wheels and would prefer the new infotainment system along with the Pan roof thats the zs ev had but Beggers can't be choosers .
That's a better deal than mine. I pay £368 per month for 6k per year. I only put down around a £3k deposit including small equity in my 70 plate Kodiaq (I think).

If it's the facelift I would say go for it but if you've been on the list for a ZS for a while and likely to get the pan roof I would be tempted just to stick it out. Or ofc order with another dealer and see which comes first, if they will allow it.

You will always regret getting a lower spec car. Patients is a virtue 😂. I have been waiting since last November I m
Am getting my blue TCLR next week 🤞

Thanks both , yes I know just don't have much faith with me ever getting the zs tbh think I've only got about 6 months left if that before I'll loose the grant

Does seem a good deal on the mg5 will call them tmorrow and see what they say regarding it and query is it the incoming facelift or the old version and if the 4-6 week lead time is correct

Think my main issue is waiting for them to be told we can not accommodate your order I'm allready missing out on free charging at work as it is

Thanks both , yes I know just don't have much faith with me ever getting the zs tbh think I've only got about 6 months left if that before I'll loose the grant

Does seem a good deal on the mg5 will call them tmorrow and see what they say regarding it and query is it the incoming facelift or the old version and if the 4-6 week lead time is correct

Think my main issue is waiting for them to be told we can not accommodate your order I'm allready missing out on free charging at work as it is
"6 months left if that before I'll loose the grant"? remember grants are on the order you have if made before they cut it and if you switch you're waving goodbye to the grant and the glass sunroof.

Yes I know I'm fully aware I'll loose the grant if I go elsewhere and the sunroof but I feel the car will not turn up in the next 6 months anyway with the way things are going and everyone still waiting from December last year anyway so makes no odds been honist.

If mg said your build week so and so and expect it around then I'd feel slightly more happier just like everyone else would it's been in the dark that's the issue

Yes I know I'm fully aware I'll loose the grant if I go elsewhere and the sunroof but I feel the car will not turn up in the next 6 months anyway with the way things are going and everyone still waiting from December last year anyway so makes no odds been honist.

If mg said your build week so and so and expect it around then I'd feel slightly more happier just like everyone else would it's been in the dark that's the issue
Plus they’ve also extended the grant to 18 months as of today. Which reduces the likelihood you loose it.

I don't think that MG have cancelled any orders (that we know of 🤔), and you said yourself you can keep your current car for longer. In your case they've not even gotten close to 42 weeks plus you've only been waiting since April, so with the grant window being extended there is nothing really to lose by being patient unless a killer deal on something else is offered in the interim.

Even if I wanted the additional boot space, the only way I'd consider an MG5 is if it were the facelift version. The outgoing model looked dated from the get go and doesn't benefit from the upgraded infotainment.

Thanks all for the comments and it's great news that the grant is extended after giving it careful thought I'm going to wait and stop been inpatient 🤣 on the other hand getting the leased car serviced Thursday for 305 quid which I don't like but hey ho don't have a choice

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom