Does 12V battery charge whilst charging HV battery?

deej19

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I recently tried my first public charge at a PodPoint charger and that worked fine (especially as it was free!). However when I set off I noticed the 12V battery voltage was down to 12.2V. I had been listening to the radio with air-con turned off. I tested this at home the next day, charging whilst sat in the car and in ACC mode then ON mode. The voltage stayed around 13.8V in both modes, so I'm not sure if it was charging the 12v battery. I didn't try READY mode as there is a warning in the manual NOT to do this.
Does anyone know if the 12V battery is charged at any time other than when driving in READY mode?

Also does the heating/air con use the 12v or HV battery?

If the 12V battery can't be charged whilst Fast or Rapid charging then I need to keep an eye on the 12V voltage if listening to the radio etc whilst charging.

Thanks

I recently tried my first public charge at a PodPoint charger and that worked fine (especially as it was free!). However when I set off I noticed the 12V battery voltage was down to 12.2V. I had been listening to the radio with air-con turned off. I tested this at home the next day, charging whilst sat in the car and in ACC mode then ON mode. The voltage stayed around 13.8V in both modes, so I'm not sure if it was charging the 12v battery. I didn't try READY mode as there is a warning in the manual NOT to do this.
Does anyone know if the 12V battery is charged at any time other than when driving in READY mode?

Also does the heating/air con use the 12v or HV battery?

If the 12V battery can't be charged whilst Fast or Rapid charging then I need to keep an eye on the 12V voltage if listening to the radio etc whilst charging.

Thanks
Yes the 12 volt is charged whilst the HVB is charging...

I thought the 12v only gets charged on AC chargers. Rapids dont charge 12v battery so if listening to radio or using accessories for period it's best to have car charging in ready mode.

Thanks for your replies, do they apply to the MG5 also? as my manual says
1620909636903.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom