Does anyone actually use regen mode 1?

DangerousDoug

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
My biggest complaint with our MG4 so far is lack of regen. Even mode 3 is very weak compared with cars that have proper one-pedal driving (eg Tesla). I would love to see a software update that increased the spread of choices between the 3 modes, such that mode 3 was much stronger, and brought you to a complete stop (one-pedal driving).
So my question to the esteemed forum members is: does anyone actually use the weakest regen mode (1)? If not, MG should increase the relative strength of all modes, with 1 becoming like the current 2, 2 like the current 3, and 3 being one-pedal mode.

Last edited:
It's the first setting I use before I drive off. Three reasons.

1. I find it a smoother ride for passengers.
2. I like to lift and coast
3. I find it gives me more miles per kw

However, If in heavy traffic I'll use regen 3.

I don't yet have a 4, if I did and it worked as described, I suspect I would mostly use the adaptive regen mode and don't understand why that is not the default.

In my ZS I leave it in the default level 3 mode for town driving or 'stop / start' motoring, and switch to level 1 for high speed driving on free-flowing motorways and trunk routes. Can't see the point of intermediate modes.

Maybe the level 3 could be a tad stronger but I don't have a problem with it.

I suspect the default mode 3 is to give the same feel as if you are driving an ICE automatic so it doesn't feel alien to new EV drivers.

I don't yet have a 4, if I did and it worked as described, I suspect I would mostly use the adaptive regen mode and don't understand why that is not the default.

In my ZS I leave it in the default level 3 mode for town driving or 'stop / start' motoring, and switch to level 1 for high speed driving on free-flowing motorways and trunk routes. Can't see the point of intermediate modes.

Maybe the level 3 could be a tad stronger but I don't have a problem with it.
Haven't got mine yet but tbh I'll probably leave it on adaptive and just drive the thing. I can't be bothered faffing with things (I'm already an old man at 37 going on 87 lol)

I suspect the default mode 3 is to give the same feel as if you are driving an ICE automatic so it doesn't feel alien to new EV drivers.
I think you maybe right .
I've come from an ice car and leave regen on 3 all the time .
I like the feel of "control" it gives me .

Old school ICE automatics don't have regen so if anything level 1 is closest to them. Cynical me thinks that the default value is the one that gives best range in WLTP type tests.

Haven't got mine yet but tbh I'll probably leave it on adaptive and just drive the thing. I can't be bothered faffing with things (I'm already an old man at 37 going on 87 lol)
Sadly you still have to remember to set it on adaptive. Many people will simply leave it on whatever is default.

thanks a lot for all the interesting replies so far. Remembering back to my ICE days (I drove large capacity petrol and diesels, all auto) one of the "culture shocks" moving to EV was the strength of the regen. However it took about 20 mins to get used to it and after that both my wife and I drive on highest regen all the time. You're right in that the default (3) is there to give the best WLTP range. Once again we can look to Tesla for "best practice" in this area - they are the most efficient EVs on the road, and they don't have multiple regen modes - they're fixed in "strong, one-pedal" all the time.
I've heard others say they use weaker regen on motorways etc. but again I can't see the point, as with a bit of accelerator control you can easily keep the car in "coast" using min power and giving a very smooth ride. But you always have the ability under your foot, for decelleration when you need it (minimising brake wear). Otherwise you'd have to keep switching to the friction brakes to slow down if approaching queued traffic etc. which is the old ICE model of driving (see how the ACC does it - using regen to minimise friction brake use).
It seems to me that one-pedal driving is one of the very distinct advantages of EVs, and deliberately reducing regen is both wasteful on energy and throwing away the advantage. I'm willing to be educated, however, if I'm wrong on the efficiency and friction brake wear issues (although I'd have to be pursuaded that Tesla are wrong, too ;-))

thanks a lot for all the interesting replies so far. Remembering back to my ICE days (I drove large capacity petrol and diesels, all auto) one of the "culture shocks" moving to EV was the strength of the regen. However it took about 20 mins to get used to it and after that both my wife and I drive on highest regen all the time. You're right in that the default (3) is there to give the best WLTP range. Once again we can look to Tesla for "best practice" in this area - they are the most efficient EVs on the road, and they don't have multiple regen modes - they're fixed in "strong, one-pedal" all the time.
I've heard others say they use weaker regen on motorways etc. but again I can't see the point, as with a bit of accelerator control you can easily keep the car in "coast" using min power and giving a very smooth ride. But you always have the ability under your foot, for decelleration when you need it (minimising brake wear). Otherwise you'd have to keep switching to the friction brakes to slow down if approaching queued traffic etc. which is the old ICE model of driving (see how the ACC does it - using regen to minimise friction brake use).
It seems to me that one-pedal driving is one of the very distinct advantages of EVs, and deliberately reducing regen is both wasteful on energy and throwing away the advantage. I'm willing to be educated, however, if I'm wrong on the efficiency and friction brake wear issues (although I'd have to be pursuaded that Tesla are wrong, too ;-))
Yes you can reduce the regen achieved by keeping pressure on the accelerator, but light pressure on the brake pedal also activates regen, with friction brakes only being engaged with more pressure (or if battery full).

It is partly down to driving style and personal preference but I don't want regen to be engaged on a clear road if I shift position in my seat or sneeze while driving along the motorway if my foot pressure is lessened.

For maximum efficiency coasting is better than regen, so avoiding the brake and gentle use of the accelerator gives best range. In stop/start traffic braking is unavoidable so better to have maximum regen.

In the MG4 ACC uses regen but in the ZS it didn't, so even if slowly catching a vehicle the friction brakes would be applied.

Once again we can look to Tesla for "best practice" in this area - they are the most efficient EVs on the road, and they don't have multiple regen modes - they're fixed in "strong, one-pedal" all the time.

As you have said Tesla removed this from their new cars from 2021. I am reliable informed by Tesla owning mate they still have the ability to change it from Hold, Creep and Roll so can adjust one pedal a little bit.
He also states that regen is slightly different depending on what driving mode you select. He does sing the praises of one pedal driving

Tesla do produce very efficient cars and their battery and motor tech is excellent. They are not however considerably more efficient than the competition and with the M3 for example the body shape does have an impact. Most of the competitors use variable regen as do Tesla but in a different set up.

Good article, I e found the EV database is pretty accurate, it currently lists the UK's most efficient (real world) EVs as. (Not range)

1, Model 3 standard 2, Model 3 long

3, Hyundai ioniq 6 long range.

4, Hyundai kona 39kwh

5, Renault Mégane etech

then 6,7,8 (all the same efficiency) Fiat 500, Corsa and Peugeot 208

The first MG4 is 26th SE LR, SR is 31st

Old school ICE automatics don't have regen so if anything level 1 is closest to them. Cynical me thinks that the default value is the one that gives best range in WLTP type tests.

Sadly you still have to remember to set it on adaptive. Many people will simply leave it on whatever is default.
I wouldn't think that the strongest setting is the best for range. Rolling along without any throttle on is most efficient way of driving, any braking effect removes energy from the car. Yes a small amount of electricity goes back to the battery but also some of this energy goes to waste as heat

I wouldn't think that the strongest setting is the best for range.
Depends upon the test. If a simple long distance at constant speed test then you are right, coasting is best. If the test is designed to be more like real world driving and involves constant braking and acceleration then higher regen and little friction braking is better than low regen and more friction braking.

If your journey involves a bit of town driving, and a bit of high speed cruising it is generally best to switch mode to match.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that the strongest setting is the best for range. Rolling along without any throttle on is most efficient way of driving, any braking effect removes energy from the car. Yes a small amount of electricity goes back to the battery but also some of this energy goes to waste as heat
There has been and will continue to be much debate about the ‘best‘ regen setting.
Your point about rolling along without throttle (I assume that you mean little or no regen sometimes called ‘coasting’) being the most efficient way of driving is interesting. I would sort of agree were it not for the fact we have speed limits and gradients and you can’t just let your car roll along in all conditions if you want to stick to them.
Modern EV’s are reasonably efficient in converting the kinetic energy in the car into electrical energy under regen, conventional friction braking on the other hand just produces heat and wear. Not using the friction brakes at all, if you can. leads to greater efficiency.
The success of using low or nil regen very much depends on the conditions.
A middle of the road regen setting that covers most situations seems to suit EV’s best most of the time.

I'm not sure I agree with you here, Andy - Clearly rolling along without applying either regen or power is the most efficient form of travel, but this is of course what you do when you're driving with a light foot at a constant speed, whatever regen level you're set to. However when you need to slow down, immediately applying regen by lifting your foot gently, or more firmly depending on need, delivers regen without friction braking. As you say, you can switch your foot over to the brake pedal and it'll apply regen as it brakes, but if you have regen set to light, it'll throw more energy away in the brakes as there's less regen to slow you. Once you're used to EV driving technique, it's much more efficient to keep your foot in one place and gently apply power, regen or coast with just a light foot action. This is what Tesla have found, after 10 years of testing and experience.

It
I'm not sure I agree with you here, Andy - Clearly rolling along without applying either regen or power is the most efficient form of travel, but this is of course what you do when you're driving with a light foot at a constant speed, whatever regen level you're set to. However when you need to slow down, immediately applying regen by lifting your foot gently, or more firmly depending on need, delivers regen without friction braking. As you say, you can switch your foot over to the brake pedal and it'll apply regen as it brakes, but if you have regen set to light, it'll throw more energy away in the brakes as there's less regen to slow you. Once you're used to EV driving technique, it's much more efficient to keep your foot in one place and gently apply power, regen or coast with just a light foot action. This is what Tesla have found, after 10 years of testing and experience.
Actually I agree with Andy 100%. I have been driving ev for over 5 years and absolutely find it more efficient to use 1 or 2 for normal driving. I only switch to regen 3 when coming up to traffic lights, stopped traffic etc.

It

Actually I agree with Andy 100%. I have been driving ev for over 5 years and absolutely find it more efficient to use 1 or 2 for normal driving. I only switch to regen 3 when coming up to traffic lights, stopped traffic etc.
So you switch between driving modes repeatedly while driving?? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary hard work. Surely it's easier to do that with your foot!

You can achieve great results by just modifying your driving style and how you use your right foot on the accelerator.

So you switch between driving modes repeatedly while driving?? Sounds like a lot of unnecessary hard work. Surely it's easier to do that with your foot!
It's not changing driving modes it's just adjusting regen, no more difficult than turning on your wipers

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back