Does anyone believe this? (Internal/external temperature readings)

Rolfe

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
This morning. Checked car to make sure he was awake and ready to accept a pre-heat command later.

Internal temperature 9°C
External temperature -7°C

Last driven on Friday afternoon (that's the day before yesterday), and even then not far enough to warm the cabin. Given the frost on my windows I'll take the -7°C part. 9°C inside? Somebody is having a laugh.

Funny enough @Rolfe, I noticed a similar disparity yesterday when I went to preheat on the app.
It was a good 6 degrees between inside and outside. (+3 out, + 9 in)
Never thought much of it to be honest.

Just checked again now, and it much more as I would expect.

Screenshot_20231112_085625_MG iSMART.jpg

Just checked mine. 17°C inside the car, 9°C outside. The car's been in the garage all night. Perhaps it's connected with the problem of AC temp being incorrect with the inside temperature sensor reading too high?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never found the internal temperature sensor to be accurate - perhaps this accounts for the need to put the AC temp much higher? External always reads about right.
I was wondering if having to set the temperature higher has anything to do with the significant drop in mi/kWh indicated with the heater on. I say "indicated" because I think the econometer could also be giving a false reading because it take may be taking into account the false interior temperature sensor reading.
If I had all the software bugs/problems on my PC or phone that this car has I'd be running a virus checker on it.

What I think is happening is...
It seems like the car does some averaging of values when it reads the sensor, which is fine when it is running. But when the car is off, and you read it via the app it seems to do a one-off read and averages that with the last value from when it was last powered on. Keep refreshing the app and the average reaches the real value after three or four times.

How true that "real" value is is another matter.

It's been like this forever. There's another thread where I kept refreshing the scan and got gradually decreasing readings until it settled after about 20 minutes, although it still wasn't quite low enough to be plausible. (And I got one of the 87°C readings at random in the middle.) I can't remember if I left it for a while to see if it went back up. It was all fairly random. Sometimes (but not often) the reading was below where it should have been.

I don't think it has anything to do with the five-degree discrepancy on the car's HVAC screen. That's a target, not a reading, and that's consistent, while this is all over the place.

I was just tickled by the extent of the discrepancy this time. By the way, the -7°C figure was confirmed by someone else in the church choir this morning. She has a garden thermometer that was reading -7.2°C at about the same time.

If it can provide an accurate reading of the external temperature, and it obviously can, why can't it do the same for the internal, I wonder?

I don't think it has anything to do with the five-degree discrepancy on the car's HVAC screen. That's a target, not a reading, and that's consistent, while this is all over the place.
But the car may be falsely comparing that target to it's own incorrect internal temperature sensor reading to calculate the energy required to get there.

Pass. All I know is, don't believe the app internal temperature report, and set the HVAC temperature to five degrees more than you actually wanted.

I wonder what the internal sensor defaults to if it's disconnected ?

Mind you my car now seems to be doing the boiling/freezing bit anyway. 25C = uncontrolled heating runaway, 24C = not a hint of heat, just blows freezing air until your nose drops off.

Mind you my car now seems to be doing the boiling/freezing bit anyway. 25C = uncontrolled heating runaway, 24C = not a hint of heat, just blows freezing air until your nose drops off.
Mine's has a bit more range, 24C cold air, 25 tepid, 26 warm, 27 hot.
It does take about 10 minutes to get hot though, but it's no where near as hot as my ZS was and SWMBO's MG5 is, even on "HI".
My old 2020 ZS used to be toasty hot in 3 minutes and SWMBO's MG5 the same, about 3 minutes.

Try adjusting settings in the AirCon dropdown menu. I seem to have solved this now (or certainly minimised the effect) by using these settings : - ECO, External air flow, manual fan speed 4, AC on (usually), Temp between 26c to 28c generally and all Auto settings OFF. It still warms up pretty quick on ECO.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back