does anyone have an idea what this is?

Mgzs ev

Established Member
Reaction score
from delivery this thing with battery clamp was under my double bottom next to the granny charger. does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_20210821_180933_013.jpg
    IMG_20210821_180933_013.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 268
from delivery this thing with battery clamp was under my double bottom next to the granny charger. does anyone know what it is?
Yes, it's a 12v battery disconnect used during the shipping of the cars. It allows the people moving the cars on and off transporters and the boats to only connect the 12v battery when needed to start the car and then during the sea voyage the 12 volt battery is disconnected so that it doesn't discharge which would mean the cars couldn't be driven off the boat when it arrived in UK. On arrival in UK when the car is headed over to MG Motors Ltd it should have been removed. The dealer at least should have removed it at the Pre Delivery Checks as a last resort if your car was stored for any extended time.

yes - i believe its used in tranmsit to isolate the battery during the journey

I'm surprised there isn't a low energy transit mode built into the software.
ICE cars have had this for years.

The pdi must have been thorough!
You got their first !.
Another example of “Kick ( the tyres) And Ship”.
Ask the dealer for a copy of the PDI check off sheet for your car.
Don’t hold your breath of course, because they won’t have it !.
They get paid for that as well.

Or to use after a rapid charge instead of your 10mm spanner 🙂
It doesn't look to be suitable to handle the ~90 A of potential charge current, and similar potential discharge current if you have a lot of accessories running.

Actually, is the lower part that sticks out at 45° metal? If so, it might actually work... I assume that the button is to reconnect the battery briefly while you drive the car off the boat. Though if there is a contactor in there, I don't see how it gets power for the coil. Very mysterious (to me at least). 🦧

I'd check the underside of your doors to make sure they removed the tape from the drains. Mine had only the front and rear removed, middle was still on

This old chestnut... The middle isn't packaging, it's meant to stay on, that's why it's so robust and not just tape! The hole is there for draining in the factory whilst the car is dipped in the anti corrosion coat bath, it's not meant to be a drain, they are different and at the front and rear of the door!

Although I can't see it really matters if you do remove them...

It doesn't look to be suitable to handle the ~90 A of potential charge current, and similar potential discharge current if you have a lot of accessories running.

Actually, is the lower part that sticks out at 45° metal? If so, it might actually work... I assume that the button is to reconnect the battery briefly while you drive the car off the boat. Though if there is a contactor in there, I don't see how it gets power for the coil. Very mysterious (to me at least). 🦧
Ah Humm this is the 12v battery supplying power to the electronics not the HV Drive Train battery.,. Since it is an EV there is only a few amps since there is no Starter Motor to crank.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom