Does anyone have the indoor granny cable and use it outdoors?

TWO Extension leads, "oh the horror", careful you`ll get excommunicated 🤞
I have used two extension leads for months now. Even then coming from a short multiple plug little extension lead.

Then goes out the window which can be locked but open and centimetre or so the lead goes out.

Then across a lawn with a bucket over it and another extension lead going another 10m across a public but of grass to the car.

I put a rubber Matt over the public footpath my lead goes across

I find that if I leave half my 6amp extension lead still wound in the drum it gets nice and warm and soon evaporates any rain off the plug.

I did have to replace the fuse with a nail though.
One of my friends did that with his series one Land-Rover. He rewired it and found he was a couple of fuses short so he used a cut down a six inch nail until he could get the proper items. If I remember correctly there were only four fuses anyway.

Always put a bucket over the extension lead if outside, there is no need to buy expensive outdoor leads just keep it dry simple

We use the granny charger almost exclusively - we're on Octopus Go at 9p/KWh from 00:30-04:30 each night which gives us 15% charge on our 2021 MG5 EV each night - good for around 250 miles a week. We have it connected to a digital timer plug.

I noticed it said indoor, but then also says IP67, so I decided to toe the line by putting it outdoors but with some protection - by means of a cheap decorative bird box from B&Q which keeps most of the rain off it and also obscures it from view a little. Even in torrential downpours, it's still only splattered with water on the sides, rather than getting submerged. The concern with this charger is that if you're using it on the ground it could end up in a puddle. If we take it with us somewhere, we tuck it under the front of the car to keep the rain off it, and raise it off the ground a bit just in case a puddle forms.

It's worked just great for us the last few months, especially as we're in a rented house so we can't install a proper charge point.

(Will edit with a photo when I can either find a torch, or in the morning when it's light).

I have used two extension leads for months now. Even then coming from a short multiple plug little extension lead.

Then goes out the window which can be locked but open and centimetre or so the lead goes out.

Then across a lawn with a bucket over it and another extension lead going another 10m across a public but of grass to the car.

I put a rubber Matt over the public footpath my lead goes across

Always put a bucket over the extension lead if outside, there is no need to buy expensive outdoor leads just keep it dry simple
Genuinely got to be one of the riskiest set ups I've ever heard about, daisy chaining is dangerous and irresponsible at best never mind going to a granny charger.
And to just disregard the need of outdoor extension cables is just daft.
I hope nobody trips over or mucks about with your "setup" in any of the public areas.

Each to there own if you are happy that it is all safe, can't be tampered with, won't get wet at all and won't cause any risk to your property then crack on. You better hope no one reports it.

I’ve never had any problems with granny charger but we always keep an eye on it and never leave it unattended

We always check to see if it’s getting hot

What would ever make me regret it as long as I check it regularly?

I’ve never had any problems with granny charger but we always keep an eye on it and never leave it unattended

We always check to see if it’s getting hot

What would ever make me regret it as long as I check it regularly?
Someone tripping over it or messing with it or your non outdoors extensions getting moisture into them

Maybe this is the place to ask this. I'm going to stay with friends in a couple of weeks, and while my intention is to use a charging station about 500 yards away from their house, I could envisage an eventuality where I at least wanted to top up to 100% and balance on the granny charger at the house. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to buy a heavy-duty extension cable I can take with me in cast this is needed - it seems likely that the sort of ordinary cable my friend might have wouldn't be ideal. Could someone recommend a good-quality extension cable for this purpose?

My extension cable is one that I "acquired" before I retired. :) As it was the type that would be used for powering multiple Dell Poweredge servers then it is heavy duty. But it's not waterproof - however I wrap it all up in a tied up plastic bag when I need to use it, and try to keep it elevated if possible or under a cover. So far so good. :)

I have no specific recommendations - a quick search found these links:

There is no point in going for a heavier duty cable than the house wiring. Something like this from Screwfix will do the job.

I've actually ordered one of the one's from siteguru's first link. The extra safety features and the plug being waterproof and specifically designed for a granny lead to be plugged in attracted me. No sense in skimping on electrical safety.

I've been thinking about options for charging if one gets into trouble, and the possibility of getting help from any 13A plug in your travels, while probably not something one would often (or hopefully ever) require, is something to think about. I don't normally carry my granny cable, it lives in the garage, but I do take it if I'm visiting somewhere where I might want to plug in. Having a decent length of extension cable as well extends the possibilities.

I've actually ordered one of the one's from siteguru's first link. The extra safety features and the plug being waterproof and specifically designed for a granny lead to be plugged in attracted me. No sense in skimping on electrical safety.

I've been thinking about options for charging if one gets into trouble, and the possibility of getting help from any 13A plug in your travels, while probably not something one would often (or hopefully ever) require, is something to think about. I don't normally carry my granny cable, it lives in the garage, but I do take it if I'm visiting somewhere where I might want to plug in. Having a decent length of extension cable as well extends the possibilities.
I`m sure you`ve said this earlier "its like carrying a ICE petrol can", oh and don`t forget the shopping bag for when it rains ;) belt&braces

I don't think I said it was like carrying a petrol can, but it's something that could be worth having if you know you're going a long way and stuff might happen. If you can turtle-crawl close enough to a 13A socket, it could save a world of pain.

Don't need a plastic bag, the cable I've ordered has a sealed socket on it to take the granny plug and then snaps closed to protect it from rain.

What I need to remember for when it rains is comprehensive waterproofs. Using a public chargepoint open to the elements in torrential rain is not an EV experience I'm really looking forward to.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back