Does anyone have the indoor granny cable and use it outdoors?

I have no specific recommendations - a quick search found these links:

I think I'm going to purchase one of the leads in the first link. But I don't know whether to purchase the Plug RCD or the In-line RCD. Which one is more secure. I've read the description and it seems to imply the In-line version is not suitable to be used out doors, which is where I'm going to be using it (outside my back window, through the ginnel at the side of my house and straight into the car). The In line is more expensive, so I would have thought that it would be one go go for. Any advice?

Thanks

I've gone for the in-line one, because it's only for very occasional use, not at home, and I want to be able to plug it in anywhere. I'm not likely to be out and about on very long journeys in horrible weather, and if it is wet I can always rig up a polythene bag or something.

My purchase is due to be delivered tomorrow, so I'll let you know. I might actually use it next week at my friend's house if he'll let me top up and balance before I leave to come home. I've realised I'll probably be able to get to 100% and balance on the destination charger at the theatre I'm going to, so I should still be over 90% by the time I get back to his house, and that's only maybe three hours on the granny.

Extension cable arrived. The inline RCD is very close to the mains plug, less than a foot of cable between, so if you're using it through a window, say, then you can keep the RCD inside as well and all will be well.

It seems very well put together. Robust and weatherproof. The socket for the granny cable is a substantial affair that closes over the plug and holds the cable in a waterproof grip. There is also the ability to add a small padlock to prevent the cable being unplugged by someone who has no right to unplug it.

Extension cable arrived. The inline RCD is very close to the mains plug, less than a foot of cable between, so if you're using it through a window, say, then you can keep the RCD inside as well and all will be well.

It seems very well put together. Robust and weatherproof. The socket for the granny cable is a substantial affair that closes over the plug and holds the cable in a waterproof grip. There is also the ability to add a small padlock to prevent the cable being unplugged by someone who has no right to unplug it.
Thanks for coming back to us. That is great news about the inline RCD being so close to the plug. That works for me and my set up.

How long was it from you ordering yours to it actually arriving? I'm due to do a 6 hour trip from Yorkshire to Inverness next Wednesday and I really could do with starting the day at 100%

It was very quick. I put the order through at lunch-time on Saturday and the lead arrived this afternoon by DHL. I suspect they just put the item out for next-day delivery when they got the order.

I'm driving from central Scotland to the south coast of England on Wednesday, so I wanted to be prepared in case I needed to ask my host to let me charge the car at his house. Which is looking increasingly likely, the way I'm being messed around by Blink Charging, the operators of the nearby charge-points.

It was very quick. I put the order through at lunch-time on Saturday and the lead arrived this afternoon by DHL. I suspect they just put the item out for next-day delivery when they got the order.

I'm driving from central Scotland to the south coast of England on Wednesday, so I wanted to be prepared in case I needed to ask my host to let me charge the car at his house. Which is looking increasingly likely, the way I'm being messed around by Blink Charging, the operators of the nearby charge-points.
Oh that's good news. Hopefully it should arrive by the weekend then.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pavement wire cover?

This thread should help. You need to make sure your council allows this. Some do, some don't. The best solutions actually require the council to create a small channel in the pavement to take the conduit.

The thread degenerated into a row about parking on the pavement, but if you ignore that there is some good advice.

This thread should help. You need to make sure your council allows this. Some do, some don't. The best solutions actually require the council to create a small channel in the pavement to take the conduit.

The thread degenerated into a row about parking on the pavement, but if you ignore that there is some good advice.
I work for my council and am struggling to get an answer from them. I would just by a cable cover and be confident of it being safe but my neighbour is a real jobsworth who will raise a stink over it but after having the car a week I really can't go much longer without charging from home.

A guy who lives not far from me in a terrace house had a granny cable running over the pavement with a rubber cable protector for quite some time. I was told he had quite a tussle with the council before they gave him permission, but they did relent in the end.

However, although there is still an EV parked outside that house, I haven't seen the cable for ages. I have a feeling the council probably revoked permission when they installed the village charge-point, which is within walking distance.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back