Does anyone offer something like a V2L socket inside the vehicle?

With respect John your level of knowledge and experience is way above the level of the "Average Joe" who generally does NOT have the ability, or skill sets available to hand, to carry out this level of build and install that you have achieved.
I agree, it was the inference that a qualified EV wallbox installer must be used.

Therefore they need to enlist the help of a suitability qualified EV installer / electrician.
A sparky or a competent person is fine.

It's important from a personal safety stand point, that this should not be diluted in it's real importance of personal individual safety here.
Purely from a legal mitigation point alone.
In reality it presents no more danger than the electric hedge trimmers that people use. The RCD protection still applies so safety is the same. It has a high(ish) current application so robust cabling and connections are needed and as mentioned, earthing of some units needs very careful consideration, way beyond simply adding an earthing rod which many certfied installers dont understand.

A few other manufacturers offer the provision for a three pin socket outlet inside the car.
Which is handy for charging a lap top etc.
I think the small Honda EV has this facility?.
MG have decided to discharge via the charging port, which makes sense as it can carry 2 kw’s +.
Some owners have even managed to exceed this discharge figure with a modification to the V2L adaptor.
Pulling north of 2 kw’s is via a three pin plug will create some heat at the plug of course.
Could one be added inside of the car, is what you are asking I think ?.
I guess it’s possible, but a small inverter powered from the 12 socket would do this…… maybe ??.
A small inverter on the DC socket which is max 10A is max 120W. 2 x USB on a DC plug will provide about the same

I agree, it was the inference that a qualified EV wallbox installer must be used.

A sparky or a competent person is fine.

In reality it presents no more danger than the electric hedge trimmers that people use. The RCD protection still applies so safety is the same. It has a high(ish) current application so robust cabling and connections are needed and as mentioned, earthing of some units needs very careful consideration, way beyond simply adding an earthing rod which many certfied installers dont understand.
V2L is a floating system, it has no earthing. This means RCD will not work as they need a neutral connected to PE. The problem is plugs with multiple sockets are used. The system is suitable for double isolated devises as is a hedge trimmer but it is not suitable to plug in multiple devices used by different persons the same time as a fault in one devise may effect an other user which will not be protected. As the car has no earth connection the fuse will not blow having a short circuit..
An MG 4 is able to deliver 32A using V2L which means the wiring and socket must be able to handle 32A. This means using a 32amp plug and a cable having 6mm wires if all that power is used. If V2L is used for home applications in island operation there should be earthing and an N-bound for RCD and RCBO to work properly.

V2L is a floating system, it has no earthing. This means RCD will not work as they need a neutral connected to PE.
If you look at the thread you will see it had drifted to Granny Chargers and using house sockets. Yes, V2L doesnt have an earthing system which is a cause for concern when people are talking of running their houses during power cuts and at peak energy cost times.

The problem is plugs with multiple sockets are used. The system is suitable for double isolated devises as is a hedge trimmer but it is not suitable to plug in multiple devices used by different persons the same time as a fault in one devise may effect an other user which will not be protected. As the car has no earth connection the fuse will not blow having a short circuit..
Agreed

An MG 4 is able to deliver 32A using V2L which means the wiring and socket must be able to handle 32A. This means using a 32amp plug and a cable having 6mm wires if all that power is used. If V2L is used for home applications in island operation there should be earthing and an N-bound for RCD and RCBO to work properly.
And correct isolation of the incoming supply before powering premises from the car. Alternative earthing also needs to be done because the vehicle supply is not referenced to ground anywhere and can float.

I know it's only day 2 of my ownership

It seems to me that a 13A (BS 1363) covered/ switched socket inside the vehicle might be nice to avoid having to have a V2L cable dangling out the front.

Does anyone provide such?
It's just awesome and is perfectly sufficient and functional on my ZS EV LR

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom