Does high regen turn the brake light on?

Simon853

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
High re-gen slows the car quite dramatically, more so that I'm used to with ICE cars and therefore more than drivers behind me might expect. So, I wonder, does it apply the brake light to warn the driver behind it's dropped the anchor?

Si

Yeah - I've wondered this. You can't see it happen if you are in the driver's seat. Was thinking I'd need to get a friend to drive behind to confirm (if I was that bothered)!

I followed my car a few times when my wife was driving. I noticed that the car was slowing down but the brake lights weren't on. It was in day time. I might try in the evening.

EU regs require the brake lights to come on above a certain deceleration rate. I can’t remember what the number is, but obviously in the MG4 whether it comes on will depend on regen level and battery level.

if you look on the drivers display at the bottom where its shows the power level.
Normally it is in white so the figures are 1 to 100% so power output, when in regen the figure goes green and - (minus) figures from -1 to -25% (I think)
The brake lights come on at around -6 or -7%

One winter evening when I was following a Leaf along a rather windy road I wondered why on earth he kept braking. Then I realised he wasn't, it was just his regen coming on.

I've seen my own brake lights come on, reflected in something behind me, when I've taken my foot off the accelerator.

if you look on the drivers display at the bottom where its shows the power level.
Normally it is in white so the figures are 1 to 100% so power output, when in regen the figure goes green and - (minus) figures from -1 to -25% (I think)
The brake lights come on at around -6 or -7%
How do you know the brake lights come on at -6 or -7% . That's the point of my question.

At regen level 1, the car shows -4% when lifting off the accelerator. As this is the closest to engine braking in an ICE, I assume no brake lights illuminated.Doesn’t answer your question as to what level the lights come on though. Sorry

Not sure if cars made for the UK market have to follow these regs but this might be the tech spec for when a brake light signal must be generated

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 12.12.19.png

Sourced from here

Agreed. And 1.3 m/s² equates to roughly -7% regen in the MG4. :)

Therefore regen level 1 probably won't cause the brake lights to activate, but levels 2, 3 and Adaptive will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 519 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel