Does Snow mode help?

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
We were out today for a Sunday xmas fayre to an old country house with a muddy field car park.

It was an interesting test of RWD traction in the mud. We had trouble reversing up a slope. usual one wheel spinning, the other doing nothing. When we got going forward, it was better, got some momentum and we got out better than a lot of FWD ICE cars were doing who were the ones making it muddy through their incessant spinning of wheels.

It occurred to me - but only afterwards - we could have tried Snow mode. Does anyone know if it helps in the real world?

Not sure if turning off Traction Control would also help?

Smug XPower owners with their LSD and 4WD are not invited to comment. 😉

I believe snow mode puts the regen into the weakest mode so there is minimal braking when allowing the car to slow by lifting off, not sure if it does anything else. Typically I've got to take it in on Friday when we're promised four inches so I'll get to find out first hand :rolleyes:

I believe snow mode puts the regen into the weakest mode so there is minimal braking when allowing the car to slow by lifting off, not sure if it does anything else. Typically I've got to take it in on Friday when we're promised four inches so I'll get to find out first hand :rolleyes:
It does but it also allows the wheels to spin, the reason it spins is to scrape away the snow beneath the tyre to allow it to get down to tarmac and gain traction if there is any below it. It also helps having a bit extra PSI in winter opens up the tread and tyres warm easier. Think all the above help in mud as well as normal snow.

The point is, if you have NO traction then the wheels spinning and digging down might give you traction. The alternative is that the slip control means that the wheels don't move at all. :)

In my experience spinning the wheels just compacts the snow to ice and polishes it to slippery slab. I think spinning the wheels is just about the worst thing to do on snow.

Normally traction control will not stop the wheels moving completely? I've never had that in a car.

Yeah it does sound counter-intuitive to have your tyres spinning, I thought the same when 1st learned it. In normal circumstances it is likely winter tyres will get you over it without the spin anyway and they certainly grip better on cold roads.

There is a free course that Octopus energy do which might be available again this year regarding driving in snow, I'd recommend for anyone.

An example of it not seeming as you would expect is look at rally cars that are racing on snow they have very narrow tyres and spin more to cut through snow easier.

Yes, rally cars use very narrow tyres on ice and snow, but they are also fitted with studs, so spinning those is very different from normal width summer rubber that most people have fitted.

We were out today for a Sunday xmas fayre to an old country house with a muddy field car park.

It was an interesting test of RWD traction in the mud. We had trouble reversing up a slope. usual one wheel spinning, the other doing nothing. When we got going forward, it was better, got some momentum and we got out better than a lot of FWD ICE cars were doing who were the ones making it muddy through their incessant spinning of wheels.

It occurred to me - but only afterwards - we could have tried Snow mode. Does anyone know if it helps in the real world?

Not sure if turning off Traction Control would also help?

Smug XPower owners with their LSD and 4WD are not invited to comment. 😉
Hi Tom if you look back there’s a thread called Snow mode MG4 started by myself 10 December 2022 and in #1 are my pictures and comments but I feel we have had this conversation before on this subject
Les

I've used snow mode over the last few days - in the snow and found it excellent. No wheel spinning, slipping or sliding at all. Far better than my old EV. I was led to believe that it was like starting a car in 2nd gear. I'm not sure how that would translate onto mud but I'd certainly try it if I was in a sticky situation like that as the greater traction would probably help.

I picked up my new Trophy LR yesterday and today used Snow Mode to get up a steep winding cobble road and it was quality. My ID3 that I've replaced wouldn't have had a chance at getting up the same section of road. Was impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience spinning the wheels just compacts the snow to ice and polishes it to slippery slab. I think spinning the wheels is just about the worst thing to do on snow.

Normally traction control will not stop the wheels moving completely? I've never had that in a car.
It did on the 2006 Gen 2 Prius and you couldn't turn it off. Basically you were stuck if you didn't get grip.

whats the car like going down a small embankment with snow? The car is fine on flats but need to take my mother shopping and wondering whether to risk it? Assuming snow mode and taking it easy down the bank?

whats the car like going down a small embankment with snow? The car is fine on flats but need to take my mother shopping and wondering whether to risk it? Assuming snow mode and taking it easy down the bank?
I don't know how good your mother is at walking on icy pavements but she might prefer to postpone the shopping anyway.

2" of snow here this morning and in snow mode the car performed faultlessly on the uncleared roads.
With the Summer tyres on, the back end will suddenly let go if you purposely push it by flooring the pedal or rag it round a corner, but driving normally I had no dramas.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back