Does Snow mode help?

I can't be sure but reckon snow mode got me unstuck on Friday in the real world. Mrs had been unable to park in our usual spot which is muddy but on this occasion was frozen and the rest of the approach was covered in somewhat polished ice from others passing. It is a mixture of sandstone cobble and hardcore on the approach which has to be up a moderate slope in reverse and the rear left wheels is on mud while the rear right isn't - it's parking Tetris in a rural lane don't ask! So I went to retrieve the car from the turning circle as we needed to connect to the charger overnight for a long trip. anyway I found out how useless the car is on the ice in eco mode which is what we always used in 8 months to date! Only when I was stuck diagonally across the lane facing trees down the slope which I could get no traction away from did I stop and think. First I got a shovel full of grit and put it behind each rear wheel and created a line backwards for about a couple of metres, then I got back in and remembered there is a snow mode! Engaged this and parked as if I was on pure warm tarmac. It felt like the wheels were alternately spinning and gripping - never giving up which was what was happening before. So my impression is it makes a great difference for that getting going and slow uphill in reverse. only about a third of my route was gritted so I don't think my gritting effort was the whole story, though I do reckon no-one should be allowed to drive in snow without a shovel, grit and the clothes and will to use them.

Is snow mode engaged in reverse? I went out today with snow mode set but parking was a problem in reverse. Driving forward was ok.
I'm gonna say it does work in reverse, I was in normal mode and trying to reverse up a slippy carpark without success put in snow mode and it moved up easily

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back