Does the new ZS EV software update allow for a time delay in charging?

Exdro

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Does anyone know if the new software allows for a time delay in charging e.g. plug in and set time to start charging at economy rate?

@Exdro,
This has been dealt with elsewhere in the forum. Please look up.
The answer is delayed charging was resolved with the BMS update and not the Comfort 2 Updrage.
The BMS update is free and has been available since January 2020.

@Exdro,
The answer is delayed charging was resolved with the BMS update and not the Comfort 2 Updrage.
I have had mine since March and no sign of charging time delay. How do I find out if it has been activated?

OK to answer your question comprehensively will be very long winded but I will try.
So please provide some information so I can you answer precisely.
1. How did you check whether delayed is working
2. what type of charging point do you have at home.

Last edited:
I'm having the Comfort 2 update next week.....I'm going to ask the dealer about the BMS update and get an answer to this once and for all because there are so many conflicting answers on here.

@ging353,
The answer to this is not conflicting.
It is simple and straightforward. Comfort 2 Updrage does nothing for delayed charging.
Delayed charging is effected by the BMS update.
@ging353, the issue a BEV Tech pointed out to me recently is that some BEV owners do not actually understand or know the issue the issue they complain about and trying to help them becomes impossible.
That is why I have asked @Exdro to give us information by answers to the two questions I posted earlier.

Unfortunately in addition to new owners not knowing much the level of BEV knowledge amongst some MG dealers is not the best.
Even some Master Technicians at MG Dealerships do not know about the BMS update.
I even had one MG Master Technician saying bluntly to my face that I should not be asking him for something that doesn't exist in any EV let alone the ZS EV and that he was going send me away just like the other ZS EV owners who had come requesting delayed charging.
I spent a whole 9am to 5pm in the dealerships that day phoning to MG and a more knowledgeable Dealership to get help for this Master Technician on that Day. Thank God he now is aware of the BMS update and delayed charging.
This is how bad the situation is.
In the best MG dealerships there usually will be two or three EV expert. One for sales+/ aftersales and the other a Master Technician. Unfortunately it seems the Covid situation and staff layoffs meant some MG dealerships were working without such EV experts in place.
If @Exdro answers, we will know better what his issue is and be able to give him better advice.

Once the BMS Update has been done......is the car capable of delayed charging or does it only work with certain home charging units?.......Mine is the Pod Point unit. It would be interesting to know whether it works for all units.

Once the BMS update is done. You will be able to do delayed / timed charging with all UK OLEV approved time programmable charging points.
You will even be able to do it using a simple wall socket timer with the granny 3 pin cable.
I know all pod points have smart charging (the unit reads electricity demand/price by itself and decides whether to charge or wait) but I am not sure if all pod points are time programmable (ie Whether you can tell the unit when to charge and when to stop).
The better chargers have both these functions.

@Exdro,
Thanks for info. I can now do this via an app to my Charging unit. Car going in for Comfort 2 Update next Tuesday.

@ging353,
The answer to this is not conflicting.
It is simple and straightforward. Comfort 2 Updrage does nothing for delayed charging.
Delayed charging is effected by the BMS update.
@ging353, the issue a BEV Tech pointed out to me recently is that some BEV owners do not actually understand or know the issue the issue they complain about and trying to help them becomes impossible.
That is why I have asked @Exdro to give us information by answers to the two questions I posted earlier.

Unfortunately in addition to new owners not knowing much the level of BEV knowledge amongst some MG dealers is not the best.
Even some Master Technicians at MG Dealerships do not know about the BMS update.
I even had one MG Master Technician saying bluntly to my face that I should not be asking him for something that doesn't exist in any EV let alone the ZS EV and that he was going send me away just like the other ZS EV owners who had come requesting delayed charging.
I spent a whole 9am to 5pm in the dealerships that day phoning to MG and a more knowledgeable Dealership to get help for this Master Technician on that Day. Thank God he now is aware of the BMS update and delayed charging.
This is how bad the situation is.
In the best MG dealerships there usually will be two or three EV expert. One for sales+/ aftersales and the other a Master Technician. Unfortunately it seems the Covid situation and staff layoffs meant some MG dealerships were working without such EV experts in place.
If @Exdro answers, we will know better what his issue is and be able to give him better advice.
Sorry for delay in replying, have been off line for some time. Delayed charging issue my end was sorted via the charging point having a timer. Have noticed others asking if car can be charged whilst unlocked. Can’t see the need for that, since locking the car locks the cable in place. This would prevent anyone from just grabbing the cable and doing a runner. I am surprised that I have not heard of any cable thefts from any EVs.

I had the Comfort 2 update in June and I can't do delayed charging. I have the Pod Point home charger.
I think it depends which home charger you have. But the Pod Point does not have an App.

Can’t see the need for that, since locking the car locks the cable in place. This would prevent anyone from just grabbing the cable and doing a runner.
The car automatically locks the cable 1-2 seconds after inserting the cable.

@Exdro,
The January BMS update did not deal with the delayed charging issue. The mid 2020 BMS update (July/August2020) dealt with the delayed charging issue as far as I am aware.

@Electrifried
Thanks for you comments.
OK I am not sure now which update did what. Seems we have all had different experiences and information from our MG dealers. So far as I know the BMS update in question was in January.
In any case one should just ensure delayed charging has been done and works on their vehicle. That is all that matters.
Thanks

@Exdro,
There is a newer BMS update where you can charge the car without having to lock it. I got that done last week, it works perfectly.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom