Door dings from careless door opener people?

Another alternative to avoid door dents, is to buy one of those butt ugly Citroen Cactus .
You know, the one with the rubber floor mats glued to the door panels.
However designed that car, was determined to drive all PDR people out of business 🤣.

Why not do what the BMW brigade favour, park in the disabled bays or the mother & toddlers spots 🤷‍♂️
Having a disabled member (with blue badge) in our family and three grandchildren I will respectfully have to disagree with your suggestion 😁👍. They have a hard enough job trying to parking anyway these days. It does come in very useful when I'm driving them somewhere though !! ( I admit that)

Last summer, we were returning to our car parked at the local Tesco store.
Then we spotted a guy trying to park his loverly red Ferrari, in very tight space between a previously parked white van and another vehicle 🚗 !.
The space was close to the entrance and he was determined to make it fit.
The lower end of the car park was completely empty.
We could rule out any mobility issues here, because he managed to squeeze out of the car and then go into the shop.
Many years ago, I saved hard and bought myself a brand new BMW 3 series.
At three days old, my wife paid a visit to the very same car park and well away from anybody.
When she returned to the car, there was a huge crease in drivers front door.
She arrived home crying her eye’s out.
The door had to visit the body shop !.

I am an SRP.

'Super Reluctant Parker'

As far away from anyone else if at all possible.
I simply refuse to park between two cars.
Not happening.
If I do end up in a suspect space, my wife gets out and I 'guard' the car.
Happens with the weekly shop every week.
It's amazing how many people refuse to park next to a car with someone in it.

You can see them look, see you, then park elsewhere.

Perhaps I'm not friendly looking enough for them!!!🤣

(They would be right.)

Another tactic to avoid dints and dents from ignorant twonks.

Caveat.
Not 100% guaranteed.
Last year I was sat in MaccyDs car park, with my wife enjoying a Sausage and Egg Muffin meal.

We were in my Etron.
Big car.
Can't really miss it.
Except the old codger in a battered Toyota Avensis estate decides he's coming in next to me.

I am, as per the previous post as far away from the front door as is possible. (30meters)
My wifes shouts 'He's going to hit us"
He hits us.

A glancing blow which catches my front nearside corner.
Does he immediately stop on contact?
Nope.
He continues to execute the atrocious manoeuvre to its conclusion.

I however, damn near choke on my Sausage and egg.

But I'm out of the car like a flash to confront the other driver.
I can see he is mid to late 70s with a bright red drinkers nose (suspicions of what caused the awful parking already raised)

But he is shaking with fear/adrenalin and very, very, sorry, so I can dial right back and continue the rigmarole of photos, details, what did you drink for breakfast etc, in a civilised fashion.

I had already decided that If I could smell alcohol on him then I would have called The Rozzers.
Happened that he did not, so neither did I.
(Beautiful Grammar🤣)

The old codger had damage on all four corners of his car and every panel in between.

He refused to let the insurance deal with it, and I thought Oh yeah.......
I checked, and he was insured (Askmid) but I understood his reluctance looking at the state of his vehicle.

Long story short.
I had his business card.
He wanted to pay cash.
I sent him the quote to repair from the bodyshop.
£426
He paid.
I buffed it out myself.
Kerr-ching.

20230427_160957.jpg

Last edited:
Having a disabled member (with blue badge) in our family and three grandchildren I will respectfully have to disagree with your suggestion 😁👍. They have a hard enough job trying to parking anyway these days. It does come in very useful when I'm driving them somewhere though !! ( I admit that)
I must admit, it is a pet hate of mine, when I see unentitled drivers doing it. 😱

I'm quite obsessive about, parking, I'll park the furthest away as possible. Purely because of careless/idiot/just don't give of toss, driver's. Couple of examples of my parking. 🙄🙂

Tesco car park, early morning.
20240131_122733.jpg

Top floor multi-storey car park in town.
20240131_122808.jpg

My doors are fine, but I have picked up a scuff on my driver's side front wheel arch. Grrr. Although I can't swear I didn't do it myself. I wasn't conscious of touching anything, but you never know. Photos to follow.

Booked in to the body shop on the 13th for a proper fix. Yes we both agreed it could be buffed out and touched up, but I decided since the car is perfect in every other way to pay for it to be done right.

My doors are fine, but I have picked up a scuff on my driver's side front wheel arch. Grrr. Although I can't swear I didn't do it myself. I wasn't conscious of touching anything, but you never know. Photos to follow.

Booked in to the body shop on the 13th for a proper fix. Yes we both agreed it could be buffed out and touched up, but I decided since the car is perfect in every other way to pay for it to be done right.
Commiserations- join the club. I’ve got the paint, just need either some dry warming weather or attempt to empty a bit of of garage to work in.
IMG_1280.jpeg

Commiserations- join the club. I’ve got the paint, just need either some dry warming weather or attempt to empty a bit of of garage to work in. View attachment 23440
Before you use the paint, maybe consider a cut and polish first, as it maybe just the top coat of the lacquer that is scratched ?.
Unless you can see the black plastic bumper showing through of course.
If the scratch is really deep, here is a “top tip” on how to repair it successfully.
Check out this guys you tube page for advice on polishing etc.
He does this for a living and knows his stuff.
Oh …. The paint he is using has to be cellulose based and NOT water based products !.

Before you use the paint, maybe consider a cut and polish first, as it maybe just the top coat of the lacquer that is scratched ?.
Unless you can see the black plastic bumper showing through of course.
If the scratch is really deep, here is a “top tip” on how to repair it successfully.
Check out this guys you tube page for advice on polishing etc.
He does this for a living and knows his stuff.
Oh …. The paint he is using has to be cellulose based and NOT water based products !.
Aye this is a bit deeper than it appears in the picture. Cut & polish eased it a bit but left what you see. It’s almost the same as I had on my late wife’s Citroen C3 and I managed to get that looking good as new with the metallic grey paint.
For the MG I’ve got the base, undercoat and top coat paint from the same company so hopefully it all works With the tri coat red.
I will check out that utube film thanks.

I'm quite obsessive about, parking, I'll park the furthest away as possible. Purely because of careless/idiot/just don't give of toss, driver's. Couple of examples of my parking. 🙄🙂

Tesco car park, early morning.
View attachment 23438

Top floor multi-storey car park in town.
View attachment 23439
You've taken that too far. 🤣

Excellent video.
Somebody keyed SWMBO's MG5 and it's £300 per panel with Chips Away, I have the paint in the touch up kit so I might give this a go.
I know it said for light scratches but the worst bit isn't too deep even though it's broken through to the undercoat so it's worth a try.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 531 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back