Dose all the MGs4 use the same electric motor?

BingBong

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, i am curious to know if all the line use the same motor with different software (included the new Extended range which isn't available in my country)

Becuse the SE and LR has the same toureq number (and even the LR is slower a bit)

It's make me think if in the future third party tuners would be able to "give" even the LR the 235HP.

SE and LR use the same, ER gets a beefier one and xpower gets both of those. The SE goes on the front and the ER goes on the rear I believe so two kinds of motors. Three combinations.
Close but not quite right, the SE SR has a 125kW motor driving the back wheels, the SE LR and the Trophy have a 150kW motor driving the back wheels, the X Power has an additional motor to drive the front wheels in addition to the 150kW motor at the back. Not sure about the ER but assume it has the same 150kW motor at the back.

Close but not quite right, the SE SR has a 125kW motor driving the back wheels, the SE LR and the Trophy have a 150kW motor driving the back wheels, the X Power has an additional motor to drive the front wheels in addition to the 150kW motor at the back. Not sure about the ER but assume it has the same 150kW motor at the back.
Yes but the question is if it's the same hardware with different software

Even if it were just a matter of ‘tuning’, bear in mind motors like all other components are ‘binned’
Therefore if during testing they detect a motor can’t take the higher continuous power of a long range, it might still be ok as a standard range motor.

When I visited the Brembo brake factory three decades ago, they had Fiat and Ferrari test lines next to each other: parts that the Ferrari test line was rejecting were passed onto the fiat test line.

Ferrari parts would also be tested further and more frequently, Fiat parts were tested less frequently.

Do you believe that for extra 35hp it's different motor and not just software?

The only thing that disappointing me is that the LR have only 250nm. The competitors (from eu and china) give their 150KW motor a 320NM.

Even if it were just a matter of ‘tuning’, bear in mind motors like all other components are ‘binned’
Therefore if during testing they detect a motor can’t take the higher continuous power of a long range, it might still be ok as a standard range motor.

When I visited the Brembo brake factory three decades ago, they had Fiat and Ferrari test lines next to each other: parts that the Ferrari test line was rejecting were passed onto the fiat test line.

Ferrari parts would also be tested further and more frequently, Fiat parts were tested less frequently.
I am regular from ICE engine that manufacturers often use the same engines with different ECU software. this is why stage 1 software is popular.

The only thing that disappointing me is that the LR have only 250nm. The competitors (from eu and china) give their 150KW motor a 320NM.
But if they generate the same peak power and torque is constant throughout the rev range, it means their motor revs less high.
Which might be good for a heavier vehicle but could also lead to more stresses on the rest of the transmission.
It’s a balance I suppose.
Do you feel the motors in the MG4 range are under performing?

I think there’s room for more power/torque in the MG4 motors. But my question would be ‘how easy/difficult is to tune an electric motor by someone other than the manufacturer?’
If a piggy-back ECU were able to monitor parameters that could potentially damage the engine or the other mechanical and electric parts, I think it’s something worth looking into.
Although I currently make it a habit of driving in town using ‘eco’ mode and after a few minutes forget I don’t have full power and still manage to burn most drivers to the next gap in traffic 😅

Don’t get me wrong, if I could get my hands on an x-power I would in an instant.
I’m not a ‘petrol head’ as such but I love driving cars and after spending years on failed attempts to be a race driver, I enjoy a well sorted chassis with great handling.
And the MG4 is a great handling car by all means.

But if they generate the same peak power and torque is constant throughout the rev range, it means their motor revs less high.
Which might be good for a heavier vehicle but could also lead to more stresses on the rest of the transmission.
It’s a balance I suppose.
Do you feel the motors in the MG4 range are under performing?
I am still wating for my MG4 (probably the model without rear wipers) so i can't say.

But in theory it's mean that the motors is less "punchy" then 320nm/204hp setup like in the BYD dolphin that should do 7 sec flat (with wheel spin, and the same weight and less aerodynamic shape)

BTW, there is an software updates available that fix the LKA problem that people talk about or the laggy infotainment?

BTW, there is an software updates available that fix the LKA problem that people talk about or the laggy infotainment?
difficult to say.
There are firmware updates that the dealer can install to individual components.
the infotainment update doesn’t necessarily bring those updates with it.
And so far there hasn’t been much info on those firmware upgrades.

On my other car (Kia Stonic) I had a ‘service bulletin’ applied to the front camera. It didn’t explicitly say what it changed, except it was to di with the LKA/LFA module to improve the customer experience.
It didn’t seem to make any difference to me.
But then the LKA on the Kia is a lot less ‘eager’ to recognise lane markers and the LFA is less capable than the TJA on the MG4

I think the LKA on the MG4 is ok. The TJA too.
I wonder if they self-learn some parameters over time do the more you drive with them on the better they get. Your driving style will also adapt and trigger them less frequently.

But there are times when the TJA does pull to the left or right a bit too much.
I wish they had made it easier to override: it’s not so much that it tugs too hard, it’s not sensitive enough to the driver resisting the tug.

I think there’s room for more power/torque in the MG4 motors. But my question would be ‘how easy/difficult is to tune an electric motor by someone other than the manufacturer?’
If a piggy-back ECU were able to monitor parameters that could potentially damage the engine or the other mechanical and electric parts, I think it’s something worth looking into.
Although I currently make it a habit of driving in town using ‘eco’ mode and after a few minutes forget I don’t have full power and still manage to burn most drivers to the next gap in traffic 😅

Don’t get me wrong, if I could get my hands on an x-power I would in an instant.
I’m not a ‘petrol head’ as such but I love driving cars and after spending years on failed attempts to be a race driver, I enjoy a well sorted chassis with great handling.
And the MG4 is a great handling car by all means.
There isn't any serious ECU tuners to EVs so i can't say.

I could get the xpower, but i didn't. I think the 61kwh battery is too small for this kind of power, and the insurance is probably a lot more expensive for 435HP car. But yes, i think that 310nm will be perfect for the MG4. There is strong grip and well balanced weight, so i don't understand why they choose not to produce the max output at lower speed. Even the old ZS with 156hp, had 350nm.

difficult to say.
There are firmware updates that the dealer can install to individual components.
the infotainment update doesn’t necessarily bring those updates with it.
And so far there hasn’t been much info on those firmware upgrades.

On my other car (Kia Stonic) I had a ‘service bulletin’ applied to the front camera. It didn’t explicitly say what it changed, except it was to di with the LKA/LFA module to improve the customer experience.
It didn’t seem to make any difference to me.
But then the LKA on the Kia is a lot less ‘eager’ to recognise lane markers and the LFA is less capable than the TJA on the MG4
Its weird because i am sure that they can easily fix these problems. Its just a setting of sensitivity. Looks like the MG4 have a lot of potential.

There isn't any serious ECU tuners to EVs so i can't say.

I could get the xpower, but i didn't. I think the 61kwh battery is too small for this kind of power, and the insurance is probably a lot more expensive for 435HP car. But yes, i think that 310nm will be perfect for the MG4. There is strong grip and well balanced weight, so i don't understand why they choose not to produce the max output at lower speed. Even the old ZS with 156hp, had 350nm.
Most likely cause: budget considerations.

So many different numbers, even MG have different compared to some websites.

MG say a 120kW motor at front and 150kW at the rear for 320kW total and quoted 435 PS (429 BHP). This is due to the front motor producing 201 BHP and the rear 228 BHP.

Ah I stand corrected, thanks for the update. I thought it was simpler.

So many different numbers, even MG have different compared to some websites.

MG say a 120kW motor at front and 150kW at the rear for 320kW total and quoted 435 PS (429 BHP). This is due to the front motor producing 201 BHP and the rear 228 BHP.
1kW = roughly 1.3bhp, therefore:-

125kW = 162bhp (SE SR)
150kW = 201bhp (SE LR/Trophy)
180kW = 228bhp (ER)
150+180 = 201+228 = 429bhp (XPower)

from the user manual

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpeg
    IMG_0440.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 111
Is that right? The ER has a more powerful RWD motor than the LR, so surely that would also be the one used on the XPower too?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back