Dose all the MGs4 use the same electric motor?

BingBong

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, i am curious to know if all the line use the same motor with different software (included the new Extended range which isn't available in my country)

Becuse the SE and LR has the same toureq number (and even the LR is slower a bit)

It's make me think if in the future third party tuners would be able to "give" even the LR the 235HP.

from the user manual
Ah... so the rear motor in the XPower is derated a little from the ER, that's interesting, though not enough to make much different, same torque output.

Interesting that the motors can go much higher in RPM: makes me wonder what the unrestricted top speed would be?

Interesting that the motors can go much higher in RPM: makes me wonder what the unrestricted top speed would be?
If MG had any sense, the "EX4" special they took to Goodwood would've been unrestricted.
Electric-highlights-from-the-2023-goodwood-festival-of-speed-mg4-xpower-min.jpg

Ah... so the rear motor in the XPower is derated a little from the ER, that's interesting, though not enough to make much different, same torque output.

I could see motor rpm in my MG5 SR and it did run all the way up to over 15000rpm so I doubt there will be much room to derestrict. I guess rated rpm is where max output is measured and then it’s all downhill from there even though it is whizzing round at impossible speeds, 250 times a second😬

I could see motor rpm in my MG5 SR and it did run all the way up to over 15000rpm so I doubt there will be much room to derestrict. I guess rated rpm is where max output is measured and then it’s all downhill from there even though it is whizzing round at impossible speeds, 250 times a second😬
I used to work with ultracentrifuges in the laboratory, they can get to well over 100,000 RPM. Not a problem if they're balanced and they have enough safety mechanisms to shutdown if something goes wrong before there is a catastrophic release of energy and bits... I assume EV motors have similar safety mechanisms.

I used to work with ultracentrifuges in the laboratory, they can get to well over 100,000 RPM. Not a problem if they're balanced and they have enough safety mechanisms to shutdown if something goes wrong before there is a catastrophic release of energy and bits... I assume EV motors have similar safety mechanisms.
The average turbocharger also does around 100k rpm.

I saw on YouTube that after 100 kph (60 mph) the max power on the MG5 is going down from 100%. In the MG4, it's seems to stay at 100% even on higher speeds. That's make me wonder if the MG4 pwr % level isn't accurate.

The weak point for torque is more likely to be the gearbox.

Indeed, especially as most are likely running around with 600 to 700ml of dirty oil. Even the low powered early leafs and classic ionics had over a litre of lube by design, not sure that these will be long lived assemblies even with the standard torque output :oops:

Indeed, especially as most are likely running around with 600 to 700ml of dirty oil. Even the low powered early leafs and classic ionics had over a litre of lube by design, not sure that these will be long lived assemblies even with the standard torque output :oops:
800ml of oil is in the gearbox :)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel