Drastic change for me

Dan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So after lots of debate my MG4 is gone, a combination of several trips to the garage ( oil leak, software, software, rear taillight, glove box lid ) and the development of the dashboard starting to bubble in spots has finished off the car for me.

I’m also concerned that as rivals get cheaper ( 1 year old megane e and Cupra can be had for £25k now ) that the MG’s value will follow suit.

My drastic change is I’ve gone for a VW E-UP ! It means several grand in my back pocket plus It’s as analogue as it gets and all the better for it ( VW ID3 still suffering software issues it seams )

Goodbye for now, I do hope MG sort out their software quality and build issues as they do handle amazing. I think ultimately I’ll end up with a Tesla but maybe the model 2 when that’s released.

So after lots of debate my MG4 is gone, a combination of several trips to the garage ( oil leak, software, software, rear taillight, glove box lid ) and the development of the dashboard starting to bubble in spots has finished off the car for me.

I’m also concerned that as rivals get cheaper ( 1 year old megane e and Cupra can be had for £25k now ) that the MG’s value will follow suit.

My drastic change is I’ve gone for a VW E-UP ! It means several grand in my back pocket plus It’s as analogue as it gets and all the better for it ( VW ID3 still suffering software issues it seams )

Goodbye for now, I do hope MG sort out their software quality and build issues as they do handle amazing. I think ultimately I’ll end up with a Tesla but maybe the model 2 when that’s released.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Too many people have had similar. Glad you have an interim solution and yes, all cars will get better over the next few years.

There will be a lot of competition for the M2.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Too many people have had similar. Glad you have an interim solution and yes, all cars will get better over the next few years.

There will be a lot of competition for the M2.
Thanks, I suppose what I’ve learnt is ideally never buy a car that is brand new model as you will be the Beta tester ( doesn’t seem to matter what brand - again all the issue vw had with the IDs )

Yeah agreed that the Tesla M2 will have competition, but Tesla are light years ahead with their software and no-one seems close to mastering OTA updates and bug fixes like they have.

Thanks, I suppose what I’ve learnt is ideally never buy a car that is brand new model as you will be the Beta tester ( doesn’t seem to matter what brand - again all the issue vw had with the IDs )
Yes, you can always be unlucky and it is a tradeoff between waiting for the technology to be perfected vs never adopting it.

Yeah agreed that the Tesla M2 will have competition, but Tesla are light years ahead with their software and no-one seems close to mastering OTA updates and bug fixes like they have.
Indeed they are, but that's not the only factor at play.

Tesla offer almost no choice of cars - in this price range just one, the M3, arguably none as it is more expensive. The M2 will change that but (if they continue their practice) it will be a single bodystyle (hatch) that they want to produce by the tens of million.

Tesla also do everything their way - you have to accept their idiosyncratic choices from lack of stalks, buttons and CarPlay/AA to lack of a central driver screen.

That's all fine when there's no competition. In a different world I would own a M3 today because there was no alternative. But now there are lots of alternatives that are not only cheaper but also offer a lot more choice of car type, body style, trim level, etc...

Our MG4 wasn't only cheaper than a M3, it was much closer to our ideal size/design of car.

So, I do wonder if Tesla will continue to prosper with their current strategy or whether they'll find out that people really really want a wide range of choice and when they have it, they'll use it.

Don't get me wrong, Tesla are technically brilliant and without equal. But technical brilliance rarely wins out in the long run.

It may be that Tesla are ten steps ahead of me and the M2 will be a flexible adaptable platform with a dozen variants. We'll see.

However, if they don't and MG get on top of their software woes, the future could be very different.

Wouldn't touch a Tesla... I hear too much bad from the guys that work on them daily. I'd rather something half the price with only a few issues. Sounds like you had a bad car and I think the cars we are getting in Oz are better in the fact some of the early issues are more "ironed out" and the spec we get seems to have more... rear wiper etc.

I admire what Tesla are doing, I've seen the grin on people's faces driving them (would you believe including that EV-hating McMaster guy), and the software is obviously insanely clever, but frankly I think the cars are horrible. And too expensive.

I took one look at the MG4 and went "wow, I can have that within my price range?" Teslas are the most boring-looking cars on the planet. I've just noticed that my next door neighbour has traded his Tesla in for something else, an Ioniq I think.

There are a lot of them around, someone in the next street has one, and maybe there are enough people who like them to give Elon a market share that will keep him happy, but they're not going to take over the world like this.

Tesla is very much the main player in the business (company) car market ... and in that market (and in general) it's the supercharger network which is their worm on the hook. :)

A worm which people who almost always charge at home regard with absolute indifference.

There are hardly any Tesla superchargers around here, so if I did have to pick up a bit extra while out and about it's not going to be a supercharger anyway (I think the only ones anywhere close are Eurocentral and Abington). The place is crawling with other chargers. I go on long trips so rarely that I seriously don't care.

A worm which people who almost always charge at home regard with absolute indifference.

There are hardly any Tesla superchargers around here, so if I did have to pick up a bit extra while out and about it's not going to be a supercharger anyway (I think the only ones anywhere close are Eurocentral and Abington). The place is crawling with other chargers. I go on long trips so rarely that I seriously don't care.
On that note - it isn't the superchargers around me that are relevant, it is the ones 2+ hrs drive away where I'd need to use them that matter.

Yes, that's what I meant by long trips. If I pitch up at a motorway service station I'm happy if I can get on a Gridserve. This happens on maybe three trips in a year.

I was thinking of the more mundane situation of driving back from a round trip and needing a bit extra just to get home. If that happens to me it's 99% certain I'll pitch up at a ChargPlace Scotland charger, as these are dotted around the countryside, and that would be no different if I was driving a Tesla.

Hi Dan, if you can afford a trestle wh

HI Dan, If you can afford a Tesla, why would you ever consider a MG EV?

HI Dan, If you can afford a Tesla, why would you ever consider a MG EV?
I can only afford a 2019 early model which can have questionable build quality, so I’m gonna wait it out in my little VW E-up until the 2021 MIC versions come down to £20k.

It doesn’t help that I have a kitchen refurb going off otherwise I would have borrrowed some money and got into a 2021 model 3 now.

I read somewhere yesterday that VW have stopped production of the E-up now.

Isn't E-up a greeting in Yorkshire?

Where's me coat?
Funnily enough I now live in tut Yorkshire so suits me well 😆

I read somewhere yesterday that VW have stopped production of the E-up now.
Aye they have I believe, that doesn’t bother me too much. There are 10000’s of the standard petrol ups so getting hold of general spares shouldn’t be an issue and reselling it in a few years should prove fine.

I’ve gone for an approved used one so if the electrics go wrong it’s VW’s issue not mine for 2 years. Might give a little write on here about it once I’ve ran it for a while. Peace out, Dan.

Tesla M2? In your dreams, I doubt we’ll ever see that for at least another 5 years!!
Still no signs of Cybertruck, roadster and Tesla tractor unit, they were 3 years ago.

Aye they have I believe, that doesn’t bother me too much. There are 10000’s of the standard petrol ups so getting hold of general spares shouldn’t be an issue and reselling it in a few years should prove fine.

I’ve gone for an approved used one so if the electrics go wrong it’s VW’s issue not mine for 2 years. Might give a little write on here about it once I’ve ran it for a while. Peace out, Dan.
Most manufacturers still stock spares for several years after production ceases, so it shouldn't be a problem anyway

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back