Driving with charge port open

ChunkyMonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hello,

As I've only had the car a couple of weeks and I'm used to my old Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh screaming at me if the charge port was left open, I was a bit surprised to be informed by another driver when I was passing them that my charge port (cover and mennekes/7kWh flap) were open to the elements. Thankfully I hadn't gone far but my question is obviously, is this what everyone else's does?

Hello,

As I've only had the car a couple of weeks and I'm used to my old Hyundai Ioniq 38kWh screaming at me if the charge port was left open, I was a bit surprised to be informed by another driver when I was passing them that my charge port (cover and mennekes/7kWh flap) were open to the elements. Thankfully I hadn't gone far but my question is obviously, is this what everyone else's does?
Yes. :)

Hello,

I've done it twice since I got my car four weeks ago. Another driver alerted me on both occasions. Since then I put a duster on the steering wheel when I plug in my charger and that reminds me to close the flap. Maybe on future MGs they'll fit a sensor to remind drivers.

I guess it’s a bit like putting the filler cap back on and closing the flap on an ICE. Had our ZS 5 days now and flap closure is up there as a must do, watched to many YouTube videos on the car and read about them snapping off.

Managed to avoid the driving around with flap open so far on my Zoe, Leaf and now ZS. However....... for some reason I keep on pushing the button on the door handle to open.... when I have already done via the fob to disconnect the cable, or just opened it with the fob, this of course locks the vehicle. I can be seen many mornings seeking solace from above as I have to push the button again and watch the mirrors slowly (it feels that way) closing and then opening. There are occasionally cries of anguish :cautious:

I guess it’s a bit like putting the filler cap back on and closing the flap on an ICE. Had our ZS 5 days now and flap closure is up there as a must do, watched to many YouTube videos on the car and read about them snapping off.
At least we can't do this. :)
1687769650464.png

Been there, done that a couple of times with the old ZS.
The MG4 has a warning on the dash, typically not needed as it can be seen through the passenger side mirror anyway.

I did it the first time attempting a Gridserve charge point. I was unsuccessful btw and then I couldn't get the unit out of the car charger socket and had to ring them up to ask how. I was then in a 'flap' and forget to shut the charger door. A lady walking by motioned to me it was open. That was in the service station car park.

Hello,

Have done it FAR too many times :rolleyes:

Hello,

I had exactly the same car previously (Ioniq 38kwh) and yes, in the MG it doesn't warn you. I have also driven with it open.

I’m paranoid about the flap breaking after reading several instances of it happening, and carefully close it every time!

Left the flap open on my Zoe a few times previously though - but that had a warning light.

Managed to leave the cover off, and then drove through a blizzard... I don't recommend it.

I've put a wee bit of reflective tape on the top edge of the hatch on my mk1, sticks up just high enough for me to see from the driving seat.

I've done it twice since I got my car four weeks ago. Another driver alerted me on both occasions. Since then I put a duster on the steering wheel when I plug in my charger and that reminds me to close the flap. Maybe on future MGs they'll fit a sensor to remind drivers.
There is a sensor and it tells you if you’ve left it open.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom