Dual CCS BP pulse 150kW charging problem?

zAndy1

Established Member
Reaction score
Barton upon Humber, England,United Kingdom
Just seen this on FB
'ALERT MG4 long range cars will NOT charge with new dual CCS BP pulse 150kW VW battery based high power charging stations.

If you own an MG4, please test your car on one of these stations to confirm yours has the fault.

Once confirmed, please report this to your nearest dealer and send an email of complaint to Redacted in MG customer service.

6 Trophy model cars have been confirmed to me as having the fault so far 22/7/23'

Is this a software thing that can be fixed or a more serious problem, anyone heard of this and have any more info?

Last edited by a moderator:
When you combine BP charging and MG then you've got 2 unhelpful and unreliable companies to deal with! Good luck with trying to resolve that one 😉😳

Never had much joy with any BP chargers on my SE SR.

Just seen this on FB
'ALERT MG4 long range cars will NOT charge with new dual CCS BP pulse 150kw VW battery based high power charging stations.

If you own an MG4, please test your car on one of these stations to confirm yours has the fault.

Once confirmed, please report this to your nearest dealer and send an email of complaint to Redacted in MG customer service.

6 Trophy model cars have been confirmed to me as having the fault so far 22/7/23'

Is this a software thing that can be fixed or a more serious problem, anyone heard of this and have any more info?
FYI, I was previously given a warning by site admin for posting this email address in the forum. I was told I was not allowed to post it as it is “personal“ contact details

You are correct. Stuart does not want this email address published here.

Just seen this on FB
'ALERT MG4 long range cars will NOT charge with new dual CCS BP pulse 150kw VW battery based high power charging stations.

Just seen this on FB

I have had this problem with BP 150kW chargers Instavolt... Have MG got a work around for the BP one ?

I cant Charge my MG4 long range the new BP150 either.. but at other 150 kW I can have MG for a work around for this ?
Just seen this on FB

I have had this issue too any luck with MG on a solution ?

I have had my MG4 Trophy Phase 2 for a few months now and not had a single issue with charging. I have rapid charged at Gridserve, Tesla and Instavolt but yesterday I found myself in Brighton. BP Pulse seems to be the only option in and around Brighton, with absolutely nothing else within 20 miles that is over 50kW.

I tried two different sites and spent an hour on the phone with their customer support but simply could not get any of these chargers to work, charge initialisation failed every time.

Luckily I still had 20 miles range and was able to find a destination charger that I could leave the car on overnight. Had I been trying to return home yesterday, I would have been screwed.

The BP Pulse customer support knew nothing of compatibility problems with ANY vehicles. Is this a BP Pulse or an MG problem?

From my experience of BP I would reckon it's their problem and not the car - also the recent Zapmap survey would back this up.

Last attempt on their 150 kW chargers - first one wouldn't start and they didn't answer the phone, then the second one only worked at about 37 kW.

I avoid them whenever possible...

I just checked the bp pulse map and confirmed most of the chargers in the area start with BPG.
Those chargers have several issues including not charging MG4s
Other chargers should be fine. BPU 150kW chargers are fine. I certainly never had problems with any other, and use mostly Tesla and BP chargers.

The only time I ever tried to use one of these chargers - in a suburb of Brighton - it was broken anyway, so that was that. I found a Blink 50 kW unit not far away and got charged on that.

When you combine BP charging and MG then you've got 2 unhelpful and unreliable companies to deal with! Good luck with trying to resolve that one 😉😳

Never had much joy with any BP chargers on my SE SR.
I've used the BP Pulse at Purple Parking, Gatwick Airport and it was fine. 2022 MG4 Trophy.

Had this on the Ireland FB MG4 owners forum back in July, don’t know if it worked as the OP didn’t follow up but apparant It came from MG UK:

here is the sequence for charging on your car MG4 :

At the BP Pulse CCS charger:
Step out of car, lock with key fob.
Unlock the car and plug in the CCS charger within 30 secs.
Immediately lock the car again.

I recall there was another post somewhere that said it is an MG problem and was supposed to be fixed in a future Sw update, but again no further info. Can’t try it out myself f as we don’t have BP Pulse in the ROI

Had this on the Ireland FB MG4 owners forum back in July, don’t know if it worked as the OP didn’t follow up but apparant It came from MG UK:

here is the sequence for charging on your car MG4 :

At the BP Pulse CCS charger:
Step out of car, lock with key fob.
Unlock the car and plug in the CCS charger within 30 secs.
Immediately lock the car again.

I recall there was another post somewhere that said it is an MG problem and was supposed to be fixed in a future Sw update, but again no further info. Can’t try it out myself f as we don’t have BP Pulse in the ROI
Mine has just been updated because I could not use fast chargers at all. Only, Zappi at home. I found this out on Tuesday (and it’s been in for this issue before) only to be told by my dealer they wouldn’t get it in for two weeks. Great I was off to Scotland the following Monday. After much back and forth between me and the dealer, I lost it I’m sad to say. Toys, dummy, the works went out my pram at a rate of knots along with a promise of me hitting social media up, slapping them around in the own FB account and multiple review sites and hitting on my local radio stations. Amazingly, they got me in on the Thursday for two days. Fixed the indicator lights in the charging port, they weren’t working, did multiple updates and lo and behold, I could charge again. What makes me really angry are things like having to threaten them with all this crap to get stuff done, having multiple visits to get a single (warranty) job done which leaves me £50 out of pocket with cabs. Having zero suggestions from them of how do they expect me to rely on a car I bought from them when they cannot offer timely repairs, the list just goes on and on. I’m wondering how much the dealer lie because how can they not know what the updates are for that they do? I ask every single time I have to go in for warranty work, what are the updates for? Answer: we don’t know, they are just file numbers to us. Really? The manufacturer doesn’t tell the dealers what they are doing? I’d like to say I’m speechless but I’m not. Unfortunately it’s lunch time and I’m getting hungry so I’m going to stop before I really let rip 🤬

And I’m normally pretty quiet, honest 🙄

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel