Dumb Wall Box Units - 32 Amp 7.00 Kw Compared To 16 Amp 3.60 Kw Unit's ?.

@Lovemyev, Is there any update? Did you resolve it? My car is also only drawing about 3kW on a 7kW wall box.
Thank you for your concern.
Quick answer ito the question is - Very Unlikely !.
It is the strangest thing, for the first couple of weeks it was a complete 70 - 30 situation.
70% of the time it would pull 7.0 kw's when requesting a charge and then the very next time, it would only charge at 3.6 kw's ?????.
Go figure that one !.
I have been keeping a record of it's behaviour ever since it received the BMS update on the 15th Jan 2021.
This is when the problem started.
What is even more strange, for the last 10 to 14 days it has pulled 7.0 kw's from the wall box every time single time I have attempted a charge.
But our usage pattern due to C19 restrictions is very small right now, so I am not reading to much into this very latest change of situation.
I have absolutely NO explanation why over the last 10 to 14 days is it now performed correctly.
Clearly, nothing has changed regarding the car or my wall box etc.
I have not tried using a rapid charger yet of course.
Am I convinced the problem has somehow just magically just disappeared ??? - Nope.
I will continue to record the behaviour that the car demonstrates.
It is very difficult under the present travel restrictions, as I am sure you understand.
On three occasions I have tried charging the car at our local supermarket, in an attempt to get the car to pull the reduced 3.6 kw's from an alternative 7.0 kw A/C post.
But on all three occasions the car pulled the Max 7.0 kw's.
The visits are just too infrequent to be able to prove my point.
Oh .......... Have you tried using an alternative charging post ?????.
A process of elimination would be a good idea.
I am extremely grateful that I have a home energy monitor, it reports the rate of consumption used by the car almost instantly.
I can usually tell what the energy monitor is likely report, by just looking at the remaining "Time left to Charge" in the dash panel of the car, when commencing a charge cycle.
After owning the car for over 12 months now, I can almost predict how long the car should take to complete a charge cycle from any given point of remaining range on the GOM..
If the car suddenly decides is only wants 3.6 kw's from the wall box, then the finish time is going to be TWICE the time that a 7.0 kw demand would take of course.
This makes it pretty easy to spot, the home energy meter is used to double confirm my feelings.
As you are aware, my dumb Rolec 32 Amp 7.0 kw wall box has NO way of regulating the rate of power supplied to the car, the car is the controlling factor here, pure and simple.
I have spoken to the Rolec Tech Team at some length and they have 100% assured me that there is nothing in the wall box or the charging cable that can cause this behaviour.
They are 100% convinced that the problem lies within the car.
After spending many many hours reading various post's on different EV forums and watching all of the weekly pod cast a few times over.
I now have an understanding that the charging module software SOULD be updated, prior to applying the latest BMS update being applied correctly.
Could this be an issue on my car ??????.
I can do nothing right now, but to continue recording my findings for a letter date.
The car performs and drives just fine otherwise.

Thank you for your concern.
Quick answer ito the question is - Very Unlikely !.
It is the strangest thing, for the first couple of weeks it was a complete 70 - 30 situation.
70% of the time it would pull 7.0 kw's when requesting a charge and then the very next time, it would only charge at 3.6 kw's ?????.
Go figure that one !.
I have been keeping a record of it's behaviour ever since it received the BMS update on the 15th Jan 2021.
This is when the problem started.
What is even more strange, for the last 10 to 14 days it has pulled 7.0 kw's from the wall box every time single time I have attempted a charge.
But our usage pattern due to C19 restrictions is very small right now, so I am not reading to much into this very latest change of situation.
I have absolutely NO explanation why over the last 10 to 14 days is it now performed correctly.
Clearly, nothing has changed regarding the car or my wall box etc.
I have not tried using a rapid charger yet of course.
Am I convinced the problem has somehow just magically just disappeared ??? - Nope.
I will continue to record the behaviour that the car demonstrates.
It is very difficult under the present travel restrictions, as I am sure you understand.
On three occasions I have tried charging the car at our local supermarket, in an attempt to get the car to pull the reduced 3.6 kw's from an alternative 7.0 kw A/C post.
But on all three occasions the car pulled the Max 7.0 kw's.
The visits are just too infrequent to be able to prove my point.
Oh .......... Have you tried using an alternative charging post ?????.
A process of elimination would be a good idea.
I am extremely grateful that I have a home energy monitor, it reports the rate of consumption used by the car almost instantly.
I can usually tell what the energy monitor is likely report, by just looking at the remaining "Time left to Charge" in the dash panel of the car, when commencing a charge cycle.
After owning the car for over 12 months now, I can almost predict how long the car should take to complete a charge cycle from any given point of remaining range on the GOM..
If the car suddenly decides is only wants 3.6 kw's from the wall box, then the finish time is going to be TWICE the time that a 7.0 kw demand would take of course.
This makes it pretty easy to spot, the home energy meter is used to double confirm my feelings.
As you are aware, my dumb Rolec 32 Amp 7.0 kw wall box has NO way of regulating the rate of power supplied to the car, the car is the controlling factor here, pure and simple.
I have spoken to the Rolec Tech Team at some length and they have 100% assured me that there is nothing in the wall box or the charging cable that can cause this behaviour.
They are 100% convinced that the problem lies within the car.
After spending many many hours reading various post's on different EV forums and watching all of the weekly pod cast a few times over.
I now have an understanding that the charging module software SOULD be updated, prior to applying the latest BMS update being applied correctly.
Could this be an issue on my car ??????.
I can do nothing right now, but to continue recording my findings for a letter date.
The car performs and drives just fine otherwise.
Thanks so much for your update. I only had the car for almost two weeks and only had 4 charging experience and so far the hours it takes suggest that it is only drawing 3kW as it requires to charge from 18% to full in 11 hours plus. I will try charging at external charger and see if it can draw 7kW.

Thanks so much for your update. I only had the car for almost two weeks and only had 4 charging experience and so far the hours it takes suggest that it is only drawing 3kW as it requires to charge from 18% to full in 11 hours plus. I will try charging at external charger and see if it can draw 7kW.
Are you able to tell if it is the charging cycle or the balancing process that is taking the time ?.
My guess is, it’s the balancing process that is taking the time !.

Last edited:
Are you able to tell if it is the charging cycle or the balancing process that is taking the time ?.
My guess is, it’s the balancing process that is taking the time !.
I have managed to found the cause of the problem. Even though the wall box is 7kW, the system was installed to only delivered 3kW because the previous car only needed 3kW charge rate. Nothing to do with the car.

I have managed to found the cause of the problem. Even though the wall box is 7kW, the system was installed to only delivered 3kW because the previous car only needed 3kW charge rate. Nothing to do with the car.
Glad to hear that it’s all sorted !.
Did you prove it by charging at the correct 7kw rate on another post as I suggested ?.
Your wall box must the facility to have the charge rate adjusted down to 3.6kw.
Was the power reduced because of the type of car used prior, or was it reduced due to the electrical circuit carrying capacity ?.
Is the circuit suppling the wall box suitable to carry 7.0kw’s is what I am saying.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom