Duped by a dealer????????

JohnnyBgood

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all,
I mentioned a few weeks back that I ordered an MG4 Trophy in Red at a dealers that had a cancellation order for the same spec.
I was told that the car got ordered with MG UK on the 19th August, according to the dealer it was the first day they could place orders.

Calling the dealer for an ETA update today, I got told it could be late Feb to Mid March.

If the general waiting time is 16 weeks from date of order, this order was not a cancellation but I now think that the dealer just told me that in order to get me to place an order with them.

I feel I have been duped by the dealer…….

Hi all,
I mentioned a few weeks back that I ordered an MG4 Trophy in Red at a dealers that had a cancellation order for the same spec.
I was told that the car got ordered with MG UK on the 19th August, according to the dealer it was the first day they could place orders.

Calling the dealer for an ETA update today, I got told it could be late Feb to Mid March.

If the general waiting time is 16 weeks from date of order, this order was not a cancellation but I now think that the dealer just told me that in order to get me to place an order with them.

I feel I have been duped by the dealer…….
That’s a lot more than 16 weeks!

A cancellation doesn’t necessarily speed things up, depends when MG make that colour/spec combination.

If you want a car quickly, ask for proof that the car is already in the UK.

To begin with dealers are just getting what they were given. The idea of a cancelled order doesn't really fit in with that system to my way of thinking.

An order is just that. I note that when you placed the order they only mentioned the order date but you make no mention of them giving you a delivery timescale. You just state "if the estimated timescale is 16 weeks" in your statement. Now if they strung you along with an expected delivery date that is a different thing. If you want to think positively you have a seat at the top table when they actually get round to fulfilling orders rather than at the moment random shipping.

Not defending the dealership but cancellation of an agreed shipment is different from cancellation of an order. You can have my order if I cancel it but there isn't a hard and fast delivery date on the order form just an estimate of March 2023...order placed end of August..

Look around and if you see the model you want available elsewhere jump in unless circumstances dictate you need to be with the original dealership

Just to be clear I am not defending the dealership if they were not clear and honest with you up front but....

Last edited:
An order is just that. I note that when you placed the order they only mentioned the order date but you make no mention of them giving you a delivery timescale. You just state "if the estimated timescale is 16 weeks" in your statement. Now if they strung you along with an expected delivery date that is a different thing. If you want to think positively you have a seat at the top table when they actually get round to fulfilling orders rather than at the moment random shipping.

Not defending the dealership but cancellation of an agreed shipment is different from cancellation of an order. You can have my order if I cancel it but there isn't a hard and fast delivery date on the order form just an estimate of March 2023...order placed end of August..

Look around and if you see the model you want available elsewhere jump in unless circumstances dictate you need to be with the original dealership

Just to be clear I am not defending the dealership if they were not clear and honest with you up front but....
Similar circumstances to me. I ordered a Trophy in August and was told that as I'd ordered an orange one "the most popular one", that one was bound to be delivered in September, then November, then late February '23. That's why I cancelled that order and was lucky enough to source a cancelled order at another dealer.
However, I was aware that my original order form did say "Delivery/Time Not of the Essence", as does my current deposit receipt.

From what I've heard, MG are just doing random deliveries this year, and won't even start building to cars to match orders until January.
That's why sometimes dealers don't know what they're getting until the transporter parks up outside their window.

From what I've heard, MG are just doing random deliveries this year, and won't even start building to cars to match orders until January.
That's why sometimes dealers don't know what they're getting until the transporter parks up outside their window.
Yes, this was on the podcast. By January they expect to be back to the normal order system, mix of allocations before then.

We placed our order with Vic Young Southsheilds and got an estimated delivery of January, I am a cash buyer, no px or finance to arrange or wait for, 3 weeks from order I was offered a cancellation and picked our orange trophy up last weekend. 600 mile round trip but worth it. Third electric car we have bought from this dealer. Honest, helpful and great people to deal with.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back