eCall SOS - terrible audio quality - garbled voices!

space travel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I had the bad luck to need to call the emergency services while driving earlier today.

I thought it would be a good idea to use the car's eCall SOS button, because it automatically transmits basic details about the car's location and would also save me having to handle my phone while driving.

I pressed and held down the button. There were some loud beeps and brief electronic garbling (not unlike a fax machine or dial up modem) which I guess was the telemetry data transmitting.

And then when the 999 operator spoke, it almost sounded like a fax machine too! The speech was robotic and so heavily garbled, it didn't even sound like English. Through the distortion, I couldn't even make out the shape of sentences or pick out individual words.

I gather they could hear me - it sounded like they connected me to the police when I asked. But all the speech on the other end of the line was completely indecipherable. I couldn't understand anything they were saying or answer any of (what I presume were) the questions they asked.

I had to end the call, carry on driving until it was safe to pull over, and try again from my mobile.

This was a really stressful and worrying experience. I thought eCall SOS was the preferred way of calling for help, and assumed it would available even if I didn't have a phone with me. Not being able to understand a word the emergency operator was saying was, to be honest, terrifying.

I've had my MG4 almost a month and driven 1,500 miles. I absolutely love the car so far and think it's fantastic (to the point where most of the issues I see written about here nearly make me wonder whether I've got a different car to everyone else!). But I think I need to have a serious conversation with my dealer on Monday.

Has anyone else used eCall SOS? And had good or bad experiences with it?

I should say, bluetooth handsfree has always worked perfectly - this issue only seems to be with eCall. I'm really hoping there's an easy software fix.

I apologise if this comment isn't relevant, but has the phone number been set up correctly? When I came to check on mine it was set to Cyprus. I presume your's must be correct otherwise it wouldn't have worked at all.

I apologise if this comment isn't relevant, but has the phone number been set up correctly? When I came to check on mine it was set to Cyprus. I presume your's must be correct otherwise it wouldn't have worked at all.
How do you check the number?

eCall just dials 112 - the European emergency number - which connects the same way as 999. So I don't think that'll be the issue. But thanks.

Thanks for that. Just checked mine and it was set to Cyprus
There was no number displayed on mine, so I pressed the country option and ditto, it was on Cypress. Changed it to uk, then it showed the number @Grriff said in his post above, which is the AA, MG assist number.

eCall just dials 112 - the European emergency number - which connects the same way as 999. So I don't think that'll be the issue. But thanks.
Does yours show 112 on the settings screen ? mine was set to cyprus but no number shown.

Swipe the home screen right to get the second screen and tap 'Rescue Call'. You should see the UK number 0800 072 3338. If necessary tap the 'Switch country' button.
I guess that must be a Trophy thing - my SE offers no options to set anything to do with eCall (as far as I can see).

I guess that must be a Trophy thing - my SE offers no options to set anything to do with eCall (as far as I can see).
I guess us Trophy drivers are more likely to need assistance. 😁
200.gif

The SE does have eCall, but there's nowhere in the car (that I can see) to set the eCall number. However ... in the app on the main menu screen, if you click the headset icon top-left that takes you to the Rescue Call page where you can set the country. With UK set then the number is indeed 0800 072 3338. :)

(I don't know if this syncs with the car to set it).

Tried my mgzs ev and the screen is blank and if you push switch country button.You get the message If you require assistance please contact the telephone number associated to the country where your vehicle was registered. Cancel/OK. No way to check??

Tried my mgzs ev and the screen is blank and if you push switch country button.You get the message If you require assistance please contact the telephone number associated to the country where your vehicle was registered. Cancel/OK. No way to check??
Mine was also set to Cyprus. It would only let me change it when the ignition was turned off. I contacted dealer and they thought it was an automatic setting done by the car. Just as well I checked it then. Thanks guys.

You can change the country for the rescue call in the iSmart app.
On the screen with the Remote Control, travel, MG Touchpoint settings etc. tap the headset icon at the top left
1697286619574.png

then Switch Country at the bottom of the next screen
select OK on the Disclaimer
then scroll to the country of your choice.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back