Electric or hybrid?

Most hybrids needs the engine to run for heat. So if your running short trips, you never use the electric when the weather is cold. Also you still have to pay road tax, congestion charge and some areas charge hybrids for residents permits, but exempt pure electric. Hybrids have higher servicing costs and more complex things break often. They are the great idea for that one or two journeys in a year, but for the rest of the year the hybrid's range would be wasted.

And if you really need the range for that once a year trip - hire a car, it would still be cheaper in the grand scheme of things and the once wise words from Jeremy Clarkson: "The fastest car is always a rental"
I have a Prius as well as the ZS EV and you do need the Prius engine to run for heat and the demisting and/or defrosting takes anything up 20 minutes in the winter compared to 5 minutes with the MG.
However The electric motor works just the same in cold or warm weather, it's just that the engine runs more to keep the car heated.
Mine is VED free as I got it in 2016 the year before they changed the rates.
The servicing costs at Toyota are well below many other makes and comparable the MG ZS EV.
They are not more complex than a normal ICE car as they have no gearbox, just a single planetary gear set between the engine and electric motor.
When I bought the MG last July, I kept the Prius for the odd longer trip to the coast but due to the present restrictions that turned out to be a mistake as it's hardly got used, only for local trips to keep it running.
I may decide to sell it when the insurance runs out end of March and go totally EV, then if a longer range ZS comes out later, I'll trade my current one for new or go for the MG5.

Buying a hybrid and driving it every day well within the parameters of an EV because you take a long trip once a year is like buying a 5 bedroom house and living in it alone because you have lots of family round for Christmas, in my opinion!

There’s a lot of this kind of thinking around though - I’ve heard people try to justify running a massive diesel for similar reasons.
I think that some of it is a culture thing too. If you analyse most cars, they have features and capabilities far in excess of what most people will ever need or use. I am guilty of this too.
for example;
speeds of up 155mph
4x4 all terrain vehicles in urban environment
high up suv style vehicles much bigger than really needed.
and don’t forget the status element too - the badge on the car is important so is the car - Range Rover for example - massive status and capability far beyond most users usage or requirements - but still massively popular.
It takes time to move on from this to a more practical and pragmatic approach to transport. Cars will always be seen as a form of status by many people, not just a way of getting about.

The issue with PHEV's is that people don't charge them enough to make the fuel savings. Especially people who have them as company cars just for the tax breaks.
Or plug them in to rapid chargers and annoy full electric cars owners who need a charge, as the PHEV is only pulling 3.6kw from a 50kw rapid charger...

The issue with PHEV's is that people don't charge them enough to make the fuel savings. Especially people who have them as company cars just for the tax breaks.
I could see that happening to me with a plug in hybrid. What? Now I have to remember to charge the damn thing as well as keeping it filled with petrol? Forgetaboutit!

I could see that happening to me with a plug in hybrid. What? Now I have to remember to charge the damn thing as well as keeping it filled with petrol? Forgetaboutit!
Having said that, I did check out the MG EHS PHEV in the showroom while I had my ZS EV in for the software update and it was a beauty! Really nice interior upgrade compared to the ZS!

Well, that sounds pretty unanimous! For our very basic needs, EV all the way!

The mechanic didn't know much about new MG cars, only the old Rovers which he wasn't too complimentary about, before putting the hybrid option out there!

Thanks, all!

Are we talking a hybrid like that rubbish from Toyota or a plug in hybrid ( PHEV ).
Huge difference !.
People who can not charge at home or has no access to a either reliable public / rapid charger and does big mileage every year, then there still is place for a PHEV.
But if your usage is small - it's a complete no brainer.
Some people dismiss an EV before even sitting down and looking at their motoring requirement.
The PHEV models of an car is almost certainly going to cost more than the standard ICE version of the same car.
You have to consider if your usage is going to be worth the outlay.
The service costs on a PHEV is also going to be more expensive.
I owned one for four years, so I can speak from experience.
Now moved into a full EV and very pleased I did.
Living in a large city with plenty of charging locations ?.
Has to be a smallish EV to help with the parking etc.
No more to say ........... Done !.

PHEV are alright around town but if you take them on a motorway on a long trip only the petrol engine is used and they get far worst consumption than a diesel. Go electric !

PHEV are alright around town but if you take them on a motorway on a long trip only the petrol engine is used and they get far worst consumption than a diesel. Go electric !
And worse economy than an equivalent petrol due to the extra weight of the often redundant batteries and motors.

You can still use the hybrid mode on faster / longer trips to conserve fuel, as long as you have enough range left in the battery.
VW have a "Hybrid Auto" mode that allows the system to choose the best use of the electric and petrol power.
When using the internal Sat Nav for a planned trip, it will choose what power is suited to each phase of the trip in order to reach your destination.
If you trip starts in town, you will be in electric mode.
Then when you are on the open road at higher speeds, it will flip into Hybrid Auto.
If the last leg of the journey is then back to town work, it will have conserved some of the electric range to use for that final part of the trip.
Very clever !.

About 15/20 miles per day. Weekends maybe up to 40 miles. The odd trip once or twice a year from London to further afield for staycations.

Average annual mileage is about 3000/4000 miles. Not a lot really.
Your mileage and location are identical to mine. Live in London, done 3500 miles in a year of EV ownership and never looked back.

I particularly enjoy the feeling of fuelling up for free while shopping.

I've been using my PHEV a little during this last week, and the first thing it does on these cold mornings, is to start its engine to fire up the heater.
As it happens I'm not too fussed, as I wanted to give the engine a little run anyway. But i've noticed my petrol gauge has moved down a little from 'full'.....where it has been resting for the last 4 months!

I face the prospect of paying for some fossil fuel, sometime in the next 6 months...........

I switched from hybrid (Mitsubishi outlander PHEV) to the ZS after an over £400 bill for servicing. The majority of the cost was ICE related ( oil, filter, plugs etc) on an engine that had little running as most of my miles had been in electric mode.
So definitely full E.V. for me.

I switched from hybrid (Mitsubishi outlander PHEV) to the ZS after an over £400 bill for servicing. The majority of the cost was ICE related ( oil, filter, plugs etc) on an engine that had little running as most of my miles had been in electric mode.
Are you going to trade the ZS in before the £400, 4th year service ? :D

When I traded in my Outlander PHEV, I got a £200+ road tax refund from DVLA ! Annual bill of £475 just to be on the road swung it for me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom