Electric or hybrid?

sounds like a good idea to me.......I bought a tow bar for my Mitsubishi recently, not got around to fitting it yet.

Was having a chat with a mechanic today about the ZS EV and he said, "Why would you think about going for an electric car when a hybrid makes much more sense?"

Any thoughts on this?
Whether taking a hybrid or an EV really really depends on the model itself. Priuses are a well-known hybrid for example, but the best way to choose is by comparing the models you are interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had two Lexus RX and my Prius PHV ( amounting to 220K miles and 14 years) and so far never had a problem with any of the Hybrid technology.

I have an electric and love it, it just takes a bit of planning to make sure it is charged as needed. I took mine in for an upgrade in November and was loaned a petrol car whilst it was in the garage, and I felt dirty driving that co2 emitting machine, and was glad to get in my clean machine afterwards.

Mitsubishi cars are they pulling out of the UK and Europe soon. Or is it the case competitions have left them behind by not having a full electric car!

Mechanics rely on the substantial amount of work that comes from ICE and Hybrid vehicles - so it's no surprise that a mechanic would suggest either of those.

A food for thought of the day. If we have a rash of new electric cars coming on the road. Will we have enough trained technicians to cope with the repairs on the electric side and body repairs after an accident?
So those are looking for a new jobs after leaving school, there must be a market in training or apprenticeships in this very field!

A food for thought of the day. If we have a rash of new electric cars coming on the road. Will we have enough trained technicians to cope with the repairs on the electric side and body repairs after an accident?
So those are looking for a new jobs after leaving school, there must be a market in training or apprenticeships in this very field!
Saw an article on this very subject earlier. Lockdown has had a substantial effect on people being trained up.

When I traded in my Outlander PHEV, I got a £200+ road tax refund from DVLA ! Annual bill of £475 just to be on the road swung it for me.
Hi Geordie, just realised I've put my 'Hi' in the wrong forum but now tracking through various forums and see you came from an Outlander PHEV.

I've had one for nearly 6 years but now looking at MG ev and can't decide between the ZS and the 5.

How do find the ZS in terms of luggage/ cargo space compared to the Outlander?

Hi,

Your daily mileage makes going fully electric 100%. No one else has mentioned this though "have you off road parking " ie able to have a home charger installed. If the answer is no then have a very hard look at the EV chargers near you ( and I mean within walking distance) .

I personally would advise NOT getting a EV if you are unable to have a home charger mainly based on cost (charging from public chargers can be very expensive and negate the EV fuel savings). The other factor is that you will soon get very missed (p) off trying to use public chargers by the inconvenience it will cause.

You may be lucky as you may have lots of EV chargers close to you, in London however due to parking problems I would think the charging points would continuously get ICED ( this is when none EVs use the charging bay as a parking bay), you will also have inconsiderate EV owners use it for their own parking/ charging bay.

If however you can put up with using public chargers then an EV makes the perfect choice for your driving needs.

Frank

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom