Electricity costs

NickJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Anyone else feeling well let down by the rising electricity tariffs in the UK. I know it's very selfish as there's a lot of people a lot worse than a retired bloke with a hybrid car but when the new price cap comes in in October it will be more expensive to charge than use petrol and by April god knows! I still use Tesco whenever I can but wonder if they will move away from free charging. One of the local outlet villages near me was free but now charges. There is no incentive now to go electric and I'm feeling I've wasted an extra £10k on a car to use more expensive electric than fuel. I know it's greener but there's no incentive from the government to do it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car but could have had a non hybrid HS for much less! Can't see it changing much in the future either. Glass half empty?? Anyone else any thoughts?

I can not see how it will be more expensive then petrol in October but I will have wait and see what the cost is to charge my car back up to 100%. At the present it cost me around £2.00 every other day to charge from 16 miles to 32 miles and put in £20 every 3 week and that’s traveling 16miles a day to and from work. I use the ICE up hills and try to use cruse control on the flat parts and regen down hill.
I use to have a 1.2lt car and would cost £23 a week at £1.29lt approximately now this car is a 1.5lt and I estimate it would cost £30 to £35 a week to do the same at today prices.

Last edited:
Anyone else feeling well let down by the rising electricity tariffs in the UK. I know it's very selfish as there's a lot of people a lot worse than a retired bloke with a hybrid car but when the new price cap comes in in October it will be more expensive to charge than use petrol and by April god knows! I still use Tesco whenever I can but wonder if they will move away from free charging. One of the local outlet villages near me was free but now charges. There is no incentive now to go electric and I'm feeling I've wasted an extra £10k on a car to use more expensive electric than fuel. I know it's greener but there's no incentive from the government to do it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the car but could have had a non hybrid HS for much less! Can't see it changing much in the future either. Glass half empty?? Anyone else any thoughts?
52p per KWH on the standard tariff - Ouch

Can still get EV tarrifs for 7.5p Kwh during the night from octopus, but if your heating is electric and not storage heaters this will be a bad idea

You need to looking at replacing the heater you have with storage heaters and this can be done for free. Take a look on the internet and make some inquiries at that , this is not efficient heating and there are government grant paid to installers to supply and do the work.

Did you also factor in the ever increasing VED as well ?
My Kia Ceed was £13:56 a month and Now is £14.44 from next month when it renews next week
So that’s at lest 2 recharges there

Did you also factor in the ever increasing VED as well ?
My Kia Ceed was £13:56 a month and Now is £14.44 from next month when it renews next week
So that’s at lest 2 recharges there
But you would have VED on cars this size but all EV is no VED, how about the insurance and serving, it’s all the cost of driving cars.

But you would have VED on cars this size but all EV is no VED, how about the insurance and serving, it’s all the cost of driving cars.
As you put oil refining cost go up and most standard cars take 4ish litres of oil and if serviced properly that’s every 12 months or sooner if a rep mobile or taxi

It’s going to be tough times for a lot of people this winter with energy tariffs reaching ridiculous prices plus when you talk about no VED on EVs that’s going to change soon with talk of a pay as you go scheme which is another reason it will make it more expensive than your ICE car I reckon.

Last edited:
It’s going to be tough times for a lot of people this winter with energy tariffs reaching ridiculous prices plus when you talk about no VED on EVs that’s going to change soon with talk of a pay as you go scheme which is another will make it more expensive than your ICE car I reckon.
I can not see how pay as you go working, it would take most cars of the road, how would goods be moved around. Mayor of London would like to do this but would kill London. I did a quick working out and it would have to be 1 or 2 p mile would cover the same amount I paid in VED this year on my miles for a year. Then the Infrastructure needed would take time to set up on every road in the Uk. You can have to pay to go in to city’s or toll road for long distance, one thing is that every one would pay and non taxed cars would be a thing of the pass if the technology can be put in every car which would have to communicate with central hub and at the same time have a code for insurance to input otherwise the car would not move. It will come one day.

I can not see how pay as you go working, it would take most cars of the road, how would goods be moved around. Mayor of London would like to do this but would kill London. I did a quick working out and it would have to be 1 or 2 p mile would cover the same amount I paid in VED this year on my miles for a year. Then the Infrastructure needed would take time to set up on every road in the Uk. You can have to pay to go in to city’s or toll road for long distance, one thing is that every one would pay and non taxed cars would be a thing of the pass if the technology can be put in every car which would have to communicate with central hub and at the same time have a code for insurance to input otherwise the car would not move. It will come one day.
Yep you might be right on the pay as you go i am only going by what I have read although I did wonder how the hell it would work but there is going to be some sort of extra tax on the EV lets just hope they wait until this energy crisis has died down otherwise it’s no heating no lights on no cooking and no driving I reckon!!!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom