Electricity tarrifs Octopus go Vs intelligent MG4 compatibility

dido

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Awaiting my MG4.
Got a pod point fitted by the leasing deal already.
I am with octopus energy, trying to figure out best deal for off peak charging.
Is octopus go a no brainer? What is that octopus intelligent?
Do these scheme need a "compatible" EV , how compatible or incompatible is MG4 with off peak tarrifs and smart charging points.....?

I can only speak about GO tariff. I can schedule on either the charger (new motion) or the car. Nothing special needed other than that ability and a smart meter. For myself currently at 7.5p, 00:30 until 04:30, that suits my needs just fine.

Last edited:
Awaiting my MG4.
Do these scheme need a "compatible" EV , how compatible or incompatible is MG4 with off peak tarrifs and smart charging points.....?
Octopus Intelligent FAQ

The MG4 isn't listed as a compatible car for Octopus Intelligent, I'm not sure I see that changing, you can use it via the Ohme Pro charger but as you've just had a different charger fitted that would be a massive waste really...

The Octopus Go tariff is pretty good too really, I made a spreadsheet and based off 160 miles a week I think it was roughly £10 a month difference between that and Octopus Intelligent, but Go was still considerably cheaper than a standard non-EV tariff.

The Octopus Go tariff is pretty good too really, I made a spreadsheet and based off 160 miles a week I think it was roughly £10 a month difference between that and Octopus Intelligent, but Go was still considerably cheaper than a standard non-EV tariff.
You can't make those calculations in isolation though, as the non-cheap hours are more expensive. Have you calculated total costs including dishwasher, washing machine, fridge/freezer, TV, computers etc. etc.? Have you time-shifted dishwasher/washing machine (for example) to the cheap hours?

You can't make those calculations in isolation though, as the non-cheap hours are more expensive. Have you calculated total costs including dishwasher, washing machine, fridge/freezer, TV, computers etc. etc.? Have you time-shifted dishwasher/washing machine (for example) to the cheap hours?

True, which also means my calculations aren't 100% relevant to dido.

For me, my usage is pretty low overall (and is included in that calculation), no dishwasher so only thing to potentially time-shift would be washing machine and frankly I'm not gonna do that :p I'll wash stuff as/when I get around to it...

Awaiting my MG4.
As explained above you'll have to use Go.

When we took delivery of our MG4 on the last day of October I winced a little at increasing our day time tariff from 34p to 42p but we did and the Octopus bills since tell me that as an overall average my electricity is costing 25p per kwh and that's with quite a few (10 -15) Rapid charges on long journeys, so if all my 4,000 miles were charged at home then that average price per unit would be lower. Also to be fare as our appliances are all new with timers the dishwasher and washing machine always run in the 12p period.

We were already Octopus customers and swapping was almost immediate, the smart meter was showing the new tariff the next morning and they told me I could swap back to the standard tariff if I waited at least 30 days to do so.

I couldn't have been easier to do and I'm glad I did it.

The MG4 is perfectly compatible, for me I always set the charge period from the charger but have tested it scheduled by the car.

Good luck

If you need about 28kWh added a night the 4 hours on Go with a 7kW EVSE will do it.
If you need more then that try IO and get a minimum of 6 hours but you will need an Ohme EVSE.

Not sure it would be cheaper overall on intelligent octopus with a cheap rate of 10p and daytime rate of 40.23p (at time of writing) when I'm only paying 23p on Octopus tracker (that varies each day but I'd say that's what it's been for a while now).

Just to throw a spanner into the calculations the rates are going to alter in April when the energy support scheme ends. Will the rates increase by the same percentage?

I'm not with Octopus but have an Economy 7 tariff with a day rate of 30.33p and a 7 hour night rate of 13.87p

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back