Emergency charge port release

To get the true reading of the battery you would need to do this when the car is off. When the car is on it is sending charge to the battery to charge it. This will give a false reading.

Right okay, that makes sense.

So updates, in case anyone's interested in my battle with the charging flap.

I've managed to jump start the car again and leave it running for about 5 mins. Turned the car off, checked the battery voltage using a multi meter (it showed 12.05V).

Then I was able to turn the car on again (this time around the 12V battery held itself). Lots of warning messages on the dash. The charging flap still wouldn't open. Tried turning the car off, waiting for a while, turning the car on, opening the doors, windows, etc. No luck with the charging flap.

So I figured, let's go for a drive. Drove about 15 mins or so. Midway through the drive, all the warning lights went off. ACC, LKAS, KERS all working again.

Got back home and tried the charging flap... viola! it worked.

Didn't have to push it hard or anything, just the way I usually open the charging flap. I've got the car charging now, will get it to 100%. I've got my annual service booked next week, might ask the dealership if they can advise.

Fingers crossed the 12V battery is still okay. I don't mind replacing it... I wonder if it's covered under warranty.

Photos attached. Please excuse the bugs.

Attachments

• PXL_20230704_095040645.jpg
    PXL_20230704_095040645.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20230704_100230947.jpg
    PXL_20230704_100230947.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 100
Right okay, that makes sense.

So updates, in case anyone's interested in my battle with the charging flap.

I've managed to jump start the car again and leave it running for about 5 mins. Turned the car off, checked the battery voltage using a multi meter (it showed 12.05V).

Then I was able to turn the car on again (this time around the 12V battery held itself). Lots of warning messages on the dash. The charging flap still wouldn't open. Tried turning the car off, waiting for a while, turning the car on, opening the doors, windows, etc. No luck with the charging flap.

So I figured, let's go for a drive. Drove about 15 mins or so. Midway through the drive, all the warning lights went off. ACC, LKAS, KERS all working again.

Got back home and tried the charging flap... viola! it worked.

Didn't have to push it hard or anything, just the way I usually open the charging flap. I've got the car charging now, will get it to 100%. I've got my annual service booked next week, might ask the dealership if they can advise.

Fingers crossed the 12V battery is still okay. I don't mind replacing it... I wonder if it's covered under warranty.

Photos attached. Please excuse the bugs.
Great news you got it sorted. Always good to share what you did as sooner or later someone will have the same issue.

When the 12v has been dead it is not unusual to have warning messages until the car gets a chance to work out everything is working ok. I use to get this on petrol cars I have had with bad batteries.

Yeah I tried pushing on the flap. No luck. Also tried pushing it and holding it in. Then locking and unlocking the car. No luck.

Ah my bad. I thought that was the 12v battery voltage. Using the multimeter I've measured the voltage of the battery when the car is on (after jump starting it the second time). And it's 14.50V which is consistent with display on the car.

I thought to have a look at my port cover today as I was charging. Here's 2 pictures which explain why you can't just pull the door open. It looks to me as if it's a dealer job unless you get lucky with your pushing.

The first pic is the fully in and locked position, the second is the halfway detent. You can see the locking bar rotatesas the pin goes in and out. When out fully the bar is vertical and I guess it's got stuck or something and the only access is from behind if the door is closed.

Attachments

• IMG_20230704_182429.jpg
    IMG_20230704_182429.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20230704_182414.jpg
    IMG_20230704_182414.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 103
I am happy to be corrected but I believe you can jump start an EV the same way you can a petrol car. All you are doing is providing 12v from another source. I have a portable battery pack left over from when I had a car with dodgy electrics. I keep this in the car but have not needed yet. Touch wood.

I have heard people suggest the 12v that comes with the car is cheap but no idea if this is true or not.
I've used one of those lithium jump starter batteries on an Ioniq EV before, and it worked fine (Well other than the horn blasting in my ear as soon as the car got power).

I'd be careful about leaving one in the car during hot weather though as the cabin can get quite hot and the last thing you want is a swollen LI-Po cell

Shiv, the emergency release is for a cable stuck in the charging port. But it is not a robust system, for a trapped cable the technique is a gentle pull on the cable and simultaneously a pull on the stuck charging cable. So once you solve the flap problem check that a charging cable will lock, charge and then unlock - just in case your understandable frustration with the flap meant a bit too much force was applied. Experience shows this can be a problem and the fix is a replacement charging port under warranty.

Ah okay. I'll check with my neighbours when they're home and see if I can jump start.

As to why the 12V battery got depleted overnight remains a mystery to me.
I depleted the battery overnight in my first week of ownership. I think I accidentally nudged the lighting stalk and had the headlights on all night and most of the way into the next day,

Shiv, the emergency release is for a cable stuck in the charging port. But it is not a robust system, for a trapped cable the technique is a gentle pull on the cable and simultaneously a pull on the stuck charging cable. So once you solve the flap problem check that a charging cable will lock, charge and then unlock - just in case your understandable frustration with the flap meant a bit too much force was applied. Experience shows this can be a problem and the fix is a replacement charging port under warranty.
Hey thanks for this. I've checked to make sure it works.
I depleted the battery overnight in my first week of ownership. I think I accidentally nudged the lighting stalk and had the headlights on all night and most of the way into the next day,
I think, I may have accidentally done something similar.
It's been a few days now and no further problems with the car battery. fingers crossed!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom