Emergency spare wheel

Dave53

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just a heads up to anyone who has the small spare wheel, had a puncture in the rear tyre, it was a rip on the side of the tyre so the gum inflator would not have been able to repair it, I fitted the emergency tyre and noticed it states on the tyre to inflate to 60 psi, luckily I had an inflator in the boot, mines had been sitting waiting to be used at 20 psi so had to inflate a further 40psi, if you have an emergency tyre, I suggest you check what the psi is could save you an issue as they are unstable enough without being under inflated.

Thanks for that.
When i got my VW spare I did notice that the pressure was higher than a normal wheel.

It's very common for the spare wheel to get over looked, when it comes to tyre pressure settings.
The car has is own TPMS for keeping an eye on the tyre pressure status, but the spare tends to get forgotten a lot !.
It SHOULD get checked when the car gets serviced, I bet it gets missed though !.
Not all cars have the optional space saver, so again it can get missed.

Just a heads up to anyone who has the small spare wheel, had a puncture in the rear tyre, it was a rip on the side of the tyre so the gum inflator would not have been able to repair it, I fitted the emergency tyre and noticed it states on the tyre to inflate to 60 psi, luckily I had an inflator in the boot, mines had been sitting waiting to be used at 20 psi so had to inflate a further 40psi, if you have an emergency tyre, I suggest you check what the psi is could save you an issue as they are unstable enough without being under inflated.
Would you be so kind as to post the sizing specs of your spare wheel please Dave?

Hmm 125/90/16 is not really a good match for 215/55/17 as a 5.5% different I size they recommend no more than 3% difference

Hmm 125/90/16 is not really a good match for 215/55/17 as a 5.5% different I size they recommend no more than 3% difference
ISTR reading somewhere the limit is somewhere near 10 or 12% difference.
I'll try and find where I read it.

Ignore me, I must've been having a senior moment. :oops:
homer-doh.jpg

Last edited:
In an ideal world, the space saver rolling radius will be the same as the full-size wheel/tyre already fitted to the car. But they can run within 2.5 to 3% of the car's proper wheels perfectly safely.

The problem is 125/90/16 is good for old zs 215/50/17 = 2.4% but new zs is 215/55/17=5.5%

In an ideal world, the space saver rolling radius will be the same as the full-size wheel/tyre already fitted to the car. But they can run within 2.5 to 3% of the car's proper wheels perfectly safely.

The problem is 125/90/16 is good for old zs 215/50/17 = 2.4% but new zs is 215/55/17=5.5%
Would not like to travel any distance on it, it's only meant to get you to the nearest garage at maximum 50 mph, I would have fitted a bicycle tyre to get me there if it fitted(joke!)🤣🤣🤣🤣

Would not like to travel any distance on it, it's only meant to get you to the nearest garage at maximum 50 mph, I would have fitted a bicycle tyre to get me there if it fitted(joke!)🤣🤣🤣🤣
I totally get it anything that will fit would work the biggest problem is with todays cars abs sensors are normally speed sensors as well and if you go to big or to small can make car undriveable as the ecu has a fit😜

I've always had a spare in all my cars, but TBH I can't ever remember using the skinny spare on any of them. The few times I've had punctures, they have been slow ones and I've been near to home, where there are two tyre depots within half a mile, so I just overinflated the punctured tyre a bit and drove round to the tyre place.

I've always had a spare in all my cars, but TBH I can't ever remember using the skinny spare on any of them. The few times I've had punctures, they have been slow ones and I've been near to home, where there are two tyre depots within half a mile, so I just overinflated the punctured tyre a bit and drove round to the tyre place.
I've had two now, both deflated quickly and I could not re-inflate either, so it saved me a call to the AA on both occasions, I won't use the gunk as been told you can't use the tyre once you have used it, so it becomes an expensive choice, unfortunately on my recent one the puncture was a tear on the side so had to be replaced but on the first one the emergency tyre paid for it self.

Some modern gunks are water based and can be washed out of the tyre. Not sure if that applies the the MG one or not.

In my experience all let you reuse its just horrible to clean out so garages just say it needs replacing

While waiting for a slow puncture to be repaired I was idly gazing at a stack of new Hankook tyres which had a self sealing band around the inside of the tyre. I understand that many other brands make similar. Does anybody have experience with these?

While waiting for a slow puncture to be repaired I was idly gazing at a stack of new Hankook tyres which had a self sealing band around the inside of the tyre. I understand that many other brands make similar. Does anybody have experience with these?
Runflats maybe ?
There used to be some gunk stuff (saw it on one of the TV shopping channels) that you put in your tyre (before getting a puncture) that did the same thing.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom