Emergency spare wheel

Runflats maybe ?
There used to be some gunk stuff (saw it on one of the TV shopping channels) that you put in your tyre (before getting a puncture) that did the same thing.
Ultraseal gets used alot on motorbikes it makes the tyres self heal you use to prevent from punches

Runflats maybe ?
There used to be some gunk stuff (saw it on one of the TV shopping channels) that you put in your tyre (before getting a puncture) that did the same thing.
I don't care much for "Run Flats" myself.
They are really HEAVY and produce a fair bit of road noise, they tend to be expensive to replace.

Runflats maybe ?
Down in NZ the bottles of sealant are sold under various brands such as Gunk and Tyre Slime. I've used them in my motorbikes since it came on the market, plus in cars as necessary. The Hankooks were the first that I've seen with a factory applied self sealing band.

I don't care much for "Run Flats" myself.
They are really HEAVY and produce a fair bit of road noise, they tend to be expensive to replace.
These are quite different from Runflats which have either much stronger sidewalls or a central column of firm rubber or whatever to support the tread of the tyre in the event of loss of pressure.

Down in NZ the bottles of sealant are sold under various brands such as Gunk and Tyre Slime. I've used them in my motorbikes since it came on the market, plus in cars as necessary. The Hankooks were the first that I've seen with a factory applied self sealing band.
many many years ago, Dunlop did a tyre I think it was called denovo. In the wheel were several canisters that contained gunk plus something to re-inflate a tyre. The idea was that after a puncture, the flat tyre would contact the canisters, breaking them open and releasing all the required stuff. Apparently re inflation only took a few revolutions.

many many years ago, Dunlop did a tyre I think it was called denovo. In the wheel were several canisters that contained gunk plus something to re-inflate a tyre. The idea was that after a puncture, the flat tyre would contact the canisters, breaking them open and releasing all the required stuff. Apparently re inflation only took a few revolutions.
I remember those tyres !.
Some of the Rovers had them fitted.
Bloody hell, they where heavy lift from the car on a two poster ramp.

In my experience all let you reuse its just horrible to clean out so garages just say it needs replacing
I think by the time they would take to clean it, to allow it to be used again along with the cost of the chemicals it would more expensive than the tyre was worth, especially if it had a bit of wear,

I've used my spacesaver spare three times on my current car, so will be getting one for the MG. Thanks for the link.

You need to check them every now and then - I had a valve which got worn out and shot out when I tried to inflate it (the spare was held under the boot and got a lot of abuse from salt and ice on the road).

Just remember one important thing.

If you use "gunk" or even the tyre sealant that is a part of the car, you are likely to ruin the TPMS sensor.

This is a sensor that sits inside the wheel on the valvestem, and measures the tyre pressure.

If you shoot this stuff into the tyre, it will get into the puncture but also the sensor, and it might gum up the sensor to the point where it will not give you a usable reading.

Just remember one important thing.

If you use "gunk" or even the tyre sealant that is a part of the car, you are likely to ruin the TPMS sensor.

This is a sensor that sits inside the wheel on the valvestem, and measures the tyre pressure.

If you shoot this stuff into the tyre, it will get into the puncture but also the sensor, and it might gum up the sensor to the point where it will not give you a usable reading.

I understand what you are saying but I have never had a problem with tpms and sealant normal take out and run under tap and add new value only times I have need to replace them is when battery is flat

I understand what you are saying but I have never had a problem with tpms and sealant normal take out and run under tap and add new value only times I have need to replace them is when battery is flat
I have heard of more than a few that has had problems.

Maybe different car brands use different types of TMPS and some are more prone to problems than others, but as said, i have heard of people having to replace the TPMS sensor as well, when they tried to fix their tyre with the gunk that comes with the car.

I have heard of more than a few that has had problems.

Maybe different car brands use different types of TMPS and some are more prone to problems than others, but as said, i have heard of people having to replace the TPMS sensor as well, when they tried to fix their tyre with the gunk that comes with the car.
Normally garages trying it on I bet the thing is the sealant or air don't pass through the sensors there is a hole before the sensors the sensors is just held in place by the valve the sensor its self has a hole but not for air to pass through its to a pressure pad it's easily cleaned
Screenshot_20220417_195732.jpg
Screenshot_20220417_195635.jpg
Screenshot_20220417_195820.jpg
Screenshot_20220417_195706.jpg

Also centrifugal force keeps sealant stuck to the outside of the tyre so most of it is kept away from sensors

I am just looking on the "Holts Tyre Weld" site ( link below ).
It states on the first page :-
"No damage to tyre guaranteed - Washes out of tyres easily after use".
"Q&A's"- Because Holts Tyreweld contains a non-toxic formula that can be washed out of the inside of tyres, there’s no reason why a tyre can’t be repaired rather than replaced. This isn’t the case with all puncture repair kits, where a new tyre is needed because the product doesn’t wash out.

I am just looking on the "Holts Tyre Weld" site ( link below ).
It states on the first page :-
"No damage to tyre guaranteed - Washes out of tyres easily after use".
"Q&A's"- Because Holts Tyreweld contains a non-toxic formula that can be washed out of the inside of tyres, there’s no reason why a tyre can’t be repaired rather than replaced. This isn’t the case with all puncture repair kits, where a new tyre is needed because the product doesn’t wash out.
So it seems to me that if they write that, at some point there has been problems with "tyreweld" products.

My guess is that the people i read about, used "Something other than Holts tyre weld" :)

Good to know that they actually addressed this problem

Looking at the actual bottle in the car, it does not mention that it is TPMS safe, just that you must "replace tyre without delay" and not drive above 50 mph after aplying the solution.

I am looking at getting a spare tyre kit, and when/if i get this, the "tyreweld" product will be taken out of the car and certainly never used. :)

The holts tyreweld is easy to remove as it's like shaving foam it's the ones that come with the car that's horrible liquid rubber

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom