Engine fail - doesn't start/turn off

AnnoyedwithMG

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi everyone!

I have had some recurring issues with my MH EHS 2021.

A few days ago another incident where the car refuses to turn itself of. It was a completely impossible to press anything to make the car shut down.

I've had other times where the car doesn't start either.

My patience is very much on the brink of being gone. I've never had issues with a car as I've had with this one and it's barely 12 months.

My question to you:

Have you had similar experiences? What have you done to solve it? Unfortunately I'm in a lease contract for another 12 months and I'm not very pleased about it.

Looking forward to hear about your experiences.

18k miles, 16 months that is the 1st time I am hearing of this sort of behaviour.
Starting issues could be related to 12V battery but can't think of anything that would cause it to not shut down

Sorry I'm so late to this, but we had an occasion where the HS PHEV would neither turn fully on nor turn off. It was just stuck in some software hinterland. There were some warning lights and/or messages on the dashboard I think but it's 15 months ago now so I'm not sure.

I concluded that it was the driver setting off driving before the car had completed its checks, i.e. driving before the "system ready" message. The driver had previously had a 'normal' diesel and was used to starting it and driving straight away.

There have been no further occurrences since.

At the time the 12V battery had to be disconnected for a few minutes to allow a reset. Like many other EV drivers we now carry a 10mm spanner in the car in case a 'reset' is ever needed again.

I've had similar problems with my MG 5 EV - unable to turn the engine off or start it and select gears. First time it happened I had to call out the AA - mechanic didn't know what the issue was. He wiggled the steering wheel from side to side - eventually after a few minutes fiddling, he was able to turn the car off and restart it. Thought it might be due to some sensor determining the position of the steering wheel.

Had exactly the same problem today where I couldn't switch the car off. I had to leave the car "on" for about an hour as my grandaughter was due a horse riding lesson. When we returned to the car it was still "on" but unresponsive. I fiddled with the steering wheel as before, and after a few minutes wiggling from side to side I was able to switch off and restart as normal.

It seems likely that the problem is related to the position of the steering wheel/steering lock. Next time I get the car serviced I will ask the dealer to look at it.

Hi everyone that has taken the time to reply to my post. I have clearly not seen this before.

It’s just very strange how some of you also have experienced something similar. After that incident my car has been to a service center and they didn’t find anything that would cause the issues mentioned.

I did further investigate what could be the trigger for this behavior and found out that when my smartphone ( a Huawei p30 pro) was connected to Bluetooth it would get in that state of not being able to turn off or just not respond.

I tried this theory multiple times and it “worked” every time. I switched phones and now have an IPhone and haven’t had any issues since.

Last edited:
Hi everyone that has taken the time to reply to my post. I have clearly not seen this before.

It’s just very strange how some of you also have experienced something similar. After that incident my car has been to a service center and they didn’t find anything that would cause the issues mentioned.

I did further investigate what could be the trigger for this behavior and found out that when my smartphone ( a Huawei p30 pro) was connected to Bluetooth it would get in that state of not being able to turn off or just not respond.

I tried this theory multiple times and it “worked” every time. I switched phones and now have an IPhone and haven’t had any issues since.
My car won't turn off also. I had it on charge for 24 hours and still not turning off. Manged to get battery from 38% to 98%. I went and tried the steering wheel wiggle, no luck. I don't have my android phone in the car atm and still no change. I'm now waiting for a technician to come.

My car won't turn off also. I had it on charge for 24 hours and still not turning off. Manged to get battery from 38% to 98%. I went and tried the steering wheel wiggle, no luck. I don't have my android phone in the car atm and still no change. I'm now waiting for a technician to come.
Technician came and did a reset? Yay car working normally now. Might go in to the dealership and see if they will do anything else

Yes, not an unusual situation, I get a 'Release Steering' message with nothing responding. After some time, typically 30 to 60 minutes, the message clears and all is well!

Technician came and did a reset? Yay car working normally now. Might go in to the dealership and see if they will do anything else
I rang the dealership and they said "it's electronic, a bit like a phone or computer that has a problem. Once you do a reset the problem goes away."

I had two identical issues with my own MG PHEV from March 2021.
Once a year ago, afther refueling, I wanted to start the engine and continue my drive, but the car went on (all dashboard lights on and the blower on) , and unable to drive, and unable to turn the car off (no reaction at all on the power button, and not possible to select a gear except Neutral or Park position).
It was 1700 km from home near the Rusian board, and no dealer in the neighborhood, and home dealer was just closed.
After 15 minutes the car reset it self, all lights went off blower stops, and I was able to start the engine and continue my drive.
And yesterday evening while arriving home, parked the car, and wanted to park it a liitle more gently, at the electricity charger, (so I didn't turn off the car at that moment) but was unable to select a gear except the Park, or Neutral, position.
So I deside to stop the car (that works), and start charging, and this morining, all was well, the car startup normal, and no issue detected.

I feel somewhat uncomfortable with these two issues, so I'm thinking to change car for an other brand.

The dealer never heard off this kind off incidents.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom