Enormous depreciation?

This thread will soon be merged with the one below: ;)

I bought my MG4 in September (new, pre-registered “23”)
It has only done 3,000 miles and I only collected it 5 months ago.
The depreciation is a bit of a shock, but I can kinda understand that.

I am in negative equity and so need to get a fair price for it. It is a 51KWH SE SR.
It has an interesting reg number “MG 13 AMP.
Would I be able to get close to £19k for it do you think?
This is not a for sale advert because I can’t yet sell it until I have got the £5k difference in what I owe for it.

Thanks
Steve B

Why do you want to sell it?

When I renewed my insurance one of the policies I was looking at valued my car, an April registration and a phase 1, at £19,500. So I would have thought that ball park was reasonable.

You do need to be very careful with salary sacrifice if you have a contributory pension scheme. I contribute 8.7% but if I used salary sacrifice at a £300 monthly payment, that would reduce my contribution by £313 a yr, close to £1k on a 3yr lease, over a 35yr working life that is £12k loss of contributions in today’s money. That will reduce your pension when you retire, depending on the type of pension it could be significant in the long term if you manage to stay alive! It certainly doesn’t work for me on an index linked pension, It’s basically having the car cheaper now but paying for it in later life when of course you will want as much money as possible.
Fortunately I don’t have a contributory pension scheme as I’m close to retirement. But good to know.

I had previously leased a Mercedes before so was inclined to lease as buying new almost involves significant depreciation so I did not look at the option of purchasing cash or PCP. With salary sacrifice I am effectively paying just over £300 pcm (including all maintenance and parts) for £15k miles pa. So the trophy is costing me £3.6k per year which I think is way less than the depreciation if I bought it. Over 3 years it may even out a bit more but if you can get salary sacrifice leasing rather than buying it is a no brainer.

People buy new cars for various reasons other than financial considerations and i understand that but financially, if you can do it, leasing by salary sacrifice is far better.
By way of an update, I have just been made redundant but may be employed by another company and they are trying to novate the lease to the other company. So this is a downside to salary sacrifice that I did not consider.

I bought my MG4 LR 18 months ago for £28.5k with £7k down, so £21.5k credit to pay + about £3.8k interest over 36 months (7%), £15k guaranteed at the end. Asked for a settlement fee the other day, 18 months in, and that was £19.5k. Can't find an offer over £20k anywhere for the car, so essentially it looks like I've lost my £7k in 18 months and am now worried I'll only just about break even in another 18 months when it comes time to walk away. I have gap insurance but I'll lose 100% of the equity I have in the car - that strikes me as enormous deprecation, unless I'm missing something, not good at all.
I recently bought a MG5 trophy long range, 4 months old and thought I had a good deal with £11k off the new price but when I entered the registration on 'we buy any car' it valued it at £15.6k, less than half price!

I bought my MG4 LR 18 months ago for £28.5k with £7k down, so £21.5k credit to pay + about £3.8k interest over 36 months (7%), £15k guaranteed at the end. Asked for a settlement fee the other day, 18 months in, and that was £19.5k. Can't find an offer over £20k anywhere for the car, so essentially it looks like I've lost my £7k in 18 months and am now worried I'll only just about break even in another 18 months when it comes time to walk away. I have gap insurance but I'll lose 100% of the equity I have in the car - that strikes me as enormous deprecation, unless I'm missing something, not good at all.
I have a PHIV TROPHY bought in August 2023 for £33.750 plus all the body and wheel protection. Have done 3300 miles and is still in showroom condition. Just been offered by a dealer in part ex £20,500 ! Disgusting depreciation.

I have a PHIV TROPHY bought in August 2023 for £33.750 plus all the body and wheel protection. Have done 3300 miles and is still in showroom condition. Just been offered by a dealer in part ex £20,500 ! Disgusting depreciation.
Don't worry about it, can't do owt about it, just enjoy ya motor. 🙂👍

It will lose the VAT the moment you drive it away which is £6750. Body and wheel protection add no value just extra cost. Extra cost colours add nothing and adding options to factory cars add next to nothing.

If you don’t want depreciation don’t buy a new car. The MG4 is one of the least depreciating electric cars, especially in the SE SR. Get yourself a Mokka E and you’re looking at a world of pain.

I can say that it is quite normal for EVs, not that normal for ICE. What you're essentially facing is ~30% depreciation over 1,5 year. I did a bit of analysis and I can say that kind of depreciation on ICE would happen after ~3 years, at least for most of vehicles that I looked into: Car Depreciation Myths: the Future of EVs Value - EVhicle. The analysis is not perfect and covers only popular cars on the market, but it gives a rough overview of were we are now.
Unfortunately I also see that this will continue to happen for several reasons:
1. Governments manipulating prices of new vehicles (extra benefits for buying EVs)
2. China makes lowering prices, what makes all manufacturers to lower the prices, as more China makes are entering EU and US. As a result we get rapid prices drop for new vehicles and of course nobody wants to pay more for used car than for new one.
3. Fast new tech development, remember how it was with computers back in the 90s? So in general you won't pay just a little less for car that is enabling you 40-50% of range that a new one is allowing you to reach. Same with infotainment and self driving capabilities - the more such upgrades are introduced in new vehicles the less value stays in older ones.

Regarding the above UK might actually be in a better position in terms of depreciation as rest of EU are driving on the other side of the road, so things happening outside of UK (tax benefits) are not really affecting UK.

I've just looked on WBAC for a valuation on our September 23 MG5 Trophy with 2200 miles on it. We paid £32,500 and they offered £14,480, I'm so glad we went the PCP route with a guaranteed value of £17,000 at 4 years old.

I've just looked on WBAC for a valuation on our September 23 MG5 Trophy with 2200 miles on it. We paid £32,500 and they offered £14,480, I'm so glad we went the PCP route with a guaranteed value of £17,000 at 4 years old.

Yes, I'm in the same situation so will be keeping the car till the end of the PCP term at this rate !! I guess we'll have to make sure mileage is within the PCP agreed limit, all servicing is done on time and the car is kept in good condition 👍

Yes, I'm in the same situation so will be keeping the car till the end of the PCP term at this rate !! I guess we'll have to make sure mileage is within the PCP agreed limit, all servicing is done on time and the car is kept in good condition 👍
Exactly, no point in doing anything else at the moment. In my view, its down to the media with the tripe they protray - batteries dead at 8 years and cost £20k plus to replace, hours added to a journey to recharge etc, cost of electricity at rapids and so on.

On the flip side of course, there must be a lot of cheap, nearly new cars on the market.

Edit...this is for a 73 plate Xpower.

I just looked on WBAC (even though mine is salary sacrifice). Just under 4k miles and they said £20,275 - ouch! Not looking good for Tusker in 26 months. Maybe I'll get a good offer to buy it. Very poor offer on the previous lease. I could buy the Audi E-tron 50 for £29,205 in May 23. The actual car is on Auto Trader still after 3 months at £22,490. I had a lucky escape there!

Last edited:
At the end of our 4 year PCP I will get some valuations and offer that to MG to keep the car rather than their guaranteed price, dunno if theyll accept that but one sure way to find out :D

Even if there is sizeable depreciation, in 7-10 years new EV prices will probably be a lot lower anyway. There will also be a big industry in upgrading batteries, motors, ECUs etc for existing EVs that are a few years old, it will be different landscape to the ICE world we see today. Batteries in particular will be much cheaper even in 5 years time

Even if there is sizeable depreciation, in 7-10 years new EV prices will probably be a lot lower anyway. There will also be a big industry in upgrading batteries, motors, ECUs etc for existing EVs that are a few years old, it will be different landscape to the ICE world we see today. Batteries in particular will be much cheaper even in 5 years time

That really is it, isn't it. I regard my SE SR as a consumer item that will do what I want it to do, hopefully for a good few years, and as it wasn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, it might not be too much of a hit if I want to change it in the future for something that at present we can hardly imagine.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back