essential extras

vini

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
as I was researching what to buy, and choosing the mg4 trophy, it got me thinking about what my essential extras are. on my Ford Puma it was
heated front screen (that's been my essential for around 20 years)

heated seats
heated steering wheel
reversing camera
adaptive cruise control
all the safety extras
+ maybe something I've forgotten

the trophy has most of these thankfully, I wondered what everyone else has as essential extras?

I think I should be ok without the heated front windscreen now, as I am retired so don't get up early enough to need one :)

Last edited:
So I understand you're looking for personal / subjective essentials?

To me it's "Keyless Everything" (Lock and Start), Automatic Climate Control, Auto Headlamps, Auto Wipers, Adaptive Cruise Control, LED Headlamps, Android Auto, Decent Audio

all of which should (hopefully) be standard. I guess the Wipers aren't confirmed?

Depending on the width of the car, folding mirrors may be essential. I have had 360° Camera for the last 7 years, so I don't want to miss that feature either, and I believe a Heatpump would be good.

I doubt Heated Seats and Steering Wheel are crucial. On my current car, they are, but if you can remotely preheat the whole car, I don't consider them essential.

You are taking acceptable seating position, visibility, performance, ride and handling for granted?

The title of this thread is essential "extras", so - yes, I guess I do.
If the car disappointed in the areas you mentioned, I wouldn't care about it or its extras in the first place.

I've dropped to a SE, coming from years of r-line golfs. Even the SE is better spec'd, you have to start adding options to the VW to get close to the SE spec.

Biggest gripe for me is a spare wheel. I work a lot of night shifts, don't have time to faff with a can and compressor (if tyre is repairable) so the only thing I'll try to buy is a full size wheel to throw in the back during the week.

It's been a while since I had a puncture but stuff only happens when you're least prepared, right?

Add a set of rubber mats, a boot liner and a type 2 cable and I'm good to go. 😁👍

as I was researching what to buy, and choosing the mg4 trophy, it got me thinking about what my essential extras are. on my Ford Puma it was
heated front screen (that's been my essential for around 20 years)

heated seats
heated steering wheel
reversing camera
adaptive cruise control
all the safety extras
+ maybe something I've forgotten

the trophy has most of these thankfully, I wondered what everyone else has as essential extras?

I think I should be ok without the heated front windscreen now, as I am retired so don't get up early enough to need one :)
Would like to try a HUD but seems to have gone out of fashion.👴

Would like to try a HUD but seems to have gone out of fashion.👴
Aftermarket ones exist

81m3NkU38SL._SL1500_.jpg

Aftermarket ones exist

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid this isn't going to work. I've had OBD-HUDs in my last four ICE cars, but they don't get any signal in either of my EVs.

There are also HUDs that show the GPS speed, but I guess it'd bother me too much to deal with the delay and it showing something different to the speedometer.

So I understand you're looking for personal / subjective essentials?

To me it's "Keyless Everything" (Lock and Start), Automatic Climate Control, Auto Headlamps, Auto Wipers, Adaptive Cruise Control, LED Headlamps, Android Auto, Decent Audio

all of which should (hopefully) be standard. I guess the Wipers aren't confirmed?

Depending on the width of the car, folding mirrors may be essential. I have had 360° Camera for the last 7 years, so I don't want to miss that feature either, and I believe a Heatpump would be good.

I doubt Heated Seats and Steering Wheel are crucial. On my current car, they are, but if you can remotely preheat the whole car, I don't consider them essential.
when I said there may be things I had forgotten you have reminded me of quite a few - I totally agree with your list too. thanks

You are taking acceptable seating position, visibility, performance, ride and handling for granted?
for now I am yes, I see those as total necessities rather than essential extras (perhaps I was meaning optional essential extras :) )

can't wait until I am able to sit in one to find out! I've ordered one and put a deposit down, but if anything you've mentioned is not good for me I will have to cancel, I'm hoping not though

Parking sensors, as I've got too used to having them and the thought of having to turn around in the seat to do it properly doesn't appeal anymore.

Electric windows, at least in the front.

Can live without everything else. Use my phone for sat nav and have a Bluetooth speaker in the cup holder to listen to podcasts, so I don't even need a radio anymore! Everything else is a luxury I could live without but would like, especially if spending c£30k

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back