EV charging stations

Susanna

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
In my somewhat limited travels, I have only seen one EV charging station where some of the chargers are actually under cover. Located close to J15 on the M1, Milton Keynes Coachway is a transport hub for National Express as well as local bus services, and offers free parking, an indoor seated waiting area, and café. It’s naturally a busy place, so the additional facilities are well used, and the ongoing costs justified.

Every other public EV charger I have seen is open to the elements. Admittedly, most of them would be at or near a general service station/supermarket/hotel or restaurant, but I don’t think it would be a particularly enjoyable experience trying to plug in and faff about with your cards to initiate the charging process in torrential rain, high winds, sleet or snow. If you are using an app, you would be able to do that from inside the vehicle, of course, but is it unrealistic to expect a more pleasant environment for EV owners in the future?

I have seen ‘artist’s impressions’ of EV stations, featuring a bank of chargers at ground level with meeting areas/cafés/restrooms built above. Does anything like this actually exist yet?

They have the same at Norwich as well and are building more.

Thanks! The facility looks excellent. Hopefully, more like this will be built in years to come.
Its frustratingly less convenient to access than a petrol station. You have to come off the main A road and loop around an industrial estate to get there like a motorway services.

I've driven past multiple times with the intention to stop for a look on the way back, then couldn't be bothered to figure out the way in. A petrol garage on an A road usually has its own slip road in and out and is obviously accessible.

I guess we have to look at these facilities in the same way as a motorway service station. Unlike a 5 minute stop for a petrol/diesel top up at the roadside, the EV charging obviously takes a fair bit longer, so time for a quick cuppa, a bite to eat, a chance to stretch your legs and a ‘comfort break’. Ideal if you are on a long journey.

However, I do realise that these places are also required by local inhabitants who only require speedy charging as they are unable to charge at home. It would be frustrating if they were very difficult to access.

From photos, it appears that Gridserve are using as much solar as possible, so the green credentials are improving all the time.

When my MG ZS eventually arrives I am going to do a long road trip to Hastings from my place in South Wales. It’s 180ish miles. My car is the long range so not worried about getting there but will have to do a big charge away from home.

I’ve only researched charging in my local area. What is the situation like in that area? (Hastings, bottom bit of the M25 are on my route). I saw a big Tesla site on the route but not sure if us minions can use their shiny charging towers.

Actually 180 winter miles at speed with heating etc may leave you arriving with not a lot left. You really don't want to leave it too late to top up, so I'd be looking for somewhere en route (maybe 20 - 30 miles from destination) to top up on the way there and give it a squirt on the way back.

Some of the Tesla sites are open to all but not all, by a long chalk.

You should really use your waiting time (till the car arrives) downloading and familiarising yourself with the major routing and charging apps. I'd start with ZapMap and ABRP.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom