EV Energy Tariff

Well if my figures are correct, and given that Octopus have raised the cheap tariff to 7.5p per kw, I reckon if I use 28 kws on the ev per week it will cost me £99 per year more on Octopus Go!

Just looked at MG1's figures. Mine come out at:
30.78p kw.standard charge.
7.75p kw off peak.
25.08p standing charge per day.
Stuff that, I'm staying where I am!

I don't know what the price cap currently is but my electric went up from 14p/kWh to 21p/kWh when BGas took over from People's Energy, a 50% rise. Now were being told to expect another 50% rise on the price cap in April by the media, so that could mean a 200% increase in 6 months, if what I'm on now is the price cap or more if BGas have currently put me on a deal that is less than the price cap. Very worrying, after April I could be paying more per mile for electric than I was for petrol.
Kithmo
Don't know if you have been made aware but Leeds City Council have opened a park and ride that has a lot of , I think they are 7kw chargers , plus 4 no 50 kw chargers mmmm all free at the moment , fed by lots of solar panels, not too bed up here in West Yorkshire at present

I started a thread on the new octopus rates here.

Here's the breakdown of my YEARLY costs:

Flat Tariff (20.99p/kWH)
Electric Consumption (excl. EV): £1344
EV Electric Consumption (10 hours charge per week): £720
Flat Total: £2621

GO Tariff (30.77p/kWH day and 7.5p/kWH night 4 hours)
Electric Consumption (excl. EV): £1572
EV Electric Consumption (10 hours charge per week): £257.40
GO Total: £2386

So as you can see, it still works out cheaper. The more mileage you do in your EV, the better off you are on the GO tariff but ONLY IF you can charge up within the cheaper hours.

We are on GO but given the current climate will they allow you to change? My Go rate fixed to Sept but I'd be very surprised if any such deal will be a available then.

I started a thread on the new octopus rates here.

Here's the breakdown of my YEARLY costs:

Flat Tariff (20.99p/kWH)
Electric Consumption (excl. EV): £1344
EV Electric Consumption (10 hours charge per week): £720
Flat Total: £2621

GO Tariff (30.77p/kWH day and 7.5p/kWH night 4 hours)
Electric Consumption (excl. EV): £1572
EV Electric Consumption (10 hours charge per week): £257.40
GO Total: £2386

So as you can see, it still works out cheaper. The more mileage you do in your EV, the better off you are on the GO tariff but ONLY IF you can charge up within the cheaper hours.
I was just about to do the same sums. My home charging will be less however, as long as there is free charging nearby 🤞, as I only use home charger to balance a couple of times a month. That said, if free charging goes or the price cap jumps a lot then that will need consideration

Hi Ozzie1989, you're quite right, the more miles you do the more it makes sense to go cheap rate, but based on 98 miles a week I calculated it would cost me £99 pa more. However, that isn't to say that I wouldn't review my decision at a future date.

Octopus are now taking new customers just the rate is higher 7.5pkwh for four hours over night but 30pkwh peak this does vary in different areas. You don't have to move your gas if your current provider is cheaper.

I purchased my car a month ago, my energy supplier went bust and I'm now on the price cap with no EV tariff in sight, but as others mention we should do the math to see if its worth taking on an EV tariff if available. Not a great time to be starting my EV journey me thinks. 🤦‍♀️
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, had the car a month, energy supplier gone bust, on cap rate. I tried contacting Octopus but they explained I can't come straight on to an EV plan I would have to initially join on a fixed rate plan which would be massively higher than the capped rate. Only then they would look at moving me to an EV plan if my smart meter was compatible with the plans. I got the impression she was saying everything she could to scare me of joining them and I don't think that is going to change until the capped rate is higher than the actual cost of energy.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, had the car a month, energy supplier gone bust, on cap rate. I tried contacting Octopus but they explained I can't come straight on to an EV plan I would have to initially join on a fixed rate plan which would be massively higher than the capped rate. Only then they would look at moving me to an EV plan if my smart meter was compatible with the plans. I got the impression she was saying everything she could to scare me of joining them and I don't think that is going to change until the capped rate is higher than the actual cost of energy.
Strange, their website is now allowing you to sign up to Go as long as you have a compatible meter 👍

When we joined we too had to go on different rate (cheaper then in April 2021) as they need to see that your smart meter is providing readings at 30 min intervals reliably

That was the routine when I joined.
They want to see reliable live data from your smart meter before they let you on Go.

If you have a smets 2 smart meter that shouldn't take too long. Took me a month or so once I signed up. Initially my bills have plummeted vs bulb, as the octopus peak rate was around the same as bulbs, whereas that 4 hr off peak has been sweet. Will jump up to the new rates in April unfortunately. :(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom