EV Energy Tariff

You cant get straight on to Go. When i joined I went on the variable tariff first then got moved onto the Go tariff

What link did you use to get straight onto Go?
Apologies I misread it...

When it said "If you have a compatible smart meter already, you're all set. If you don't have a smart meter yet, or you have a different type of smart meter, you can still start the switch to Octopus Go below, but you'll need to stay on one of our standard tariffs while we get you Octopus Go-ready." I assumed you could go straight on.

Further down on the Go page it says you'll join on a standard tariff until they get 30 minute meter readings from you.

My apologies...

Are Smets 2 meters required to track what you are charging during cheaper rate. I'm now with eon next and have noticed they are now offering an ev tariff again however it does mention the cheap rate is only for charging your car not other appliances.

They need half hourly readings from smart meters to see your usage in the cheap tariff slot. How can they tell what is using the power unless you have a very smart EVSE that sends them the kwh it has used.

They need half hourly readings from smart meters to see your usage in the cheap tariff slot. How can they tell what is using the power unless you have a very smart EVSE that sends them the kwh it has used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116_090756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220116_090756_com.android.chrome.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 110
With eon drive it says you have to do everything via the app to get the cheap rate thats how they will know if the car is charging I'm assuming. Other appliances will be charged as normal during this time onky a matter of time before others follow I predict.

I think it will remain a niche tariff on that basis.
There is a strong imperative to shift any and all consumption from peak to off-peak time.

There is a strong imperative to shift any and all consumption from peak to off-peak time.
I think I’m doing that now. I’m on Go Faster with a current rate of 5.5p off peak between 20:30 and 1:30 am. I do all my laundry/dishwashing/drying between these times and all my evening usage is generally on the off peak rate. The only problem I have is gas central heating which is about to double in price from an estimated £360 p.a. My contract is fixed until May, so I’ll get an extra month before before it sky rockets. It’s a shame too, that I work from home, but current stats say I use only about £1.80 in electricity per day, even with an electric kettle an the occasional microwave/desktop oven use. Good job I live alone or I’d be bankrupt!
thinking about getting solar panels and a battery setup but their prices are due to rocket too…just bad timing with the economic consequences of the pandemi.

Looks like companies will in the future cut us off at the pass. Well done whoever is currently winning from being on a half decent tariff.

My tariff with ovo ends the end of February at the moment I pay £150pm 16pkw flat rate and 3pkw gas they emailed me with new offers lol £400pm but £190 if I do nothing so looks like I will stay on that and ride the wave

Come April prices will increase by 50 percent so that £190 will come circa £285! And then October probably another increase. That £400 a month may look cheap soon!!

I am wondering whether we are right in saying it’s not worth moving onto Octopus at 31.31p and 07.50p for normal and off peak charges. Especially if it is fixed until Feb 23. For example I am on Eon flex which is the cap protected rate of 21.81p for all electricity. Everyone seems to be saying the cap rates will go up by 50% in April and possibly again September. But just assuming my rates go up in April by 50% that would put me on 32.71p and I use 3500 kWhrs at home and say 2000 kw hrs charging that would make my annual bill £1799.00.
if I took the Octopus rate now I would be paying 9.5 p more for peak time but would be saving 14.31 p per kw hr off peak for Jan, Feb and March but come April I would actually be making a significant saving. If I use the assumed April uplifted Eon rates and compare them with the fixed Octopus rates and for comparison purpose assume an annual useage I would be paying Octopus annually £1245.00 and therefore saving £554.00. Have I got something wrong with my logic or is the Octopus current deal really not worth switching to.
All of this ignores day rates.

I am wondering whether we are right in saying it’s not worth moving onto Octopus at 31.31p and 07.50p for normal and off peak charges. Especially if it is fixed until Feb 23. For example I am on Eon flex which is the cap protected rate of 21.81p for all electricity. Everyone seems to be saying the cap rates will go up by 50% in April and possibly again September. But just assuming my rates go up in April by 50% that would put me on 32.71p and I use 3500 kWhrs at home and say 2000 kw hrs charging that would make my annual bill £1799.00.
if I took the Octopus rate now I would be paying 9.5 p more for peak time but would be saving 14.31 p per kw hr off peak for Jan, Feb and March but come April I would actually be making a significant saving. If I use the assumed April uplifted Eon rates and compare them with the fixed Octopus rates and for comparison purpose assume an annual useage I would be paying Octopus annually £1245.00 and therefore saving £554.00. Have I got something wrong with my logic or is the Octopus current deal really not worth switching to.
All of this ignores day rates.
It's a gamble but I would agree that the market is indicating the price rises are inevitable at the moment. Your maths would indicate it's worth it 👍

Well, having put my maths brain to sleep for a while and reverted to my common sense mode ( find it very difficult to use both together these days) I realise that when I take gas used into account I would need to pay Octopus £550 a year more than my current supplier after adding the assumed 50% uplift in April😭.
They told me yesterday their gas rate was £0.12 per KW hr. so that obviated my anticipated saving on electricity.
Seems like loose loose again!
So my original hopes at time of car purchase being charging at 1p per mile are actually likely to be 10p per mile ( based my anticipated cost of 32.71p per KW hr and achieving 3.1miles per KW hr), clearly shows that common sense wins hands down over mathematical supposition😂

Also, if you're trying to switch to them for Go then don't bother going on a fixed tarriff. This is listed as their current flexible tarriff on their website:

Screenshot_20220118-073124-865.png

Also note this statement:

For simplicity, we only show our most popular online tariffs during the sign up process, but if you’re interested in switching to any of our current tariffs, drop us an email to [email protected].

All prices include VAT.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom