EV mode keeps dropping out on MG HS PHEV

The initiator of this thread reports another problem. EV mode not supported, while driving. Your observation after overnight is something else which we all observe. It does not bother me very much. I just select it on again. Might it have something to do with charging overnight?
I'll second that, but only a gut feeling, if I've charged somewhere, even if battery was only 50% I think the EV mode gets released. If however I have only parked up, it tends to stay on. My gut feeling is that it's related to charging, but when you think about it, I'm probably also stopped for longer when I've charged. So it could be resetting based on time.

This is my data from last few. It definitely switched off when car is charged but often without any pattern. This is what starting the car.
2A0F29BE-6530-452F-93EF-4C5E56F45C51.jpeg
days

I can confirm mine has been parked 3 or 4 days, with no use, and no charge, and remember ev mode. Sort of ruling out time as the only factor.

Wish I could get my OBD dongle to stop triggering the alarm, then I could monitor this potentially.

Its 6 degrees here today. I thought i'd suffer in the cold to see whats going on.
If i turn off the HVAC altogther EV works perfectly.

It seems once your internal cabin heat/cooling matches HVAC (or is powered off) then this wont interfere with EV mode at all.
There has to be some sort of happy medium though. On these cold mornings it would be good to get some sort of heat without the full AC kicking in. But i guess that will be trial and error

Its 6 degrees here today. I thought i'd suffer in the cold to see whats going on.
If i turn off the HVAC altogther EV works perfectly.

It seems once your internal cabin heat/cooling matches HVAC (or is powered off) then this wont interfere with EV mode at all.
There has to be some sort of happy medium though. On these cold mornings it would be good to get some sort of heat without the full AC kicking in. But i guess that will be trial and error
You could always put the heated seats on , so you don't have to suffer the cold

I'll second that, but only a gut feeling, if I've charged somewhere, even if battery was only 50% I think the EV mode gets released. If however I have only parked up, it tends to stay on. My gut feeling is that it's related to charging, but when you think about it, I'm probably also stopped for longer when I've charged. So it could be resetting based on time.
I think its down to charging.
Wednesday night I charged it ,Thursday morning had to select EV mode, but after that it kept EV mode for all my short journeys, Friday still kept EV mode all day.
Friday night charged , Saturday had to select EV mode again first thing, but kept EV mode rest of day.
Monday night did a short charge of 2 hours , today had to select EV mode.
Today went to Tesco's shopping so plugged in free podpoint , and when I stated the car , had to select EV mode again.

I think its down to charging.
Wednesday night I charged it ,Thursday morning had to select EV mode, but after that it kept EV mode for all my short journeys, Friday still kept EV mode all day.
Friday night charged , Saturday had to select EV mode again first thing, but kept EV mode rest of day.
Monday night did a short charge of 2 hours , today had to select EV mode.
Today went to Tesco's shopping so plugged in free podpoint , and when I stated the car , had to select EV mode again.
Let me start a new thread here before mod gets ticked off

I've also done some time related tests, i.e. I've used the leaf for a few days, and the HS, hasn't been used for a couple of days, done a short run for milk, left for couple of days etc. never dropped out of EV mode. Then charged for 20mins, basically because I could. Dropped out of EV mode. I don't think time it's time related, but hardly a conclusive test.

Hi Guys,

Wow its so great to see that I'm not the only one who's suffering this issue.

In my Mg hs phev the car NEVER start on EV mode no matter what was before, i tried everything and nothing helped.My county weather is around 24 degrees so it's not related to that, and I tried several times with AC off as well.

Ive talked with 6-7 people from my county and for all of them the car always remember the last mode, so if they turn the car off in EV mode it will start again in EV mode, 3 of them got the car in the same day i did.

I was on MG service center in my country and they dont know how to Fix it, they checked with their pc and didn't find any setting for that or update version, they said that they will check with manufacturer in China but im not sure they will really do it.

It's really strange that some of the car beahive different then the other, i guess its kind of setting in the engine pc or damage sensor. Hope all of us will be able to get the answer.

Hi Guys,

In my Mg hs phev the car NEVER start on EV mode no matter what was before, i tried everything and nothing helped.My county weather is around 24 degrees so it's not related to that, and I tried several times with AC off as well.

Ive talked with 6-7 people from my county and for all of them the car always remember the last mode, so if they turn the car off in EV mode it will start again in EV mode, 3 of them got the car in the same day i did.

I was on MG service center in my country and they dont know how to Fix it, they checked with their pc and didn't find any setting for that or update version, they said that they will check with manufacturer in China but im not sure they will really do it.

It's really strange that some of the car beahive different then the other, i guess its kind of setting in the engine pc or damage sensor. Hope all of us will be able to get the answer.
I think we might have discussed this issue on Facebook group?? I have started a new thread specifically for car not in EV mode when starting

Hi Guys,

I’ve owned this hs for three months now and there’s no rhyme nor reason for ev mode dropping out! I do exactly the same run every day, 11 miles each way, sometimes I’m lucky and get 5 or 6 miles in ev and other days I get 2 miles! The car has never started in ev mode in the morning first thing. The engine always starts up? The EV button is simply a request for ev mode and more often than not “the computer says No” On longer journeys it’s better, I think once the engine is hot it’s more inclined to let you. After 3 months of ownership my average fuel consumption is: 53mpg! 100+ to the gallon is bull sh**.

First, the car randomly loses the last EV status after switching of the car.

Second, the car has no heat pump.
So when the interior temperature is colder than the out site temperature and you switch on the heating EV is not available until the car is warmed up. You can force EV bij lowering the inside temperature or even turn it off.

Last edited:
I’ve owned this hs for three months now and there’s no rhyme nor reason for ev mode dropping out! I do exactly the same run every day, 11 miles each way, sometimes I’m lucky and get 5 or 6 miles in ev and other days I get 2 miles! The car has never started in ev mode in the morning first thing. The engine always starts up? The EV button is simply a request for ev mode and more often than not “the computer says No” On longer journeys it’s better, I think once the engine is hot it’s more inclined to let you. After 3 months of ownership my average fuel consumption is: 53mpg! 100+ to the gallon is bull sh**.
That sounds odd.
Unless my heater is on ( it does not default to off when you turn the engine off , so if it was on when you turned the car off it will come on when you start the car) then when i start my car the ICE never starts.
I normally check the EV button, and if its not on , click it on before i drive, or if i forget to look at the ev button, the ICE only kicks in at 25MPH , so then i know to click the EV mode , and continue in EV mode.
The only things i know that will cause the ICE to start ( and stop the EV mode ) is if the heater is on or the clear screen button is on ( obviously if there is no battery then this will also do it LOL ) .
In the summer i also drove in EV mode with the air con on , so the air con did not make it go into ICE mode.
Taken from the manual
Only when the following conditions are met can the driver
make a forced selection of “EV” mode for pure electric
driving through EV switch:
• High-voltage battery power is sufficient;
• A/C system has no heating function request;
• The bonnet is fully closed;
• The hybrid system has no stored faults or codes related
to EV (pure electric) mode;
• The vehicle speed is not higher than the maximum speed
limit allowed in the pure electric mode.

Just looking at this list the bonnet one is strange , i would never have thought of that one lol.
I hope this helps

I’ve tried with everything turned off, battery 100% charged, same. I got 500yrds before the engine fires up. (On choke). It seems as though, until the engine is fully warmed up EV mode is not supported. On an 11mile journey in December, your lucky to get half in EV.

Well that definately is not right. It sounds like you have an issue and it needs looking at so that's a trip to the dealership I'm afraid.
Here is a wierd thought ( more like out from left field lol ) if you have checked the obvious. Open the bonnet and check the catch, as I was surprised this is 1 thing in the list that would stop EV mode. Perhaps it's sticking a little or the wire connection is a bit iffy so after the engine runs for a bit, it warms up , and fixes itself, hence you can use EV .

Mine always starts in hydrid mode so I took the habit to manually turn the EV mode on when I start.
Even a small stop for few minutes tends to switch off the EV mode.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom