EV mode keeps dropping out on MG HS PHEV

has anyone found a way to set EV mode as default? I try to remember to set it to EV, but when I make a short trip, sometimes it jumps to Auto. I have to notice the change in order to reset to EV.

This is an irritating issue. Can we not get an MG solution? It’s spoiling a good car
Hi I agree, very irritating and annoyingly expensive as well.

I always make sure that the heater is down at 16C. That seems to work, except when starting on these colder days. I am usually able to switch it over to electric after about 1km.
It is a real pain in the butt that you must keep the heater off to run on just electric, but you can use the seat warmers.

Actually, to be honest, here in Norway during the winter, this system is just useless. This will be my first and last hybrid. Otherwise there are a lot of positives about MG , But fossil fuel cars are going the way of the dinosaur.

Good luck

Last edited:
1. I live in a warm climate. I have never used heat mode. There’s no pattern that I can detect why it turns off EV in the middle of a drive while the charge is still 80% full.
2. The EV seems to shut off whenever the car is charged, so I made a sign that I hung on the screen to remind me to switch to EV, then flip it over once EV is on.
3. EV may go off during the day when restarting the car - again no pattern I can discern.

@Matty regarding 1, I have replicated this issue multiple times. If you are down downhill for a while the car exits EV mode. My initial guess was something to do with increase of speed while going downhill causing it to exit but since then I have managed reproduce it while actively braking through out downhill part and the car still exiting.

The slop of downhill path didn't make a significant different too. My current theory is that there is a max regen value and if that is breached, the car exits. Once it exits, it takes a few tries to get it back in EV mode

what i do most of the time now is driving for a few km heating the temperture at 24 degrees so the car is very warm, then turn it down to 1 and set it to 16 degrees....on the window and feet....and then you have no problem putting it in ev mode....i also tuns on the heating seats so it is good to drive in cold weather...so most of the time i drive about 3-4 km and then i drive 60 km in ev mode.
keep experimenting with this and you see that it is possible....i also tried the windsceen blow mode and put it to 1, it also works sometimes. or just put the blower on 1 in cold mode

I keep forgetting to check the mode when I leave the house in the morning, so I set myself a reminder, attached, which I flip up once I start to drive.

Attachments

• 1CFD0028-5A4E-486A-A56A-F7191BB2E970.jpeg
    1CFD0028-5A4E-486A-A56A-F7191BB2E970.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 105
My expectation is that EV would be default. Sounds just begin to drive. I’m learning that it’s not. And now I flip my reminder card!

My ehs is behaving similarily. I leave on a hill and whenever i go to work it goes out of ev about midhill and refuses to return to ev for another 2 miles. It also used to start only in auto but this was fixed after update of software. Itried the the fan advise but no help. When it is not fully cgarged it retuns to ev faster.

We’ve just had a remap done in the hope that some of these problems would be fixed. They haven’t and it ruins the ownership experience for us because we purchased the car to reduce our running costs.
We live at the top of a steep hill and can trick the car into staying in EV by crawling down under heavy brakes. We also turn off the heater but if for any reason the “ I know better “ ECU kicks in the engine, it simply refuses to go back into EV.
Our daughter and son in law have a 2022 Skoda Superb IV that allows absolute control of running mode and as a consequence they get much better mileage than we do.
SAIC Motor owns 37% of VAG. We as owners, should demand that SAIC/MG sort this problem out pronto. As is stands, we are driving PHPart-timeEVs that don’t live up to their fuel mileage claims- at least ours doesn’t…

We’ve just had a remap done in the hope that some of these problems would be fixed. They haven’t and it ruins the ownership experience for us because we purchased the car to reduce our running costs.
We live at the top of a steep hill and can trick the car into staying in EV by crawling down under heavy brakes. We also turn off the heater but if for any reason the “ I know better “ ECU kicks in the engine, it simply refuses to go back into EV.
Our daughter and son in law have a 2022 Skoda Superb IV that allows absolute control of running mode and as a consequence they get much better mileage than we do.
SAIC Motor owns 37% of VAG. We as owners, should demand that SAIC/MG sort this problem out pronto. As is stands, we are driving PHPart-timeEVs that don’t live up to their fuel mileage claims- at least ours doesn’t…
You are 100% correct with with regards to way how the HS PHEW operates and differs from the VAG PHEV system.
A relative placed an order for a new MG HS PHEV first hoping / wishing it operated in the same manner as a VW Golf PHEV GTE that I once owned for four years.
I deceived to do some further research and the more I looked, it became more and more evident the system in the HS was a long way short of the much better engineered system in the Golf.
He / like myself intended to put his toe in the water, with the intention of making the first step into electric driving and hopefully save on his running costs.
He is an average middle of the road family type user, not low mileage but not high mileage either.
After a fair bit of “Man Math’s” it soon became difficult to justify the extra cost of owning the PHEV over the cost savings in return.
The engine in the HS is not the most economical unit anyway, and falls short of the units found in the VAG units.
The PHEV system VAG cars, offers the driver total control of the EV propulsion side of the car, it will allow total EV driving upto 80MPH if you have the range and full control of the heating system.
No cutting in of the engine unless the driver commands it or maximum power is demanded and it will then kick in the engine of course !.
If you have remaining EV range, it will allow the driver to switch the engine back off again.
If the HS had the same system as the VAG it would be a much more economical and would make a better driving experience.
The DSG gearbox on the VAG is a slippy as a silk scarf, no holding onto gears either.
Needless to say, the order for the HS was cancelled 😞.

Last edited:
MG are you taking notice? You are losing market share and damaging your reputation because of illogical computer logic! A remap is required starting like 2 years ago!!

I don't think MG are listening or really care. The software in the HS PHEV should be an embarrassment to MG!! Anyone who knows anything about software implementation and testing cannot believe that MG has sold vehicles with software in the state that it is in. I love the concept of the car and it is great to drive (when it is behaving itself) but had I known about the software issues I would have seriously re-considered my decision to buy.

The loss of power caused by the delay in gear change at c50 mph is really dangerous and I’m amazed that there haven’t been reports of any accidents, and that it hasn’t been the subject of a manufacturers recall.
I was caught out twice when overtaking when I first had my HS PHEV.
A frightening experience

I nearly had a accident a couple of times when merging into the traffic on motorway from slip road. Accelerating down the slip road merging into moving traffic and suddenly have a lack of any response from accelerator. Dangerous and scary when your not expecting it and not knowing why it is happening.

I live just over a mile from my workplace and I have found that on my journey, the car gets to around 0.75 miles then drops out of EV mode and when I try to put it back, I get the message 'EV mode not supported'. I haven't got lights/AC/heater on, but still it happens!

Same for us - very aggravating and unnecessarily increases fuel use. We purchased the car to reduce our running costs and it has, but not as much as it could have.
MG are you taking note and going to do something about this? A detailed reply to this message board would be appreciated ASAP.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom