EV Repairs

EMGEEFIVER

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All, Don't know if anyone else has had issue with getting Accident repairs carried out on their EV. I had my accident on Wednesday last week and it took till the following Tuesday for a repair company to accept the job, after 4 other repairers turned the job down. I couldn't get a courtesy car till a repairer accepted the task and after the acceptance, I'm told it will be 23 days minimum to repair, if they can get the parts . Have to say however the MG5 held its own against the front end of a '60 plate Vauxhall Corsa, can't see that getting fixed at all.

Hi All, Don't know if anyone else has had issue with getting Accident repairs carried out on their EV. I had my accident on Wednesday last week and it took till the following Tuesday for a repair company to accept the job, after 4 other repairers turned the job down. I couldn't get a courtesy car till a repairer accepted the task and after the acceptance, I'm told it will be 23 days minimum to repair, if they can get the parts . Have to say however the MG5 held its own against the front end of a '60 plate Vauxhall Corsa, can't see that getting fixed at all.
Our MG car developed a fault and we had to call the AA out. Once the AA diagnosed the issue, we then contacted the recommended garage and they were really nice, but the earliest they could book us in was in 10 days time. I've since phoned a few other dealerships, and 10 days waiting time was give or take about the same. Seems January has been busy for garages. We are fortunate that the parts we are needing are common parts so are usually in stock.

I would have just called MG assist. Apparently they make sure it gets repaired at an MG approved repairer, with MG parts and sort it all out with you insurance company.

Looks like getting an insurance policy with 30 day hire car included is best. Noted 🤨

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you looking for a repairer yourself or was this the insurance company having difficulty?

Re: Kithmo; I would have loved to use the MG assist but unfortunately the Police insisted on clearing the remains of both cars themselves.
Re; Flashing Blade; car leased on a Salary Sacrifice, so classed as a Company Car and is on leasing company's insurance. Policy dictates courtesy car when accepted by garage.
Re: Alb; Insurance company took on the task.

Well it's been weeks and the repair company are still "waiting for the parts" they estimate they may have the car fixed by the 6th March (no year actually specified). Do MG not store any body panels and suspension in the UK!!

If it makes you feel better your not alone.
I've been waiting months for a new engine for one of my vans. I wouldn't mind but it was only just put back on the road after another minor collision took it off the road for three months. Before that a mirror was torn off before that a hole in the intercooler and before that an altanator.
IV just added up the time it's been off the road and it comes to just over 8 months.

Well it's been weeks and the repair company are still "waiting for the parts" they estimate they may have the car fixed by the 6th March (no year actually specified). Do MG not store any body panels and suspension in the UK!!
MG have obviously convinced the insurance fraternity that they have a repair parts capability otherwise insurance costs would be sky high. I wonder whether this is a big bluff?

Our car took nearly four months to repair, due to parts coming from China.

Well the forcasted repair date of 6 Mar 22 isn't going to happen, Still waiting for an Engine Bay Harness. a Door Seal and an inner wing panel. Obviously they don't start the repair till all parts are in. Come on MG, my joy of EV ownership is fading with every tank of the expensive fuel in the hire car!

MG’s U.K. parts supply can be really slow !.
They increased their sales of new cars by 30% in 2021 and have more ambitious targets for 2022.
But the supply of replacement parts has not increased to match this demand.
It’s needs addressing as a point of urgency.

Last edited:
MG’s U.K. parts supply can be really slow !.
They increased their sales of new cars by 30% in 2021 and have more ambitious targets for 2022.
But the supply of replacement parts has not increased to match this demand.
It’s needs addressing as a point of urgency.
They should give the robots a few hours off and put all the parts for the cars they were going to build into containers and send them air freight over to a central parts store for distribution.

They should give the robots a few hours off and put all the parts for the cars they were going to build into containers and send them air freight over to a central parts store for distribution.
That is a damn fine idea. If they can't finish cars because of a chip shortage then they should start to fill up a spares warehouse in UK and EU, rather than build new ones.

And so another month has passed and still waiting for parts. Won't be too long before the cost of the courtesy (hire) car will reach the write off cost. Not what I want as I would then have to wait another 6-9 months for a replacement. Sorry MG but if it did happen I would seriously think of a different manufacturer, having spares is a basic requirement.

To be fair to MG I'm not convinced it is exclusive to MG. I have a colleague, who's Peugeot has been off the road for a couple of months, waiting on parts for his engine. Whether MG are better or worse than others I'm not sure.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom