EV Watchdog for MG EV

OK,
I managed to get some logs from Johan's car (thank you for that Johan) and in fact there seems to exists two different VIN numbers.

European models start with SDPW...

And others with LSJW...

Which I believe is bound to the assembly factory (the S usually means Germany/Europe, while L usually means China/Asia).

More about WMI

First thing the App will do is retrieve the VIN number and try to identify the model/version.
At this time it is prepared to work only with the SPDW, which was the logs I had when I added the support.

I just confirmed with Johan's logs that the LSJW has the same OBD2 interface has the SPDW so I'll releasing a new version soon which should support both VINs.
Hi, any news on the release supporting ZS EV with VIN LSJW...?
With more and more Non-UK ZS EVs there will be great interest for this.

Cheers, Christian

I was tracking the free version, it still shows version 1.7.2121jul22 here, LSJW VIN's dont work for that one. I've since joined the OVMS camp as I was able to get my hands on one really for only €50

I was tracking the free version, it still shows v1.7.2121jul22 here, LSJW VIN's dont work for that one. I've since joined the OVMS camp as I was able to get my hands on one really for only €50
OVMS sounds like a fine thing, but I won't be spending that much money to get a function that an ev normally should have from the factory and that is showing the SoC.

I was tracking the free version, it still shows version 1.7.2121jul22 here, LSJW VIN's dont work for that one. I've since joined the OVMS camp as I was able to get my hands on one really for only €50
Hi. I've been in contact with Watchdog (Daniel). He apparently thought it already worked with his app and the EU MG vin starting with LSJW.

So after my question about that, he immediately updated the app on Google Play yesterday.
After updating and testing the app on my phone, I can confirm it now works with the LSJW vin numbers!

Edit: It seems that the LSJW vin number of my car is the Asian model.
Fhatthewuck? Just checked it, but I really still live in Dordrecht, which is in the Netherlands, wich is in Europe, which is on the northern hemisphere of the Earth. Anywho, it works!
But this might explain al lot of problems people have with OVMS?

Last edited:
Happy to announce release v1.8 (Free and Premium) is now available throught Google's playstore.

You can find the differences between both versions and download links in the following page:

Took sometime to publish, modifying the App to support the new Android scoped storage (Android 10+) was quite an effort. But it's working now :)

Biggest changes for MG ZS EV owners:

• It now supports the LSJ* VIN models (thank you to Johan for providing some logs of his car).
  • Battery map was changed. Previously it was showing individual cells id's but the MG does not report individual voltages it's rather min and max for each module (9 in total). So the App will now show modules id's instead of cell's id's. And what you will see for each group of cells (by module) is the voltage from minimum to maximum gradually increasing.

And here's the list of complete changes.

Free:
  • Added support for MG ZS EV Asian model
  • Added support for Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Added actual battery condition card
  • Added scoped file storage support for Android 10 and above
  • Improved the battery size recognition for Hyundai Kona/KIA eNiro
  • Improved consumed/regenerated counters (uses now effective loss/gain)
  • Fixed battery map for Ioniq 38kWh
  • Fixed battery map for MG ZV ES
  • Fixed consumption in trip details
  • Several other minor fixes and improvements

Premium:
  • Added Aux Battery 12V chart
  • Minor changes to Main Screen layout (to support Ioniq 5)
  • Fixed TripLog files
  • Fixed Charts not resetting
  • Fixed battery live data

FB Group: Facebook Groups
FAQ: EV Watchdog Android monitoring App

Happy to announce release v1.8 (Free and Premium) is now available throught Google's playstore.

You can find the differences between both versions and download links in the following page:

Took sometime to publish, modifying the App to support the new Android scoped storage (Android 10+) was quite an effort. But it's working now :)

Biggest changes for MG ZS EV owners:

• It now supports the LSJ* VIN models (thank you to Johan for providing some logs of his car).
  • Battery map was changed. Previously it was showing individual cells id's but the MG does not report individual voltages it's rather min and max for each module (9 in total). So the App will now show modules id's instead of cell's id's. And what you will see for each group of cells (by module) is the voltage from minimum to maximum gradually increasing.

And here's the list of complete changes.

Free:
  • Added support for MG ZS EV Asian model
  • Added support for Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Added actual battery condition card
  • Added scoped file storage support for Android 10 and above
  • Improved the battery size recognition for Hyundai Kona/KIA eNiro
  • Improved consumed/regenerated counters (uses now effective loss/gain)
  • Fixed battery map for Ioniq 38kWh
  • Fixed battery map for MG ZV ES
  • Fixed consumption in trip details

Premium:
  • Added Aux Battery 12V chart
  • Minor changes to Main Screen layout (to support Ioniq 5)
  • Fixed TripLog files
  • Fixed Charts not resetting
  • Fixed battery live data

FB Group: Facebook Groups
FAQ: EV Watchdog Android monitoring App
Hello @Watchdog

Using Premium/Paid version of the App, but it shows a different layout, it doesn't show graphics it shows only numbers and letters.

Is it possible to add graphics to the App? Taken from post #18, this is a better layout:

dog_net_52.jpg

EDIT: Solved, in Settings I enabled Widgets, now the App shows graphics.

Last edited:
Great you find the option yourself, there's a lot of things you can change from the Settings menu.

If you are into FB check the dedicated group I'm always there you can post any questions.

Just added a new feature on the website (for Premium users).
The Trip Mapper (that's the loupe icon on the navigation box on the right).
You'll need a TripLog... file produced by enabling the Data Logging option of the App (files are save under the Download\EVWatchdog\trips folder).
Just upload the file and see the magic!

Important: it should be a TripLog... file generated by the latest version (v1.8) of the App.

Ecoregion Green Product Rectangle Map

Good looking app, I haven't used it yet but once I get the OBD I'll give, at least the free version a go. One question how does it deal with 2 drivers sharing the car? obviously, sometimes one phone is in the car, sometimes the other phone in the car and half the time both phones are in the car. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

Good looking app, I haven't used it yet but once I get the OBD I'll give, at least the free version a go. One question how does it deal with 2 drivers sharing the car? obviously, sometimes one phone is in the car, sometimes the other phone in the car and half the time both phones are in the car. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

Thanks.
On the free version (which does not communicate with the webserver) you'll get one database for each Android device, so separate data.
For the premium version you'll have the option to send data to the webserver. From there all data is grouped by VIN number so you'll be able to see all records for your VIN under the same account regardless of the device where it has originated... Also data is not synced back to the device(s) it's a one way only flow.

Thanks.
On the free version (which does not communicate with the webserver) you'll get one database for each Android device, so separate data.
For the premium version you'll have the option to send data to the webserver. From there all data is grouped by VIN number so you'll be able to see all records for your VIN under the same account regardless of the device where it has originated... Also data is not synced back to the device(s) it's a one way only flow.
I remember seeing mention of this previously, but is this functional (in any way) with the MG5?

Just got this app working, really impressed. Special thanks to Daniel at EV Watchdog for his kind and fast help, my bad entirely for using the wrong OBD adapter.

Tried to reach out to Daniel over fakebook to no avail. I've been using the watchdog for years on my PHEV.
Offered data on the MG5 but obv doesn't want it.

Sorry but the data is not very useful if you don't know how to map it.
The MG ZS is very well documented in terms of PIDs which is not the case of the MG 5 not having any model of my own I rely on the efforts of the community.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom