Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Why do ex MG4 owners repeatedly feel the need to make sure that no-one forgets their bad experience repeatedly on every thread.
I know you had problems with the car, your dealer and MG, and understand the upset and frustration you went through, but your attitude is now wearing a little thin. Believe it or not the rest of us aren't to blame for your misfortune and don't appreciate being told that in your mind we have made the wrong decision. It's our choice.
I like constructive criticism but continual bashing of a product on a forum that's supposed to support owners and potential owners is unnecessary.

I agree and I am guilty of it! I need to stop coming here and commenting.

The bad experience I had cut a little bit too deep for my liking (climbing out of the back of a brand new car with the horn blaring was simply not good enough!) but I should stop trying to persuade others that it's not a good car. Apologies.

People sincerely sympathise with you and Bowfer and others who had similar experiences. But you are simply not describing the cars we are driving. You had dud cars and that should not have happened and given that it did you should have been better treated than you were. No arguments.

It also seems that the dud cars were overwhelmingly in the first batch(es) of deliveries. Those built in 2023 seem to be by and large fine apart from the sort of software niggles we can all live with or work around. Have there been proportionally more dud MG4s than other similar cars? Who knows.

It's genuinely useful to know that these problems happened. It makes it easier for anyone who develops similar issues in the future to go to their dealer armed with facts. But the dud cars being lambasted are not the MG4s we are enjoying driving every day, and it doesn't help to carry on as if every car is a dud and we are mugs for buying a dud car.

I suppose we all draw from our experience, so some of us are likely to be too positive about our cars just because nothing bad has happened and that isn't totally representative either.

I can understand wanting to warn people about potential issues.

However, there is a component of self-justification in all of us: because we bought an MG4, it has to be great, because they got rid of it, their new car has to be much better.

Going back to our survey 86% of the 125 owners responding said they love their MG4 and another 10% say they will live with it. That's not bad at all.

I have been reading Bowfer's thread about the power loss in his car. It sounds like a total nightmare and if I'd had that experience I don't know what I'd have done, probably had a nervous breakdown or something. But the fact is that my car, which I think is identical to Bowfer's, goes like a bat out of hell. It does not have an oil leak or a saggy undertray, and it has never tried to lock me in. Once it has been firmly told to put the LKA and the speed limit recognition system away, and has been provided with the music I want to listen to in a form it's prepared to read (on a USB C stick), it behaves in an extremely civilised manner.

It's quite simply not the same car.

To be honest, I deleted my account after sending back my car and I only returned here because I got an email or txt telling me that the MG was showing a brake fault. I rejoined, thinking I should try to find the new owner, but realised that was not going to happen.

I guess I just like to have a little dig at the car because my experience was dreadful. The car I traded in for the MG4 was sold instantly, so in my mind it was lose-lose (the dealer made money and I lost money through no fault of my own). I had to find more money to replace the car with yet another new one!

I freely admit the car drove nicely, but the quality was my concern. Oil on my new driveway, locked in, poor fitting under tray and very poor quality seat fabric.

Again, I am sorry to be on such a downer here, but I shall stop commenting now!

I can totally sympathise. If I had to get rid of the MG4 at this stage it would be a very serious financial blow. I cross my fingers and pray to all the gods of motoring that this won't happen. I'd probably end up in a fifth-hand Reliant Robin.

I don't think you (or Bowfer) should stop commenting. Just maybe not telling new owners that their starry-eyed account of their experience is boring, or that the car is actually crap and worthless.

Why do ex MG4 owners repeatedly feel the need to make sure that no-one forgets their bad experience repeatedly on every thread.

This is not really the case though is it? Personally I see many different viewpoints and feel the vast majority are valid to express. I might agree, I might not.

However, there is a component of self-justification in all of us: because we bought an MG4, it has to be great, because they got rid of it, their new car has to be much better.

I think you perfectly and concisely summarise the dynamic here @tsedge 👍

I agree and I am guilty of it! I need to stop coming here and commenting.

The bad experience I had cut a little bit too deep for my liking (climbing out of the back of a brand new car with the horn blaring was simply not good enough!) but I should stop trying to persuade others that it's not a good car. Apologies.
The one you had was not a good car 😀

I know you had problems with the car, your dealer and MG, and understand the upset and frustration you went through, but your attitude is now wearing a little thin. Believe it or not the rest of us aren't to blame for your misfortune and don't appreciate being told that in your mind we have made the wrong decision. It's our choice.
I like constructive criticism but continual bashing of a product on a forum that's supposed to support owners and potential owners is unnecessary.
Completely agree with Ian. The fact that his original post had so many likes shows that others do too.

Spot on @Ian Key ....I also feel that whilst discussing additional functions and enhancements some would like to see has a degree of value, there is little point as there is no productive outcome. By that I mean no mechanism to feedback a collective agreement amongst owners into MG for their consideration.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 486 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back