Extended Range Trophy

I'm torn between simply treating the car like my phone and plugging it in whenever I get the chance, and worrying that leaving it sitting for days at 100% isn't the best way to treat the battery no matter what MG says. I think it's this dilemma that surfaces as "range anxiety".
The deterioration at 100% is significantly less with LFP, so they are mostly right, and the lifespan of the LFP battery should be so long that you won't see any practical problems.

Charge back to 100% after every trip and people say it degrades the battery.
Do all the charging on the granny and people give me grief that I shouldn't do that.
Wait till the car is down below 30% and give it a session on the rapid charger instead (the cost is about the same) and other people start saying that rapid chargers are bad for the car.

You can't bloody win.

The updates to the MG4 model range are coming quite quick. Especially when many of us may have not long received our orders from when the first version of it was released last year. Usually expect these types of updates to come at a mid year cycle of a model's life span. I think they are good updates to a point though and if I had not received my LR trophy recently, perhaps I may have opted for the extended range model - as new buyers might too.

As it stands for me though and when looking at what I do have, I don't see a huge need to have the ER now. In the real world the range differences may not be that significant (there's not a huge difference in the stats provided between batteries really). We know what we are generally getting with EVs compared to ICE vehicles and the 250 + - that the Trophy LR can claim to do (and which I have often found) is still more than good enough in my view.

I hope that MG aren't just in the market to put out as many different models/variants to continuously attract the new buyer with little regard for the existing one. You could arguably look at that in different ways though - maybe it's a good thing! 🤔

Anyone know how long the wait for ER is? Currently waiting for a LR thats estimated end of september, but if its similar wait the ER is definately more beneficial to me

Anyone know how long the wait for ER is? Currently waiting for a LR thats estimated end of september, but if its similar wait the ER is definately more beneficial to me
IIRC, the new models (ER & Xpower) "launch" at Goodwood this weekend.
I expect deliveries will begin in September, as they did for the SE & Trophy last year.

Charge back to 100% after every trip and people say it degrades the battery.
Do all the charging on the granny and people give me grief that I shouldn't do that.
Wait till the car is down below 30% and give it a session on the rapid charger instead (the cost is about the same) and other people start saying that rapid chargers are bad for the car.

You can't bloody win.
Lol, i'm with you there. IMHO, and i'm no battery expert, but i'd say play it safe to try and remove the anxiety. i.e don't leave it standing for days below 20% or above 90% for your LFP. Charging to 100% occasionally then using shortly afterwards would be good too... again... just my non expert view. :)

My battery has a 'heath' setting of between 20% and 80% (NMC), so I tend to stick to that as much as I can, long trips aside

I would doubt it. I think there is a sizeable market for people who seldom do more than say 150 miles in a single day, and who will get home happily in an SR and charge it for tomorrow. If you only do a longer trip two or three times a year, and you're not in a hurry on these trips, it's hard to justify an extra £2,500 for a car. Also, the SR is an easier battery to manage, and not having cobalt in it is another plus if that's the sort of thing you're concerned about.
Also to be factored in is the different battery chemistry between the SR & the LR. My understanding is that if you regularly aim to work the battery hard (ignoring the 20%-80% optimum for battery SH) then the SR is better suited……..
IMG_3693_Original.jpeg

I'm waiting on the 64kWh Trophy in Dynamic Red and judging by your avatar, it looks like we've both gone for that colour due to our club support :) Looking forward to my 1st road trip in it and a game at Anfield.
I was one of the first to get hold of the MG4 Trophy in Red last year and I am not disappointed, a great car to drive, great colour too.

Attachments

• C26EB1B1-50EA-41CB-91C8-66F746E3E4D7.jpeg
    C26EB1B1-50EA-41CB-91C8-66F746E3E4D7.jpeg
    786.8 KB · Views: 86
  • B2DF7E0A-3F74-428C-A1E2-8AA62443B9EA.jpeg
    B2DF7E0A-3F74-428C-A1E2-8AA62443B9EA.jpeg
    932.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 008F5AF7-65FD-43F8-9FB5-0073D4BD79A5.jpeg
    008F5AF7-65FD-43F8-9FB5-0073D4BD79A5.jpeg
    673.1 KB · Views: 78
  • AD80E38D-68E0-4CDB-8510-DBA65F2BF97D.jpeg
    AD80E38D-68E0-4CDB-8510-DBA65F2BF97D.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 93
I was advised that my ER delivery is 12 - 16 weeks, deposit paid and ordered 2 weeks ago, the dealer is "hopeful" for a September as part of the initial batch otherwise it will be Oct / Nov - September Please

MG Falkirk selling extended range on a great deal.
£34509 on affinity deal, so no extra for any paint options

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728-185347.png
    Screenshot_20230728-185347.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20230728-193223.png
    Screenshot_20230728-193223.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 83
I'm waiting on the 64kWh Trophy in Dynamic Red and judging by your avatar, it looks like we've both gone for that colour due to our club support :) Looking forward to my 1st road trip in it and a game at Anfield
I'm waiting on the 64kWh Trophy in Dynamic Red and judging by your avatar, it looks like we've both gone for that colour due to our club support :) Looking forward to my 1st road trip in it and a game at Anfield.
My red ER will have my private XX XX LFC , Lucky man (y)

This is better service from MG than we had with wifes car, they got no information around where car is and it just turned up. My Red ER ordered close to end of June, just been informed due at dock on 19 October, that will be 16 weeks ( but usually 7-14 days before I can get my hands on it).

Now to book the same 1st rate Detailer to do paint repairs and 2 coat Ceramic. like my wife's car.

Hi there, long time lurker on here but just bought a Trophy LR on the affinity program. £3700 for an extra 40 miles of range with the ER which we might use a couple of times a year did not compute when we only required £10k to buy the LR with our trade in (and there was a LR available now in the colour we wanted with a fairly nearby agent). I was a demonstrator vehicle delivery driver for many of the major European marques before retiring which we had to deliver with 70% charge and which we collected with very low charge so range anxiety was a very real thing.
Having a motorhome kinda makes the car a second one if needs be for longer journeys but our main long trips would be to Scotland and I have used numerous chargers on the A1,66 and M74 (BP 50+) so know where the next option is, if busy or broken. Interesting choice if there had been a Trophy SR as the new tech loaded on the Trophy was part of the appeal as was used to these features on the demonstrators which spiral out of control when costed as extras on Europeans cars.
I would imagine that in 10 years we will look back on this thread and wonder why all the fuss as either range for 1000 miles at '70' mph on a frozen night will be mundane and/or faster charging from your own home power bank and/or charging while travelling will only take 10 minutes will have resolved many of these issues.

My wife has the LR which is fine for now which covers the lots of short / medium journeys, we charge at home which is costing 9-10 a week in electricity ( charging to 80%). once we both retire the extra 40-50 miles will mean less stops on our travels. People only see the the 40 miles for the extra £, but dont really look closely the software updates that are on the car and there is no guarantee that the trophy LR will get all of the updates that the ER has.
Personally it all boils down to your own personal needs and preferences.

Yeah, I think there's a market for all the models they're producing. I thought about the SE LR, but decided that an extra £2,500 for another 60 miles of range wasn't worth it, when I'd only use that range two or three times a year. I like the LFP battery too.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back