External Noise Generator

n0de

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
...out of pure curiosity as I've not heard it myself - does the car have an artificial sound that plays under a certain speed?

Short answer no . Personally I think it should have some sort of sound if only for kids the blind .hard of hearing and so on… how many people just step into the road because they don’t hear us coming then slam the brakes on "

Short answer no . Personally I think it should have some sort of sound if only for kids the blind .hard of hearing and so on… how many people just step into the road because they don’t hear us coming then slam the brakes on "
You can't hear it very well inside the ZS but it does, as shown in the video above.
It's in the manual, page 139.
The Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) rules apply to all new cars made from 1 July 2019, and all new electric and hybrid cars registered from July 2021.
The MG5 one is really loud.

I was following a pedestrian in Tesco’s car park yesterday who was walking in the middle of the road. They were completely oblivious to the fact that I was there. I did not want to beep the horn, although I had the windows open I could not hear anything.

In the end they realised that I was there but I think that the noise needs to be louder.

I was following a pedestrian in Tesco’s car park yesterday who was walking in the middle of the road. They were completely oblivious to the fact that I was there. I did not want to beep the horn, although I had the windows open I could not hear anything.

In the end they realised that I was there but I think that the noise needs to be louder.
In a car park, our mind ignores subtle noises like the ones emitted by our car. I think we are looking out for other cars overrunning us when reversing.
They should make it louder.
I can hear the noise quite well from inside the cabin whilst approaching our private drive.

I was following a pedestrian in Tesco’s car park yesterday who was walking in the middle of the road. They were completely oblivious to the fact that I was there.
Maybe they where still in SHOCK after studding their till receipt from there weekly shop, as they crossed the car park and returning to their car !.
Mr Tesco say's :- "Every Little Help's" 🤣.

or want megadeath...

I'll have some of that, without the last "a" though ;) Anyway, back on topic, there is a sound, I can hear mine clearly with the windows down and just creeping along. Admittedly its not too loud, but it's there, as it is in the video that's been posted.

I'll have some of that, without the last "a" though ;) Anyway, back on topic, there is a sound, I can hear mine clearly with the windows down and just creeping along. Admittedly its not too loud, but it's there, as it is in the video that's been posted.
Autocorrect at its finest. 😅

While waiting for my car to be serviced I watched several MG EV come and go including mine.
Definitely has a noise in both forward and reverse.

Whether its enough to alert pedestrians - unlikely if looking at their phone.
Have resorted to the horn a few times now.
I would say most ice vehicles are just as quiet if the engine isn't being revved by a boy racer.

We live in a pedestrianised area and had a lot of problems with people not hearing the car. I have fitted a low level bleeper which is attached to the hazard warning system so if I am behind someone I just turn that on.
It seems odd that MG went to all the trouble of making a special sounder but make it too soft, and not changeable.

I turned mine off permanently, I found it too instrusive in the cabin. There was testing done in the UK that proved modern ICE are so quiet now that cars with an ICE make comparable noise to EV's at low speeds (tyre roar etc)
I've never personally had an issue with people not hearing the car approach.

Neighbour told me he could hear the AVAS, but did not think it would have been loud enough compared to the noise from a car with an ICE. Here in NZ there are rumours that AVAS may become a legal requirement for EV's ..

Crikey, I have never heard it inside the car, and by the way I can approach walkers in the road (holiday people in very quiet country lanes), they can't hear me either. Must look into it..:)

I've had a few people not know I was behind them, but they're usually distracted by the phone/music/kids etc (or were just being completely ignorant). I know it definitely makes a noise because my mate has commented a few times when I've dropped her off at night. Personal thought is that the sound EVs make (when they've not been disabled) is unusual, and not what we've got used to over the years. We know what a "regular" car sounds like. Many of us will have to learn the new sounds... others could do with reading the pedestrian section of the Highway Code 🤬

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom