Failed charging with Pulsar Plus wall box

Starresources

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I charge my HS Hybrid exclusively from a Pulsar Plus wall box (also used for scheduled charging of my wife's Renault Zoe EV with no issues).

Charging is always scheduled at the app to commence at 12.30am to benefit from the Octopus Go off peak tariff. However, sometimes overnight charging fails. I have pinpointed this to the following sequence of events:
  • Plug in the charge cable then lock the car; if the charge cable is locked into place with only one whirring sound then charging will complete, however,
  • If after locking the car the charge port locks with the whirring sound BUT then, within 15 seconds, subsequently unlocks then locks again (also with two further whirring sounds) scheduled charging will fail. In this circumstance I think the charge port may not be properly locked, so the charge cable could be removed.
I now know to wait and check that that additional whirring noises are not heard after locking the car. If they are, I must repeat the events of unlocking the car, removing the charge cable, refitting and relocking - then waiting and listening.

Anyone else suffering this phenomenon? Thanks, Dave

Bang on I have had this with the granny charger and at a charger point. My tip is to hold the plug in the socket taking the weigh of the lead off the plug head until no noise.

Again bang on. I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus too and also on scheduled charge with Octopus Go. Over the last year I have had a couple of failed charge. Again sussed out if the whirring/locking noise did it twice then most likely it won’t charge, I would now unlock car pull out charge plug and re-insert then lock car again.

I've observed what I think is minor oxidisation on the top left contact as you look into the plug - the smaller connections which suggests they're for sensors rather than charging. Keeping that clean, if only by inserting and removing the plug a couple of times, seems to keep it working OK.

I've observed what I think is minor oxidisation on the top left contact as you look into the plug - the smaller connections which suggests they're for sensors rather than charging. Keeping that clean, if only by inserting and removing the plug a couple of times, seems to keep it working OK.
Thx for your response (and all the suggestions). This has caused me to research the pinout connections to the charge socket. As you rightly say (and from Wikipedia) the top two pins are for control signalling:
  • Proximity pilot (PP): pre-insertion signalling
  • Control pilot (CP): post-insertion signalling
Looking closely at the top right pin (CP) is recessed so I'm not surprised that the connection is interment, if that's the cause? Please could other members check to see if this is standard design or a flaw on my car. Pls see the images. Thx.

Attachments

• HSChargeSkt1.jpg
    HSChargeSkt1.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 123
  • HSChargeSkt2.jpg
    HSChargeSkt2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 112
The suggestion from @Jto provides a good workaround: holding the charger plug upwards when locking the car must ensure the lock pin engages first time. Now I never miss a charge sessìon due to failed comms or some other MG anomally!

Thank you.

I charge my HS Hybrid exclusively from a Pulsar Plus wall box (also used for scheduled charging of my wife's Renault Zoe EV with no issues).

Charging is always scheduled at the app to commence at 12.30am to benefit from the Octopus Go off peak tariff. However, sometimes overnight charging fails. I have pinpointed this to the following sequence of events:
  • Plug in the charge cable then lock the car; if the charge cable is locked into place with only one whirring sound then charging will complete, however,
  • If after locking the car the charge port locks with the whirring sound BUT then, within 15 seconds, subsequently unlocks then locks again (also with two further whirring sounds) scheduled charging will fail. In this circumstance I think the charge port may not be properly locked, so the charge cable could be removed.
I now know to wait and check that that additional whirring noises are not heard after locking the car. If they are, I must repeat the events of unlocking the car, removing the charge cable, refitting and relocking - then waiting and listening.

Yes, occasonally mine tries unsuccessfuly to connect. Like most computererised gadgets I find if i disconnect the charging cable and re-connect it seems to work.

Thx for your response (and all the suggestions). This has caused me to research the pinout connections to the charge socket. As you rightly say (and from Wikipedia) the top two pins are for control signalling:
  • Proximity pilot (PP): pre-insertion signalling
  • Control pilot (CP): post-insertion signalling
Looking closely at the top right pin (CP) is recessed so I'm not surprised that the connection is interment, if that's the cause? Please could other members check to see if this is standard design or a flaw on my car. Pls see the images. Thx.
What is pre-insertion signalling? Surely the only signalling that can be done is post insertion? Or- are you talking insertion into the charger after insertion into the car - as with type 2?

Whilst I am an qualified electronics engineer, the issue here is actually more fundamental.

When the charging cable is inserted, the car then locked and subsequent multiple buzz/whirring noises heard, the charging plug has not been mechanically locked into placed and can be pulled back out again - even though the car is locked! Little wonder that charging does not commence.

Hence the success of the clever observation to hold the charging plug upwards a little when locking the car with the remote key: the car and charging cable are mechanically locked into place, thus guaranteeing the charge to be successful. I will be reporting this at the car's first service, next March. (It would seem to be a misalignment of the charger plug's locking pin, which causes aborted charger plug locking and a failed charge - infuriating if you don't know of this anomaly.)

I now know to wait and check that that additional whirring noises are not heard after locking the car. If they are, I must repeat the events of unlocking the car, removing the charge cable, refitting and relocking - then waiting and listening

Yes I have. Thought it was the car so checked with the garage if there was a way the car could refuse a charge and was told no. Car always charges fine on granny charger in outside socket on a standard plug in timer. After sorting out internet access to the Pulsar Plus charger and downloading latest update charger has not failed on the last 7 charges and also the light now goes out after about 15 seconds. Hopefully charging will continue to happen but your description of locking sound I have experienced and done what you say.

I have identical car ,charger, time of charging and electric supplier. But evenly same no charging issues And noticed double whirring sound. But not made a link between double whirring sound and no charge. I have spent at least 5/6 hours on phone to Pulsar plus back up support on the phone but have still not managed to find problem. The gentleman has even taken the latest software off my unit for he admitted that there is a problem with it and told me NOT to put it back on. I was awaiting a visit from their engineers but the engineers have said no point in visiting as the problem WILL NOT be with the unit but with the app. Thanks for that observation I will keep an ear open for that whirring next time. So similar to all aspects of my situation I thought for a second or two that I had written it but when I read the details of the second car I knew it was not me. Thanks.

I have identical car ,charger, time of charging and electric supplier. But evenly same no charging issues And noticed double whirring sound. But not made a link between double whirring sound and no charge. I have spent at least 5/6 hours on phone to Pulsar plus back up support on the phone but have still not managed to find problem. The gentleman has even taken the latest software off my unit for he admitted that there is a problem with it and told me NOT to put it back on. I was awaiting a visit from their engineers but the engineers have said no point in visiting as the problem WILL NOT be with the unit but with the app. Thanks for that observation I will keep an ear open for that whirring next time. So similar to all aspects of my situation I thought for a second or two that I had written it but when I read the details of the second car I knew it was not me. Thanks.
Just had the same problem hywel, for about the 4th time I've had to call Wallbox as the app and charger wont talk to each other, phoned yesterday and went through all sort of trial and error moves but still no luck I then asked for an exchange of unit but he was calling the installer to get them to try and get it working first, and...if they have no luck will change unit. My thoughts are they keep updating the app for the worse, lets go back to when it would always work...

These symptoms also infuriated me until I tried what was such a simple tip: after inserting, hold the charge plug up by just a few millimetres whilst simultaneously pressing lock on the car's key remote. You will not hear the double whirring sound and you can sleep so soundly in the reassurance that you MG is actually charging - this solved my issue instantly and I have not looked back!

Once my car goes in for its first annual service I shall raise this as an issue as, it is my belief, that the interlocking motor (that hold the charge plug in place does not always engage. You can prove this for yourself: if you plug in as normal (without holding up by a few mm) after hearing the double whirring, try pulling out the plug. You will surely find that the charge plug can easily be removed - as it's not locked in place!!! So simple - but so frustrating. I hope this helps.

All you need to do to stop it unlocking the plug is to hold the plug when locking the car, this takes the weigh of the cable off the plug.

Just had the same problem hywel, for about the 4th time I've had to call Wallbox as the app and charger wont talk to each other, phoned yesterday and went through all sort of trial and error moves but still no luck I then asked for an exchange of unit but he was calling the installer to get them to try and get it working first, and...if they have no luck will change unit. My thoughts are they keep updating the app for the worse, lets go back to when it would always work...
Interesting. Did you get a visit from a Wallbox engineer. The engineer has insisted there is no issue with my box although I have not had a visit.

Interesting. Did you get a visit from a Wallbox engineer. The engineer has insisted there is no issue with my box although I have not had a visit.
Hard to say hywel as Wallbox sent an engineer but I think it was a contract electrician who was very good as he opened the box tried a reset without success and decided to replace the box with a new unit and now working fine- I would strongly insist on a visit.

Hard to say hywel as Wallbox sent an engineer but I think it was a contract electrician who was very good as he opened the box tried a reset without success and decided to replace the box with a new unit and now working fine- I would strongly insist on a visit.
To update you with my Wallbox problem I now have a replacement sent yesterday. I now have to let Wallbox know so arrangements can be made by them to have fitted at no cost under warranty.

To update you with my Wallbox problem I now have a replacement sent yesterday. I now have to let Wallbox know so arrangements can be made by them to have fitted at no cost under warranty.
I was obviously lucky hywel where the engineer changed it on the spot and would later say to Wallbox that he had to do it !

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom