Fast Charger Cable Not Included - Huh?

MacG

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Does anyone else think it’s a bit silly that the fast charger cable is not included when you are effectively spending £30k on a vehicle.

Almost like the ‘batteries not included’ cop out. Makes me feel a little short changed.

That said, anyone have a recommendation for a decent one which I should now purchase?

It should come with a 'granny' lead and on the Affinity scheme you will get a type2 cable.
When getting a cable for a fast EVSE make sure it is rated for 32A and pick the length you require.
Rapid units have tethered cables and you can have home EVSE tethered or not.

It should come with a 'granny' lead and on the Affinity scheme you will get a type2 cable.
When getting a cable for a fast EVSE make sure it is rated for 32A and pick the length you require.
Thanks for the response. I am new to EV, this is my first so my terminology isn’t quite right. Whilst the granny charger is welcome, I still think for the price the type 2 should be part of the pack.
I have already signed so not sure if I qualify for affinity?

Does anyone else think it’s a bit silly that the fast charger cable is not included when you are effectively spending £30k on a vehicle.

Almost like the ‘batteries not included’ cop out. Makes me feel a little short changed.

That said, anyone have a recommendation for a decent one which I should now purchase?
You get the granny charger as others have said, I think it’s quite common with other brands not to get a type 2 charge lead included but I may be wrong, I got mine from EV Onestop, if you decide to get one from here I can give you a code to get £5 off

Is there any where written that affinity scheme gets a type 2 charger?
I ordered under the scheme and was told I only get a granny charger... 🙄 Unless the salesman lied to me or just weren't sure?

It is written on their price sheet... But I didn't realise the expense of the cable until it was too late. I did get paint, matts and locking wheel nuts. Also got additional discount which more than made up for the cable. This was before the current madness with chip shortage though.

I have a spare genuine MG 32A Type 2 5m cable in MG Bag which I no longer need as I got one with my new ZS SR Trophy as part of the Affinity deal, its yours for £150 plus postage if you like.

I have a spare genuine MG 32A Type 2 5m cable in MG Bag which I no longer need as I got one with my new ZS SR Trophy as part of the Affinity deal, its yours for £150 plus postage if you like.
Thanks, but I don't have the car yet. Not sure when I will get it to be honest. So for now I will pass. Thanks. I'm going the dealer will throw it in when the time comes

Just google type 2 cable and buy wherever has the best deal. They are all covered by some standard or other.
Just make sure it is 32amp and pick a length to suit yourself, 5m is the most common but longer are available but obviously heavier and more cumbersome.

I ordered under the scheme and was told I only get a granny charger... 🙄 Unless the salesman lied to me or just weren't sure?
We bought with affinity/blue light discount and they gave us a free type 2 lead because of it

You get the granny charger as others have said, I think it’s quite common with other brands not to get a type 2 charge lead included but I may be wrong, I got mine from EV Onestop, if you decide to get one from here I can give you a code to get £5 off
I got Type 2 cable with my ZOE50 but no granny cable included. I have to buy one.

What do you mean by "fast charger cable"?
If you have a DC charging cable (CCS) in mind, then you don’t need it as it is part of a DC charging station.
However, if you have Type 2 charging cable in mind, then this is a normal AC charging cable (single or three phase). And it’s a real shame not to get it with the car, even though some models are only equipped with a single-phase AC charger.
So-called granny cable has at one end a plug for use "at home" and at the other end a Type 2 connector for connection to the car. AFAIK it goes with car.

What do you mean by "fast charger cable"?
If you have a DC charging cable (CCS) in mind, then you don’t need it as it is part of a DC charging station.
However, if you have Type 2 charging cable in mind, then this is a normal AC charging cable (single or three phase). And it’s a real shame not to get it with the car, even though some models are only equipped with a single-phase AC charger.
So-called granny cable has at one end a plug for use "at home" and at the other end a Type 2 connector for connection to the car. AFAIK it goes with car.
Rapid charging is CCS.
Fast charging is type 2.
Slow charging is ICCB cable (granny charger).

The most silly thing is that the cable they offer, in a little MG branded bag cost double, what the cable i ended up buying.

When we were negotiation for the car, the salesman quickly moved past the car stuff, and onto the "extra stuff"

He wanted me to buy the cable, i asked him if this was a special cable or if any of the half as expensive ones that were also type 2 32A were fine, and he confirmed that any cable would work.

Then he wanted to sell me a package with mats, a parking timer, and a boot liner at £260

The parking timer £30 if it buy and fit it my self so he basically wanted me to pay £230 for a set of mats and a boot liner, which i found to be VERY expensive.

I only paid extra for the paint, and a trailer hitch.

He also wanted to sell me the V2L adaptor, but again...The price for what it is, is just insane.

The most silly thing is that the cable they offer, in a little MG branded bag cost double, what the cable i ended up buying.

When we were negotiation for the car, the salesman quickly moved past the car stuff, and onto the "extra stuff"

He wanted me to buy the cable, i asked him if this was a special cable or if any of the half as expensive ones that were also type 2 32A were fine, and he confirmed that any cable would work.

Then he wanted to sell me a package with mats, a parking timer, and a boot liner at £260

The parking timer £30 if it buy and fit it my self so he basically wanted me to pay £230 for a set of mats and a boot liner, which i found to be VERY expensive.

I only paid extra for the paint, and a trailer hitch.

He also wanted to sell me the V2L adaptor, but again...The price for what it is, is just insane.
What is a parking timer?

What is a parking timer?
In Denmark there is a lot of places where you can park without paying, but there is a time limit.

For example in my city, you can park in a parking lot relatively close to the pedestrian street, but to avoid all of the employees of the shops, parking there, they have made it 3 hour parking.

The parking timer is to show when the car was parked.

This is the one they wanted to sell me in their package, but i just bought it myself and will fit it myself.

Runs off of solar, so no battery to go dead, and it detects movement, and when i stop the car and there is no movement, it will set the parking time to the next 15 minute mark.

If i park there at, say 8:10, the parking timer will indicate that i parked at 8:15 and if i am still there after 11:15 i can get fined.

Usually in negotiations I would push for the cable and mats etc. but given that it seems to be a seller's market at the moment and they offered 11% discount up-front, I don't mind spending £150 for a cable, and then rubber mats + any small extras - it is a pretty small price considering.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom